• Playwire Ad Area

Maryland vs American

flyingcement

125: Jack Maida major decision over Braxton Brown.  Maida dropped down from 133 where he was a NQ last year.

133: Max Leete, reportedly on redshirt, is apparently not, because he wrestled tonight up at 133 and took a close loss to King Sandoval of Maryland.  Leete used his physical strength as an advantage last year at 125, but looked smaller than Sandoval.

• Fire 1

Will Jarrell has put on a ton of weight and is now a bona-fide heavy.  He had a cradle locked up on Nevills which seemed to awaken the former Penn State football player from hibernation but only briefly.  6-2 by the bear is the final score.  

Edited by flyingcement

Thanks for the updates cement, Clemsen has been steadily getting Maryland better and better.  The cupboard was REAL bare when he got there and he wasn't a "big name" hire, but you have to give him props. 

Edited by Gantry
  • Fire 2

29 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Thanks for the updates cement, Clemsen has been steadily getting Maryland better and better.  The cupboard was REAL bare when he got there and he wasn't a "big name" hire, but you have to give him props. 

i find it useful to catagorize people on "makes the sport better/worse". I'm not a big fan but he makes the sport better.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

I saw some good and some bad for the Terps tonight.

Brown- he was crisp and had some nice attacks in the first period... and then he just died. Seriously, I thought they were going to need a stretcher to haul him off the mat. My initial guess was weight issues, early season conditioning problems, or even some type of illness. Reading Clemson's comment in an above post backs up my initial thought. Well, I hope he gets it together soon- the only other 25 on the roster is little more than a warm body.

Sandoval- I've always dug his "go for broke" style, and I'm excited to see if he can finally put the pieces together in what I think is his 6th year. No fireworks tonight, but a grinding win against a solid opponent (who is also a home run hitter).

Miller- Dude looks huge at 41, and he obviously he spent some time in the weight room this summer. His opponent tonight wasn't a ringer, but Miller was aggressive and physical. Things began to click for him late last season, and it looks like he hasn't missed a beat (again though- this is against AU). 

Miller- Same as above. He added some muscle and looked solid. He faded down the back stretch a bit- something that haunted him a bit last year (i.e. Shane Van Ness match).

North- Workmanlike win. North is a grinder, and I don't expect bombs from him, but I would have liked to see a bit more against an unheralded true freshman.

Best- I like Best. He goes hard, and is surprisingly slick at times; unfortunately, "surprisingly slick" doesn't do much in the B10. But he looked fine tonight against a lower-tier opponent, and I'll take it.

Solis- Solis tends to wrestle up or down to his opponents ability. This is OK against most B10 schools, where the Terps just need him to avoid bonus losses. It's not against teams like AU.

Mielnik- Like last year, this weight is gonna hurt the Terps, and I just don't see either of the potential starters scoring many quality wins. Dude is game and physical, but just gets caught out of position too often. 

Smith- Looked like a top-10 wrestler.

Nevills- Yeah, he's a heavyweight... but I really, really hoped to see him light up the board and look like the all-everything recruit he was several years ago. Instead he eked out a forgettable win against a .500 opponent. 

It's very early in the season, and AU is a subpar team, so I'm not trying to read too deeply into this match. That said, Brown's performance is obviously the biggest area of concern, followed by Nevills' listlessness. I also think North can turn it up a bit, and I'd like to see the 149 Miller stay sharp through all three periods. I thought 141 Miller looked fantastic, as did Smith, and I liked both Best's and Sandoval's efforts. 

Thanks for the match notes, Flying Cement. Go Terps!

• Fire 4

I'm a big Clemson fan.  We both wrestled and graduated from the same HS, except way different decades- lol.  His contributions as an ast coach at Mizzou are appreciated and I had confidence that he could get things turned around at Maryland, with time.  My only fear was that he would use home state connections to recruit "Show Me" talent, and he did get some good ones with the Millers.  Maryland is my 2nd favorite team to cheer for.

• Fire 1