• Playwire Ad Area

Trump Files Motion to Dismiss

Offthemat

Good read by Will Scharf:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1709994666467192942.html

A short while ago in federal court in Washington, D.C., President Trump filed a motion to dismiss the case pending against him there for his alleged actions in the aftermath of the 2020 elections. The motion cites presidential immunity as a ground to dismiss the case in its entirety. This is a very big deal.

The motion persuasively argues that the D.C. case should be dismissed, and if past practice is any guide all proceedings could and should be stayed while this issue is litigated fully. Notably, this same reasoning should apply to the ongoing Georgia prosecution as well.”

Edited by Offthemat

Just now, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Elsewhere I've read that the Donald (a former wrestler, as we know) has been invited by some to serve as the interim House speaker, replacing Rep. McCarthy.    Reportedly it's legal even though he's not a member of Congress, at least not presently.

Yes, it’s been brought up before that there is no requirement to be a member to be the speaker.  Trump has endorsed Jordan, another former wrestler (he beat John Smith) but has also allowed that he himself could fill in on a temporary basis if it is desired.  

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Elsewhere I've read that the Donald (a former wrestler, as we know) has been invited by some to serve as the interim House speaker, replacing Rep. McCarthy.    Reportedly it's legal even though he's not a member of Congress, at least not presently.

There is nothing in the Constitution that says the Speaker of the House must be a member of the house.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Just now, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

True, speaker is not required to be a member of the house.  Doubt he is eligible as he is under indictment for a crime carrying potential incarceration of 2 or more years.   Maybe the house GQP will waste the court’s time, in addition to their own.

Impeachment and conviction first. 

That’s a political act, when in office. These are criminal charges.

Tell me what role the president has in elections run by the states. He clearly acted well outside any authority granted to him by the constitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, speaker is not required to be a member of the house.  Doubt he is eligible as he is under indictment for a crime carrying potential incarceration of 2 or more years.   Maybe the house GQP will waste the court’s time, in addition to their own.

Some GQP members have already indicated they’ll change their own rules for him.

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

That’s a political act, when in office. These are criminal charges.

Tell me what role the president has in elections run by the states. He clearly acted well outside any authority granted to him by the constitution.

You read the link?  There is precedence. 

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Electing Trump Speaker of the House would be the ultimate admission of failure by the Republican party. If they cannot find a leader among 221 members they are well and truly broken.

Based on merit.  He is the leader of the Republican Party.  Like I said, Trump has endorsed Jordan. 

You read the link?  There is precedence. 

Yeah. Terrible argument by the author.

As soon as the author starts talking about Nixon’s civil liabilities, and why he couldn’t be sued, sorry, the author’s argument is shit.

Crimes committed outside the scope of the office resulting in federal and state criminal charges are not akin to civil liability. The author likely knows this, but also, knows his mark: you.

Electing Trump Speaker of the House would be the ultimate admission of failure by the Republican party. If they cannot find a leader among 221 members they are well and truly broken.

Hmm. I can think of similar desperation moves like wheeling out Feinstein to vote.
  • Fire 1

Just now, headshuck said:

Hmm. I can think of similar desperation moves like wheeling out Feinstein to vote.

Not at all. She wasn't wheeled out by the Democrats, she was elected to her position by her constituents, as ridiculous as that was. She was a poster child for term limits and should have resigned long ago.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

15 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Yeah. Terrible argument by the author.

As soon as the author starts talking about Nixon’s civil liabilities, and why he couldn’t be sued, sorry, the author’s argument is shit.

Crimes committed outside the scope of the office resulting in federal and state criminal charges are not akin to civil liability. The author likely knows this, but also, knows his mark: you.

It’s one of several filings that have been expected and discussed since the indictment.  It will be decided by the Supreme Court, if that gives you comfort.