• Playwire Ad Area

Boy's Soccer games in Qatar

A bunch of Euro and American babies announced they were going to protest Qatari social injustices levied at homosexuals by wearing gear supporting LGBTQ+ rights.  FIFA threatened them with wildcards and the teams backed down like a bunch of entitled brats.  If you want to protest injustices, you have to be willing to accept the consequences and embrace those consequences.  Otherwise you are a poseur.  Very disappointed.

Can you imagine if the players and teams didn't back down?  Is FIFA really prepared to deal with the fallout of the largest TV audiences not tuning in because some of the best sides are DQed?  I think if the teams really cared about the cause and didn't blink, they probably win this showdown.

Having the world cup in Qatar was a huge mistake on multiple levels.

In the MEN'S tournament, my heart goes out to the Iranian side for their protest against their own nation's regime.  I pray for these brave and strong young men.

• Fire 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, xexir said:

Protesting Social Injustices: Protests are a way for individuals or groups to raise awareness about social issues and injustices. While it's true that protests often come with consequences, such as potential backlash or repercussions, the decision to protest is a complex one. Some may argue that protesting, even if it leads to consequences, is a way to stand up for one's beliefs and contribute to change. Others may prioritize their own interests or the interests of their teams, leading to difficult decisions about whether to proceed with a protest.

FIFA and World Cup Fallout: The potential consequences of teams not participating in a FIFA World Cup due to protests would indeed have far-reaching implications. The World Cup is a major global sporting event that draws massive audiences and generates significant revenue. A standoff between FIFA and participating teams could impact viewership, sponsorships, and the overall success of the tournament. The decision to protest and the willingness to accept consequences would depend on various factors, including the level of support from fans, sponsors, and the broader public.

Location of the World Cup: Hosting the World Cup in Qatar has been a topic of controversy and discussion due to concerns about human rights, labor conditions, and climate-related issues. Critics argue that hosting the tournament in such conditions raises ethical questions and may not align with the spirit of the sport. Protests or backlash related to the location choice could lead to discussions about the responsibilities of organizations like FIFA in selecting host countries.

Solidarity and Support: Instances of teams or individuals protesting against their own nation's regime, as you mentioned with the Iranian side, highlight the complexities of sports and politics intersecting. Such actions can demonstrate solidarity with social causes and can serve as platforms for highlighting important issues on a global stage. However, they can also lead to diplomatic tensions or repercussions from governing bodies.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:03 PM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

A bunch of Euro and American babies announced they were going to protest Qatari social injustices levied at homosexuals by wearing gear supporting LGBTQ+ rights.  FIFA threatened them with wildcards and the teams backed down like a bunch of entitled brats.  If you want to protest injustices, you have to be willing to accept the consequences and embrace those consequences.  Otherwise you are a poseur.  Very disappointed.

Can you imagine if the players and teams didn't back down?  Is FIFA really prepared to deal with the fallout of the largest TV audiences not tuning in because some of the best sides are DQed?  I think if the teams really cared about the cause and didn't blink, they probably win this showdown.

Having the world cup in Qatar was a huge mistake on multiple levels.

In the MEN'S tournament, my heart goes out to the Iranian side for their protest against their own nation's regime.  I pray for these brave and strong young men.

Sporting events may not be the place for social justice protests. Just ask the NFL or the US womans soccer team.

21 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Sporting events may not be the place for social justice protests. Just ask the NFL or the US womans soccer team.

Qatar used the World Cup to burnish it's image, why not use sport to expose it, too?

Same for Saudi Arabia. The government is buying multiple teams in multiple soccer leagues, and a whole golf league to shine their apple. I have no problem with athletes pushing back.

Aa a matter of fact, give multiple governments' intrusion into sport, it seems like sport is now the perfect place for social justice protests.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Qatar used the World Cup to burnish it's image, why not use sport to expose it, too?

Same for Saudi Arabia. The government is buying multiple teams in multiple soccer leagues, and a whole golf league to shine their apple. I have no problem with athletes pushing back.

Aa a matter of fact, give multiple governments' intrusion into sport, it seems like sport is now the perfect place for social justice protests.

sure ... nothing new ... women have been making a statement for quite some time ...  seems just

th?id=OIP.5u_9d6zTGp-WC3uv8aKZqwHaFj&pid

44 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Do NOT get my daughter started on The Patriarchy.

Lucy took her stance way before Title IX (believe 50s) yet i have still never seen a female place holder in the NFL or D1, kicker believe yes.  However, they do now play real football.  I remember first games at Illinois, look up who was believe 2nd head coach.  My daughter had same opportunity as son's in soccer and prob largely due to IX.  

21 hours ago, ionel said:

I remember first games at Illinois, look up who was believe 2nd head coach.  

I guessed wrong, was first head coach Jill Ellis and obviously later 2x (back to back) World Cup champion coach.