• Playwire Ad Area

Wrestle-offs Schedule and Results

flyingcement

5 hours ago, Gantry said:

What is the difference between that and a wrestle-off?

No official score kept, limited room out of bounds, and running clock.  Ref's were present this year but basically just practiced saying TD3 and talked about the rule changes and points of emphasis to the guys wrestling.  The Gopher's coaches set the lineup based on early season open tournament results and past performance.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

What weight do we expect Max McEnelly and Gavin Nelson at? Salazar is at 184 which is McEnelly ideal weight. How is Tyler Wells comparatively to Jake Gliva?

McEnelly 184 and Nelson 197, but I'm sure both will redshirt unless something changes.  Gliva didn't wrestle at the open practice yesterday, so I've never seen him and Wells scrap.  Wells had 4 takedowns to 0 against Jager Eisch, who is solid.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, MNRodent said:

McEnelly 184 and Nelson 197, but I'm sure both will redshirt unless something changes.  Gliva didn't wrestle at the open practice yesterday, so I've never seen him and Wells scrap.  Wells had 4 takedowns to 0 against Jager Eisch, who is solid.

Sounds like Wellls might be even better than expected 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Any word on how McEnelly and Nelson are looking in the room?

7 hours ago, Gus said:

Any word on how McEnelly and Nelson are looking in the room?

I thought they looked really good as did Ethan Riddle at 174, but don't put all that much stock in short goes with teammates.  The Bison and Dak Opens should really show where they're at.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Where was Whiting at, gents?

He was there walking around and hanging out with everyone. 

I know the 3 184s all wrestled each over two weeks ago. I would expect him to wrestle at the invite in two weeks. Last year Hawks didn’t wrestle at black n gold and was at the invite. 

Edited by Mhlm
  • Fire 2

4 hours ago, MNRodent said:

I thought they looked really good as did Ethan Riddle at 174, but don't put all that much stock in short goes with teammates.  The Bison and Dak Opens should really show where they're at.

Minnesota is turning into AWA northwest.  Riddle made some incredible jumps between his junior and senior year of HS which made him a steal of a recruit.  He was probably a little bit overlooked because he lived in the same geographic vicinity as some other blue chip guys such as the Mirasola twins, Charlie Millard, and Braeden Scoles.  However, that dude can scrap and is very hard to score on.  I saw some Minnesota discussion that dismissed Riddle, Millard, and Wyatt Duchateau as "depth guys" for the Gophers, and I think that assessment is dead wrong, based on the trajectory of Askren (particularly Max Askren) protegees in college so far.

Edited by Konquest
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Minnesota is turning into AWA northwest.  Riddle made some incredible jumps between his junior and senior year of HS which made him a steal of a recruit.  He was probably a little bit overlooked because he lived in the same geographic vicinity as some other blue chip guys such as the Mirasola twins, Charlie Millard, and Braeden Scoles.  However, that dude can scrap and is very hard to score on.  I saw some Minnesota discussion that dismissed Riddle, Millard, and Wyatt Duchateau as "depth guys" for the Gophers, and I think that assessment is dead wrong, based on the trajectory of Askren (particularly Max Askren) protegees in college so far.

Blaine Brenner is also looking good up at 165.  He was 132 as a high school senior if I'm remembering correctly.

47 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Where does Hunter Lyden fit in?  Can he take Brenner?

At this point it looks like Brenner has the advantage but who knows down the road.  Lyden has seemed like someone who wrestles up to the level of competition.  He is also coming off missing pretty much all last year due to injury, so I'm not counting him out.

• Fire 1