• Playwire Ad Area

NCAA individual titles by State?

AgaveMaria

No bets from me.  As should be WELL known by now,  I follow my Dad's one piece of advice,  being don't make a bet that you won't win. 

In other words,  sucker bets is my game.  I guess, with that dais,  I would be willing to bet someone that Iowa has some homegrown national champions. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Answering the first part of the first post. States without an NCAA University/Division I champion (or single division which ran prior to 1963). # of All-Time places in parenthesis. 

Alaska (3), Alabama (5), Georgia (18), Kentucky (4), New Hampshire (1), Nevada (12), Rhode Island (6), South Carolina (4), Vermont (1), West Virginia (10) and for good measure, Washington D.C. (4). 

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

6 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Answering the first part of the first post. States without an NCAA University/Division I champion (or single division which ran prior to 1963). # of All-Time places in parenthesis. 

Alaska (3), Alabama (5), Georgia (18), Kentucky (4), New Hampshire (1), Nevada (12), Rhode Island (6), South Carolina (4), Vermont (1), West Virginia (10) and for good measure, Washington D.C. (4). 

Seeing West Virginia in there caught me a bit by surprise.  Separately I know New Hampshire is not a big wrestling state, but Timberlane used to have a strong program and it made me wonder whether they might have had one.  Guess not.  Thanks for sharing this

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Seeing West Virginia in there caught me a bit by surprise.  Separately I know New Hampshire is not a big wrestling state, but Timberlane used to have a strong program and it made me wonder whether they might have had one.  Guess not.  Thanks for sharing this

Jared Haught is the state's only D1 finalist. 

• Fire 1

Georgia has produced 18 NCAA D1 All-Americans?   And Nevada 12?   If only either (or preferably  both) had any NCAA D1 wrestling teams nowadays.   

It's puzzling how just north of Georgia, South Carolina has produced merely 4.   This despite having had the likes of Clemson wrestling outstandingly well as recently as 1995 or so.    Clemson had someone place 3rd and another 1st that year (or right before then), but the former was from (I think) Colorado and the latter (Sammie Henson) from...  I guess Oklahoma & / or Missouri.    

One reason I asked is because of former BYU wrestling Coach Fred Davis.

When coaching he was asked why he was not recruiting kid from Utah.

"Ever see an NCAA Champion from Utah?" was his answer. This was while on a recruiting trip to Idaho where

he was recruiting a family of wrestlers who gave him four All Americans out of the six young men who wrestled for him.

Don't remember if Cael was the first Utah kid to win an NCAA title.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

I was curious about Alaska, thanks

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

One reason I asked is because of former BYU wrestling Coach Fred Davis.

When coaching he was asked why he was not recruiting kid from Utah.

"Ever see an NCAA Champion from Utah?" was his answer. This was while on a recruiting trip to Idaho where

he was recruiting a family of wrestlers who gave him four All Americans out of the six young men who wrestled for him.

Don't remember if Cael was the first Utah kid to win an NCAA title.

Cael (4), Holker (1), Matt Brown (1) are it in D1. 
Seth Wright in D2, Matt Carter in NAIA and 10 guys in the NJCAA. 

Edited by Jason Bryant
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Cael (4), Holker (1), Matt Brown (1) are it in D1. 
Seth Wright in D2, Matt Carter in NAIA and 10 guys in the NJCAA. 

If it's the same Seth Wright,  he may have wrestled at UNI for a couple of years.  I honestly never knew what happened to him. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

20 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Going into last year (since I don’t have the current sheet on my phone)

This is from my annual Preview Guide.

2de494b5d19ccaad10a701515aee8af4.jpg

Curious.  Is Clemson's Noel Loban accounted for as a NY wrestler or does England get credit.  How are wrestlers like Beau Bartlett accounted for?  Pennsylvania or Arizona?

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Curious.  Is Clemson's Noel Loban accounted for as a NY wrestler or does England get credit.  How are wrestlers like Beau Bartlett accounted for?  Pennsylvania or Arizona?

Noel counts for NY. It’s based on where the wrestlers list their hometown. Mark Hall listed Apple Valley, Minnesota, so he counted for them. It’s up to where the athlete (at least in recent years) go. Ed Ewolt started my list in the 1970s and I think he used whatever was listed in the program.

Bartlett counts for whatever he lists on his Penn State bio. I do have HS stats dating back about a decade and am working on back filling that data.
  • Fire 3