• Playwire Ad Area

Navarro Schunke

SunDevil

9 hours ago, SunDevil said:

Should have chosen wrestling over Kansas State. 

I would feel the same way if it was my team he would have wrestled for....but you can't blame a 4-star football recruit who grades out at 90 to choose football and the possible future it could bring him. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I would feel the same way if it was my team he would have wrestled for....but you can't blame a 4-star football recruit who grades out at 90 to choose football and the possible future it could bring him. 

Or the fact football at the D1 level is a head count sport, they aren’t doing partials at K-State when even the best D1 wrestlers are fortunate to get a full boat to attend school and compete. Backup punters on scholarship have better deals than wrestlers in most cases.
  • Fire 3

Insert catchy tagline here. 

36 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

He's a big kid who has to watch his weight to make Hwt. I'd bet he will be playing football at around 320 once he gets on a weight program.

I heard he was over 300 for football last year. I think around 310 and had to cut down to make 285.

5 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Or the fact football at the D1 level is a head count sport, they aren’t doing partials at K-State when even the best D1 wrestlers are fortunate to get a full boat to attend school and compete. Backup punters on scholarship have better deals than wrestlers in most cases.

Schunke is attending KState as a preferred walk-on.

i am an idiot on the internet

14 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Schunke is attending KState as a preferred walk-on.

Kind of strange to me. Per Rivals he is a 4-Star recruit and the #18 interior offensive lineman in the country. I would think there would be a scholarship attached to those accolades.... 

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Kind of strange to me. Per Rivals he is a 4-Star recruit and the #18 interior offensive lineman in the country. I would think there would be a scholarship attached to those accolades.... 

K State attracts that many four star recruits? I don't really follow college football, but that seems very strange

Why would you wrestle in college vs play football? Wrestling full scholarships are extremely rare, most of the time it’s split. Football there are 85 per team. You can’t just train hard and eat. Wrestling you may have to control your weight. Both will come out extremely beat up on the backside.

There is no chance at money on the backend from wrestling unless you aspire for MMA and even so that is the few who make that money and for him he would need to shrink even more. He’s been a 220 since 8th grade. Football, sure it’s a longshot but the payout would be way more. 

Riley Reiff could have wrestled in college with a similar SD wrestling pedigree as a multiple time champ. He used his skill set and mindset and has made $50 million

Edited by Lunaticfringe

10 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Why would you wrestle in college vs play football? Wrestling full scholarships are extremely rare, most of the time it’s split. Football there are 85 per team. You can’t just train hard and eat. Wrestling you may have to control your weight. Both will come out extremely beat up on the backside.

There is no chance at money on the backend from wrestling unless you aspire for MMA and even so that is the few who make that money and for him he would need to shrink even more. He’s been a 220 since 8th grade. Football, sure it’s a longshot but the payout would be way more. 

Riley Reiff could have wrestled in college with a similar SD wrestling pedigree as a multiple time champ. He used his skill set and mindset and has made $50 million

Schunke is a preferred walk on currently. If he performs well, I’m sure he will get a scholarship but as of now he has no scholarship.

Why wrestle instead of play football? Because wrestling is the greatest sport in the world!!!! 

• Fire 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:01 AM, Idaho said:

There’s a lot of money and opportunity out there now for secondary sports. K State isn’t exactly but a football staple. But glad he chose what is apparently his bigger passion.