• Playwire Ad Area

The Cy-Hawk dual will be the first regular season dual ever to be broadcast on ESPN.

headshuck

56 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

First time ever is pretty crazy! Hard to believe.

Yeah, a bunch of folks were digging to make sure this was actually confirmed. ESPN research dug through the archives as well to confirm. My only thought that could have been an option was back in the early 1980s when ESPN launched, they put a lot of weird stuff on the air - obscure leagues and smaller college sports - so my thought was an IPTV dual could have shown up on the network back in the day tape-delayed. Apparently not. 

We just saw Big Ten women's volleyball on broadcast television for the first time last night. It's good for non-football and basketball sports. 

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

19 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Yeah, a bunch of folks were digging to make sure this was actually confirmed. ESPN research dug through the archives as well to confirm. My only thought that could have been an option was back in the early 1980s when ESPN launched, they put a lot of weird stuff on the air - obscure leagues and smaller college sports - so my thought was an IPTV dual could have shown up on the network back in the day tape-delayed. Apparently not. 

We just saw Big Ten women's volleyball on broadcast television for the first time last night. It's good for non-football and basketball sports. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Big Ten women's volleyball had twice the viewership of all of wrestling. They do a really good job with it and it's a good product. 

So Cassioppi, Assad, Brands, Siebrecht, Schriever, and PK will all be out then, still.

125 - Ayala
133 - Teske
141 - Woods
149 - Voinovich
157 - Franek
165 - Caliendo
174 - Swafford/Arnold/Rhodes
184 - Swafford/Arnold/Rhodes
197 - Franklin/Glazier
285 - Hill

That is still a salty Dual Lineup...

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/perma/668/iowa-vs-iowa-state

Keep in mind it has Chittum (ISU) and Arnold (Iowa) losing via bonus.  Neither will happen if those Frosh take the mat.

I think Arnold at 184 and Swafford at 174, unless the plan was for Swafford at 184 all along with Assad going up?  Not sure.

In any case Iowa will/should be fine even without the gents that are suspended.  Both for this dual and for NCAAs.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

With all the viewing options these days is this even a big deal?

Yes, because the guide on your smart TV has replaced the "channel surfing" click-click-click drive-by viewer. 

We've got viewing options as wrestling fans. We know where to go. Putting a big dual on a channel that isn't randomly there for niche sports fans helps get the sport added exposure. A lot more cable and streaming systems carry ESPN than they do ESPNU or ESPNews. Duals on ESPN and ESPN will have the opportunity for more eyeballs. 

Is it a huge deal? Maybe not, but it's definitely big. 

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

7 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Yes, because the guide on your smart TV has replaced the "channel surfing" click-click-click drive-by viewer. 

We've got viewing options as wrestling fans. We know where to go. Putting a big dual on a channel that isn't randomly there for niche sports fans helps get the sport added exposure. A lot more cable and streaming systems carry ESPN than they do ESPNU or ESPNews. Duals on ESPN and ESPN will have the opportunity for more eyeballs. 

Is it a huge deal? Maybe not, but it's definitely big. 

So is FS a huger deal?  

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

So Cassioppi, Assad, Brands, Siebrecht, Schriever, and PK will all be out then, still.

125 - Ayala
133 - Teske
141 - Woods
149 - Voinovich
157 - Franek
165 - Caliendo
174 - Swafford/Arnold/Rhodes
184 - Swafford/Arnold/Rhodes
197 - Franklin/Glazier
285 - Hill

That is still a salty Dual Lineup...

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/perma/668/iowa-vs-iowa-state

Keep in mind it has Chittum (ISU) and Arnold (Iowa) losing via bonus.  Neither will happen if those Frosh take the mat.

I think Arnold at 184 and Swafford at 174, unless the plan was for Swafford at 184 all along with Assad going up?  Not sure.

In any case Iowa will/should be fine even without the gents that are suspended.  Both for this dual and for NCAAs.

Feldkamp has decked better, bigger wrestlers than Arnold. Although, Arnold could do what he does best, and avoid actual wrestling positions, and keep it close.

I would expect both Swiderski or Echemendia to beat Voinovich. 

I think State wins 149, 165, 174, 184, 197 and 285 if the suspensions are upheld.

15 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Feldkamp has decked better, bigger wrestlers than Arnold. Although, Arnold could do what he does best, and avoid actual wrestling positions, and keep it close.

I think State wins 149, 165, 174, 184, 197 and 285 if the suspensions are upheld.

He was also decked in there of his six loses last year, one of them being Chattanooga's Matthew Waddell.  Add in the loss to a JuCo kid and this is more of a match than you are giving it credit for.

Feldkamp had ONE (1) Top 50 win the entire season prior to NCAAs.  I will admit that the ~14 Pins he had on the season should make anyone he goes up against a bit worried.

That said, Arnold has a better chance to not get decked than Swafford (my opinion).

1 hour ago, ionel said:

With all the viewing options these days is this even a big deal?

Definitely more people that get ESPN than Flo or BTN.

Maybe ESPN realizes that with so many people cutting the cord, old grumpy wrestling fans make up a bigger percentage of viewers than they used to.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Here is Arnold avoiding wrestling against Nit recruit Connor Mirasola 

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Here is Arnold avoiding wrestling against Nit recruit Connor Mirasola 

I don't get it.

He was wrestling there.

I don't think you understand what you're trying to say, here.

Give us something where he wasn't doing anything.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't get it.

He was wrestling there.

I don't think you understand what you're trying to say, here.

Give us something where he wasn't doing anything.

Gabe is a great wrestler and fun to watch. My comment was in response to Le duke's "Although, Arnold could do what he does best, and avoid actual wrestling positions, and keep it close."

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Gabe is a great wrestler and fun to watch. My comment was in response to Le duke's "Although, Arnold could do what he does best, and avoid actual wrestling positions, and keep it close."

Bro... my man...

That air whooshing over your head?  You hear it? 😛

I was with you the whole time.