• Playwire Ad Area

At the 11th hour…..

WrestlingRasta

Might anyone here know what percentage of guilty pleas are merely the result of distrust in the system, rather than a sincere belief in one's guilt?   I am unaware of such a statistic, but I imagine that plenty exist.   In criminal court, folks can plead guilty and get much smaller sentences than what they risk getting at trial.   And juries are unpredictable, with many members wishing they were someplace else.    I know of someone who pleaded guilty and got 7 years, to avoid getting 80 if he lost at trial.   It was a book-keeping dispute.    Anyhow during his 7 years he conclusively disproved 6 of the 7 allegations for which he pled guilty.   He was working on disproving the 7th when the door to freedom opened up.  I don't know if he disproved that one, too, after leaving.   

3 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Might anyone here know what percentage of guilty pleas are merely the result of distrust in the system, rather than a sincere belief in one's guilt?   I am unaware of such a statistic, but I imagine that plenty exist.   In criminal court, folks can plead guilty and get much smaller sentences than what they risk getting at trial.   And juries are unpredictable, with many members wishing they were someplace else.    I know of someone who pleaded guilty and got 7 years, to avoid getting 80 if he lost at trial.   It was a book-keeping dispute.    Anyhow during his 7 years he conclusively disproved 6 of the 7 allegations for which he pled guilty.   He was working on disproving the 7th when the door to freedom opened up.  I don't know if he disproved that one, too, after leaving.   

The crux of the argument seems to be anecdotal, referencing an individual's experience. While it's unfortunate if someone faces a grave miscarriage of justice, one individual's experience cannot be generalized to represent the entire judicial system. Empirical data is needed to make such broad claims.

If the individual in the story faced such grave potential penalties for what is described as a "book-keeping dispute," it raises questions about the quality of legal counsel they had. A robust defense would be crucial in such situations.

In conclusion, while the anecdote shared is compelling and highlights potential issues, generalizing this experience to the entirety of the justice system requires careful examination and empirical evidence. Reforms may be needed, but they should be based on comprehensive data and a deeper understanding of systemic issues.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I've seen assertions published by folks in the know regarding how criminal law punishes folks heavily for not taking plea deals.   I'd like to see hard data on it, but I haven't researched it.   

While the assertion that the criminal justice system, in practice, may indirectly 'punish' those who opt for trial over accepting plea deals is not without merit, it's crucial to delve deeper and understand the nuances:

Plea bargains have become a fundamental component of the U.S. criminal justice system. In fact, the vast majority of criminal cases are resolved through plea bargains rather than trials. This is not necessarily because defendants are 'punished' for not taking them, but often because they offer a more predictable outcome than going to trial.

The concept you're referring to is often termed the 'trial penalty,' wherein defendants who go to trial and lose might receive harsher sentences than if they had taken a plea deal. While there are instances of this happening, it's essential to note that a plea deal is an agreement. Prosecutors might offer lighter sentences in exchange for certainty, saving the state time and resources on prolonged trials.

Before making conclusive judgments, it's imperative to look at empirical data and peer-reviewed research on this topic. Anecdotal evidence or assertions, even from 'folks in the know,' may not always capture the broader context or represent systemic trends.

Every criminal case is unique, with its own set of facts, evidence, and circumstances. Deciding whether to take a plea deal is a complex decision that a defendant makes in consultation with their counsel, considering numerous factors, not just potential sentencing outcomes.

While there are valid concerns about the dynamics of plea bargaining in the criminal justice system, it's essential to approach the topic with a comprehensive understanding and not solely rely on broad assertions without detailed research and data.

I worry about the "prison industrial complex's" influence on getting guilty pleas, and for extensive sentences.   Might anyone know how much it donates to each of the major political parties?   Is it more to one than the other?   

The Shawshank Redemption is a well done movie, but it gives me chills...      I've only seen it once because I can't deal with the prison rape scenes.   But excluding those, I've seen scenes on the internet especially regarding its ending.   Well done, especially for a movie that performed so poorly at the box office.   

2 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I worry about the "prison industrial complex's" influence on getting guilty pleas, and for extensive sentences.   Might anyone know how much it donates to each of the major political parties?   Is it more to one than the other?   

The Shawshank Redemption is a well done movie, but it gives me chills...      I've only seen it once because I can't deal with the prison rape scenes.   But excluding those, I've seen scenes on the internet especially regarding its ending.   Well done, especially for a movie that performed so poorly at the box office.   

While concerns about the influence of the prison industrial complex are valid, it's essential to differentiate between genuine concerns and generalizations. The complexity of the criminal justice system cannot be reduced to the singular influence of one industry. Multiple factors, including societal values, political beliefs, and economic conditions, contribute to decisions regarding guilty pleas and sentencing.

Before jumping to conclusions based on political donations, it's crucial to have comprehensive data and context. It's also important to note that corporations and industries donate to political parties for various reasons, and it's an oversimplification to attribute this to a single agenda. Moreover, the act of donating to political parties doesn't directly equate to policy outcomes; many additional factors influence policy decisions.

While "The Shawshank Redemption" offers a vivid and at times harrowing portrayal of prison life, it's crucial to remember that it's a work of fiction. Real-world prisons have a wide range of conditions, management practices, and inmate experiences. It's essential not to conflate Hollywood's depiction of prison life with the entirety of real-world prison experiences.

The success or failure of a movie at the box office doesn't necessarily reflect its quality or impact. Many critically acclaimed films did not perform well initially but later found their audience and achieved cult status. The long-term influence and significance of "The Shawshank Redemption" attest to its quality rather than its initial box office numbers.

1 minute ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Morgan Freeman has stated that the name contributed to the box office malaise that Shawshank endured.    The title isn't explanatory or descriptive enough for early rounds of movie goers to process.   But as it gained name recognition...   

While Morgan Freeman is an esteemed actor with an intimate connection to "The Shawshank Redemption," his opinion about the title affecting box office numbers is just that – an opinion. There are myriad factors that influence a movie's initial success, including marketing strategies, competition, timing, and even global events.

Many films with unconventional or non-descriptive titles have gone on to achieve both critical acclaim and box office success. For example, "Inception," "Fargo," and "Memento" are titles that don't necessarily provide clarity on the film's content, yet they were well-received and financially successful. A title's descriptiveness is only one element in a multifaceted equation that determines a movie's success.

While name recognition undoubtedly plays a role in a film's long-term success, attributing the entirety of "The Shawshank Redemption's" acclaim to this single factor oversimplifies its journey. The movie's compelling storyline, stellar performances, and adept direction all significantly contributed to its eventual recognition as a cinematic masterpiece.

In conclusion, while the title of "The Shawshank Redemption" might have initially puzzled some potential viewers, it's an oversimplification to place the brunt of its early box office performance on this single factor. Great films often find their audience over time, and the legacy of a film isn't solely determined by its initial box office numbers.