• Playwire Ad Area

Sidney Powell takes a plea deal to have her charges reduced in GA RICO case

VakAttack

John Hinderaker:

“In any event, it appears that the false statements, the making of which Ellis supposedly aided and abetted, were statements to the effect that there had been widespread fraud in Georgia in the 2020 election:

Their false statements included baseless claims of massive voter fraud – including through mail-in ballots, and with thousands of supposedly illegal votes from felons, minors and “dead people.”

Were these statements actually false? Does the prosecution claim that there was no voter fraud? That no mail-in ballots were illegally cast? That no illegal votes were cast on behalf of felons or dead people? Presumably not. The falsity apparently resides in whether any such fraud was “massive,” or enough to reverse the outcome of the election in Georgia. But in the immediate aftermath of the election, no one knew how extensive the fraud was. That was a matter for proof in a post-election contest.

The Georgia prosecution is intensely political, even compared with the other criminal cases in which Donald Trump is embroiled. It seems intended to chill apparently losing Republican candidates from pursuing legal remedies, as, for example, Al Gore did in 2000. And it has elements of a Soviet show trial, with Ellis tearfully confessing her alleged sins for the benefit of the press.

It is a dirty business, and it isn’t over yet.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/10/jenna-ellis-pleads-guilty.php

3 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

John Hinderaker:

“In any event, it appears that the false statements, the making of which Ellis supposedly aided and abetted, were statements to the effect that there had been widespread fraud in Georgia in the 2020 election:

Their false statements included baseless claims of massive voter fraud – including through mail-in ballots, and with thousands of supposedly illegal votes from felons, minors and “dead people.”

Were these statements actually false? Does the prosecution claim that there was no voter fraud? That no mail-in ballots were illegally cast? That no illegal votes were cast on behalf of felons or dead people? Presumably not. The falsity apparently resides in whether any such fraud was “massive,” or enough to reverse the outcome of the election in Georgia. But in the immediate aftermath of the election, no one knew how extensive the fraud was. That was a matter for proof in a post-election contest.

The Georgia prosecution is intensely political, even compared with the other criminal cases in which Donald Trump is embroiled. It seems intended to chill apparently losing Republican candidates from pursuing legal remedies, as, for example, Al Gore did in 2000. And it has elements of a Soviet show trial, with Ellis tearfully confessing her alleged sins for the benefit of the press.

It is a dirty business, and it isn’t over yet.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/10/jenna-ellis-pleads-guilty.php

For the sake of having all the information, you may want to read the actual charges she plead guilty to rather than a writer's 'summation'.  The actual charging documents are just a smidge more specific, will help clarify.

6 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

For the sake of having all the information, you may want to read the actual charges she plead guilty to rather than a writer's 'summation'.  The actual charging documents are just a smidge more specific, will help clarify.

I suspect that is the last thing he will want to do.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I only posted part of the write up.  If you go to the link, it includes the statute for the ‘crime’ she pled to.

Just now, Offthemat said:

I only posted part of the write up.  If you go to the link, it includes the statute for the ‘crime’ she pled to.

I did go to and read the link.  It lists the statue, it says nothing of the actual charges.  It lists the statute then creates a cloud of doubt by saying absolutely nothing specific of the charges.  The kind of writing he knows people will fall for.

Like I said, for the sake of getting all the information (accurate information, as it were), you should read the actual charges.

14 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I did go to and read the link.  It lists the statue, it says nothing of the actual charges.  It lists the statute then creates a cloud of doubt by saying absolutely nothing specific of the charges.  The kind of writing he knows people will fall for.

Like I said, for the sake of getting all the information (accurate information, as it were), you should read the actual charges.

I’ve read the charges.  I understand perfectly the difference in charges, indictments, etc, and statutes.  The former are allegations, sometimes at variance with facts and statutes presented; the latter which one must be proven to be in violation of.  

I believe that considering the level of crimes pled to so far, and the punishments handed out, that finances figured a prominent role in the decisions.  That won’t be the case for Trump, and you can expect that any of these novel cases that go against him will be decided at the Supreme Court, where venue will play no role. 

Just now, Offthemat said:

I’ve read the charges.  I understand perfectly the difference in charges, indictments, etc, and statutes.  The former are allegations, sometimes at variance with facts and statutes presented; the latter which one must be proven to be in violation of.  

I believe that considering the level of crimes pled to so far, and the punishments handed out, that finances figured a prominent role in the decisions.  That won’t be the case for Trump, and you can expect that any of these novel cases that go against him will be decided at the Supreme Court, where venue will play no role. 

Of course.   

But, if you read the actual charging documents, you wouldn't have to ask the questions you copied and pasted above.  So, there's that.   But, we all know where this goes...

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The concept of letting people with lesser culpability plead to lesser charges in an effort to get the more culpable people is extremely common practice in the American legal system.  It's used against anything from theft rings, drug cartels, etc.

Thanks for the info. 

Just now, mspart said:

Is that what Trump is charged with?  Voting R? 

mspart

No.  I'm saying that people of the opposing parties can't charge me with any crime at all because I voted D (for the first time in my life)? Trump isn't being charged with voting or being a Republican.

5 minutes ago, mspart said:

True.   He's being charged for being Trump while Candidate.  

That's my $0.02. 

mspart

Are Sydney Powell, Jenna Ellis, Cheesbro, Nauta, Measows, ‘Trump while Candidate’?

No.  But you know what they are….talking. 

(And soon to be RINO’s, against America, China agents, blah blah blah) 

The  tweets from Inmate have to be out of this world. 

Liar Sydney Powell.

Corrupt Jenna Ellis

RINO Mark Meadows.

Pretty close,  friends?

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 10/24/2023 at 4:29 PM, mspart said:

True.   He's being charged for being Trump while Candidate.  

That's my $0.02. 

mspart

Hey Art,

Trump was always a bad guy. Not because of R v D - but because it's in his nature to be a criminal.

He was a criminal before, during, and after he left office.

You backed the wrong horse.

If there ever was a time to move forward, it is now.

That's my fifth of a dime.

• Fire 1

“Prosecutors are simply not in the habit of developing serious felony cases and then offering plea deals that amount to a legal “nothingburger” for the defendants involved. Even when trying to “flip” defendants to testify against others in the case, the normal prosecutorial practice is to still require some significant pain in the plea deal with cooperating defendants because if they don’t, then the defense lawyers for the defendants who go to trial can argue to the jury that the deals are so sweet they shouldn’t believe a word the flipped defendants are saying.

That is not what is happening with the plea deals in Trump’s Georgia case, however. These deals with Powell, Chesebro, and Ellis are really, really sweet deals. Deals so sweet that no rational defense lawyer could advise the client to reject them.”

https://1ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fthefederalist.com%2F2023%2F10%2F28%2Fgeorgia-da-offers-nothingburger-plea-deals-to-build-parade-of-witnesses-for-later-show-trials%2F

• Haha 1