• Playwire Ad Area

The feds can't even peddle treasury bonds nowadays as markets wake up to USDebtClock.org

Hopefully endowed wrestling programs haven't banked too naively on the feds' purported long term solvency?   The federal gubmint can't even peddle treasury bonds nowadays without enduring growing losses as markets wake up to the ever growing federal debt exposed at: http://www.USDebtClock.org:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/bonds/treasury-bond-yields-market-selloff-market-crashes-dot-com-bubble-2023-10

Understandably, talk of secession is gaining traction but hopefully breakaway territories will keep (and continue to grow) wrestling at least for the Olympics and for intercollegiate competitions throughout North America:

http://www.Seceder.com

Meanwhile it would seem that universities and colleges will increasingly need students who can pull their own weight, tuition-wise.   After all, the well of student loans for majoring in nonmarketable academic disciplines (such as gender studies and other reverse discrimination pursuits) appears to be increasingly drying up.   

As for Dept. of Education bureaucrats who interpret & enforce Title IX to try to scare schools away from maintaining or reinstating men's wrestling teams and other sports glorifying rugged individualism for both genders, it would seem that the feds' enforcement officials will increasingly demand lofty penalties and attorneys fees for their "services".   Otherwise they won't have as easy of a time financing their lavish lifestyles.   Some women may be up for wrestling men who identify as females, but Washington D.C. may increasingly find that schools won't pay such heavy fines.     

Any predictions for wrestling's future?    BTW, hopefully women's wrestling will continue to grow.   

dwts-contestant-maria-menounos-partners-

1 hour ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

the feds' purported long term solvency?

Insolvency of the Fed is not a thing due to their ability to affect the money supply

The federal gubmint can't even peddle treasury bonds nowadays without enduring growing losses as markets wake up to the ever growing federal debt exposed at: http://www.USDebtClock.org

The Fed has zero problem selling Treasury Bonds. As a matter of fact here is a quote from your article: "a deluge of Treasury issuance this year". And the Fed is not enduring losses. It is the purchasers of the bonds that are incurring the losses.

talk of secession is gaining traction

Nope. And, OM God, that seceder link was one of the funniest things I saw today. Thank you for that.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Venezuelans have reportedly been buying bread with loads of their national currency during recent years. 

WO-AZ356_VENBIL_M_20160203201918.jpg

Fortunately for their country, they have petroleum to help them avoid even more malaise.   Nevertheless it's reminiscent of the Germans after the first world war.    Here's a photo from Germany taken in 1923:

4773ac13caaae59a0a2889ffe4c4116c.jpg

The USA's feds are unable to demand nearly as much as they previously could for their monopoly money.   But if you don't consider that a loss, that's your right.    If you think insolvency isn't a thing for the U.S.A.'s money-printers, that's your right. 

As for seceding, I guess you don't celebrate July 4th then?   Dozens of new countries have emerged, worldwide over the past few decades.   As for Texas... http://www.seceder.com/Texas 

40 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Venezuelans have reportedly been buying bread with loads of their national currency during recent years. 

Fortunately for their country, they have petroleum to help them avoid even more malaise.   Nevertheless it's reminiscent of the Germans after the first world war.    Here's a photo from Germany taken in 1923:

The USA's feds are unable to demand nearly as much as they previously could for their monopoly money.   But if you don't consider that a loss, that's your right.    If you think insolvency isn't a thing for the U.S.A.'s money-printers, that's your right. 

As for seceding, I guess you don't celebrate July 4th then?   Dozens of new countries have emerged, worldwide over the past few decades.   As for Texas... http://www.seceder.com/Texas 

You come up with the most random stuff. Reminiscent of post WWI Germany, my ass. Now we are going from silly to downright dumb.

By the way, how were you right in that first post? I am really looking forward to your answer.

Regarding my initial post in this thread, I'm still trying to figure out where I (allegedly) was not right.   We agree to disagree.   I'd compare the disagreement to an ideological one between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, but the latter agreed with the former more than he cared to publicly admit.  Impressively, the latter even allowed secession to happen.   (I attended one of his speeches and enjoyed it.)   Numerous new countries emerged because of his relative tolerance, and it seems that wrestling has benefited as a result.  I would like to see amateur wrestling survive and thrive post-breakup in what's presently the U.S.A, too.    You are welcome to do so, as well.   I don't pretend to have all the answers to the challenges that wrestling has ahead.   It's not even guaranteed an Olympic presence in 2032...        

40 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I don't pretend to have all the answers to the challenges that wrestling has ahead.   It's not even guaranteed an Olympic presence in 2032...       

By then most people may be fed up with the Olympics and what they have done to themselves and it might not be too controversial if wrestling is kicked out and replaced by whatever new and up and coming hacky sack type thing comes along.

BTW - I was at a wrestling camp as a kid.  Guest was Fred Fozzard.  The guy was an absolute specimen of natural athletic ability.   He had this new game that the makers shared with him before going into production.   He called it hacky sack and taught a few of the guys how to play.   He was pretty good at it and it just wasn't around but he pretty much mastered it.   I will never forget that guy, he was a machine. 

mspart

There are those who believe that without the Olympics, funding for our sport will dwindle very substantially in many countries (including our own).    I think it would help if we could inspire more folks in more U.S. states and also in Latin America to embrace wrestling vigorously as an ongoing Olympics sport.   I'm grateful that Stanford helps keep wrestling alive in Mr. Fozzard's Northwest.    Without Stanford, Oregon State and Cal. Poly might be significantly more eager to drop wrestling, along with Cal. St. Bakersfield and Cal. Baptist.   It's a house of cards, but the region has influence over Latin America.   So do New Mexico & neighboring Texas but NCAA D1 wrestling is presently absent from both states, as far as I know.    

God, please let Texas and the rest of the South secede.

That would be amazing. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

MTG would make an interesting House speaker, wouldn't she?  🙂

BTW, I've read that Donald Trump could legally be the interim House speaker even though he's not a member of Congress.  He has received some invitations, too...  

Since you have this in multiple threads I will add my comment about that here too.

If the Republicans choose Trump as Speaker of the House it will show they are well and truly broken. The inability to find a Speaker among their 221 members would be the ultimate statement that they are unable to rule.

Or maybe the House could benefit from having an outsider serve as interim House speaker, in order to alleviate suspicions that (for example) some seek to avenge what recently happened to Kevin McCarthy.   Donald, a former wrestler, could unify the House with a potential fascination with his electoral resilience and eagerness to keep on keepin' on.   

Incidentally I think I published the abovementioned brief newsworthy post responsively in one or perhaps two other threads in these forums.     

19 hours ago, Le duke said:

God, please let Texas and the rest of the South secede.

That would be amazing. Seriously.

Meanwhile, New Hampshire has a growing share of seceders:

https://nhexit.us/

Would you tolerate their seceding, too?

How about part of Northern California?

https://www.yescalifornia.org/

Greater Idaho?

https://www.greateridaho.org/

Seceding's not just a southern phenomenon, as you presumably already know...   

What's reported at http://www.USDebtClock.org is increasingly burdensome regardless of one's region...

The Northern CA thing won't happen.   They won't become another state.   They would have to be absorbed by Oregon or Nevada.

The Idaho thing is not really a thing.   No one lives in eastern Oregon (population wise).   It is a barren wasteland.   Why would Idaho want that?    I don't think either of these has a chance to become real.  

There was an effort years ago that rural parts of King County, WA wanted to become Cedar County.   It also failed. 

They are ideas but not viable ones in my opinion.

mspart

Years ago, the U.S. national debt hadn't yet sextupled like it did from 2000 to 2023.

Oregon has access to the Pacific Ocean.   That could benefit Idaho, especially if it seeks to become a new nation (like a growing percentage of folks living in relatively nearby Alberta, Canada reportedly does).   

As for California, if it was a country, it'd have one of the world's Top 5 (or so) gross domestic products (GDPs).  They're not eager out there to keep supporting Washington D.C. with all the taxation that's demanded of them.   That's increasingly a theme elsewhere, too...    

53 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Years ago, the U.S. national debt hadn't yet sextupled like it did from 2000 to 2023.

Oregon has access to the Pacific Ocean.   That could benefit Idaho, especially if it seeks to become a new nation (like a growing percentage of folks living in relatively nearby Alberta, Canada reportedly does).   

As for California, if it was a country, it'd have one of the world's Top 5 (or so) gross domestic products (GDPs).  They're not eager out there to keep supporting Washington D.C. with all the taxation that's demanded of them.   That's increasingly a theme elsewhere, too...    

Oregon does have access to the Pacific Ocean with few ports.   The the part of Oregon that wants to be part of Idaho is landlocked.  No access to ports. 

California, yes Top 5 economies in the world.   But not the part that supposedly wants to secede.   It is a small part of CA and generally an unproductive one unless you include all the farming country which is in the middle of the state.   But that is not northern CA.  

I'm not seeing this happening anytime soon.   A proposal is one thing, but no full support is another.   And this would take all kinds of support.   Redrawing state boundaries is a federal job I imagine.   Probably not a lot of support in Congress for this kind of thing. 

mspart

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, mspart said:

Oregon does have access to the Pacific Ocean with few ports.   The the part of Oregon that wants to be part of Idaho is landlocked.  No access to ports. 

California, yes Top 5 economies in the world.   But not the part that supposedly wants to secede.   It is a small part of CA and generally an unproductive one unless you include all the farming country which is in the middle of the state.   But that is not northern CA.  

I'm not seeing this happening anytime soon.   A proposal is one thing, but no full support is another.   And this would take all kinds of support.   Redrawing state boundaries is a federal job I imagine.   Probably not a lot of support in Congress for this kind of thing. 

mspart

IIRC, secession has been tried before and there was reasonably stiff opposition.  @BobDole - you were there.  What was the prevailing opinion ?

Edited by Plasmodium

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

IIRC, secession has been tried before and there was reasonably stiff opposition.  @BobDole - you were there.  What was the prevailing opinion ?

Well back then the prevailing opinion was that some people are a few grains short of a beach if you get what I'm sayin'.