• Playwire Ad Area

How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?

How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?

• More than 1, but less than McCarthy
    • McCarthy
    • More than McCarthy
    • Jordan will not be elected Speaker of the House

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Final not-so-secret secret ballot was 86 yes, 112 no.

What a bunch of panzies. Vote one way in public and another way behind closed doors (said the anonymous guy on the internet).

Woof.  Tough break for the most popular Republican in the caucus.

McCarthy endorsed Emmer, who will be unlikely to win in my opinion, showing he was never behind Jordan; the two couldn’t be more different.  Judging his moves, he is positioning for a return as the only one who can lead the party and never should have been expelled.  Kind of an “If I can’t have it, I’ll burn it down” play.

48 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

McCarthy endorsed Emmer, who will be unlikely to win in my opinion, showing he was never behind Jordan; the two couldn’t be more different.  Judging his moves, he is positioning for a return as the only one who can lead the party and never should have been expelled.  Kind of an “If I can’t have it, I’ll burn it down” play.

The fault McCarthy has is that he wasn't strong enough to stand up to the Freedom Caucus in his first run for Speaker. It was always going to end this way once he agreed to the one rep recall vote.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

19 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

Dan Crenshaw seems to be somewhat popular. With the pirate patch and a former Navy seal. I wonder if he has an any aspirations to be speaker?

Agree with this...I like Dan Crenshaw...super smart, level headed and doesn't get all emotional with his response, just states facts

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The fault McCarthy has is that he wasn't strong enough to stand up to the Freedom Caucus in his first run for Speaker. It was always going to end this way once he agreed to the one rep recall vote.

The motion to vacate has been around since Jefferson.  McCarthy’s problem was he agreed to do a list of things, then failed to do them.  He promised to do budget bills by normal order and didn’t.  He sent Congress off on a six week vacation instead of staying to work on the bills, and then was found to have made secret plans with Biden and the democrats to pass CRs and omnibus.  I didn’t trust him from before he won the seat.  

12 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

The motion to vacate has been around since Jefferson.  McCarthy’s problem was he agreed to do a list of things, then failed to do them.  He promised to do budget bills by normal order and didn’t.  He sent Congress off on a six week vacation instead of staying to work on the bills, and then was found to have made secret plans with Biden and the democrats to pass CRs and omnibus.  I didn’t trust him from before he won the seat.  

You are conveniently ignoring what I said. It was the concession to allow a single rep to call for a vote to vacate that was his undoing. It put the minority in charge. And like petulant children, when the Freedom Caucus found they had to compromise for progress to be made, they stomped their feet and threw a hissy fit. And when it blew up in their face, they tried to blame everyone else. This is all on MAGA. No one else.

Gaetz looks like very childish now.   He was just selfishly craving spotlight and fund raising.  Worse than not having a path forward, which he didn't have, he didn't understand what he was creating.  I wonder if there is a mechanism to rank the most squandered Congress?  This could be it.  Trump did a sort of denial of service attack on the Senate as well.  He couldn't hire proper leadership so the Senate had to waste confirmation hearing after confirmation hearing.

13 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are conveniently ignoring what I said. It was the concession to allow a single rep to call for a vote to vacate that was his undoing. It put the minority in charge. And like petulant children, when the Freedom Caucus found they had to compromise for progress to be made, they stomped their feet and threw a hissy fit. And when it blew up in their face, they tried to blame everyone else. This is all on MAGA. No one else.

You are ignoring what I said.  The motion to vacate rule is historic, and Gaetz didn’t do this alone.  You can’t call what the Freedom Caucus did a hissy fit without also calling what Emmer and his band of McCarthyites did the same for having not voted for Jordan.  The difference is, Jordan sides with the Budget Responsibility group, and McCarthy sides with the Modern Monetary Theory bunch. 

Edited by Offthemat

3 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

You are ignoring what I said.  The motion to vacate rule is historic, and Gaetz didn’t do this alone.  You can’t call what the Freedom Caucus did a hissy fit without also calling what Emmer and his band of McCarthyites did the same for having not voted for Jordan.  The difference is, Jordan sides with the Budget Responsibility group, and McCarthy sides with the Modern Monetary Theory bunch. 

What is not historic is the concession to allow one person to call for the vote. As a matter of fact it is unprecedented. It had never happened before. And one person did call for the vote. Gaetz. Just Gaetz. Not voting for Jordan isn't a hissy fit at all. 112 Republicans did not want him as their Speaker. Only 20 - 25 had the courage to say so publicly.

112 > 1.

That is democracy. 1 is not democracy.

28 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What is not historic is the concession to allow one person to call for the vote. As a matter of fact it is unprecedented. It had never happened before. And one person did call for the vote. Gaetz. Just Gaetz. Not voting for Jordan isn't a hissy fit at all. 112 Republicans did not want him as their Speaker. Only 20 - 25 had the courage to say so publicly.

112 > 1.

That is democracy. 1 is not democracy.

You’re wrong about that.  It only takes one to make the motion but you better have enough to vote with you to vacate.  There were more who would have voted along with Gaetz if it had been necessary.  

Jordan had 200 on the floor, where votes are on record.  Where their constituents could see how they voted.  Do you prefer to know how your representative votes, or do you prefer he keep his vote secret?  Do you prefer democracy behind closed doors?

This is not childish, it’s serious.  We are $33trillion in debt, with interest nearing $1trillion per year.  It is affecting our ability to defend ourselves.  It is as much a threat to our country as China, Russia, and Iran combined.  We’ve had interest rates this high before, but not with this much debt.  Someone needs to exercise some responsibility and the public is behind doing so.  That’s why the reps vote differently depending on whether there is a record of their vote.  In public they tend to vote for the public interest.  In private they tend to vote for K Street, Wall Street, and the MIC. 

Edited by Offthemat