• Playwire Ad Area

Shapiro - is he really a threat to win it as Freshman?

Dark Energy

Just now, Ban Basketball said:

The next big thing.  Seen a lot of trust hype over the years, with many living up to just about zero. 

No... we are talking world champs, not "next big things.'  You are responding to a thread about a young man who is a proven commodity, which was largely demonstrated by him winning junior worlds.  That is a lot of the buzz here.

The next big thing/ highly hyped rasslers.

There's a BIG list from twenty year's time. 

Ban, we are talking about Jr World Champs here. You saw the list that I provided above. There is a great chance that Shapiro will be an absolute stud. The median level guy in the list is someone like Bubba Jenkins or Mekhi Lewis. You have been provided with new info, it's time to adjust your expectations based on the new information that you have.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No... we are talking world champs, not "next big things.'  You are responding to a thread about a young man who is a proven commodity, which was largely demonstrated by him winning junior worlds.  That is a lot of the buzz here.

Ok,  good, i couldn't care any less. 

If you note,  I corrected my initial post in minutes when I creeped on him and saw that he's a Cornell recruit. Cornell hyped rasslers absolutely produce. 

Over and out.  It's petty and stupid. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Just now, Gus said:

Ban, we are talking about Jr World Champs here. You saw the list that I provided above. There is a great chance that Shapiro will be an absolute stud. The median level guy in the list is someone like Bubba Jenkins or Mekhi Lewis. You have been provided with new info, it's time to adjust your expectations based on the new information that you have.

TBH he did adjust his expectations when he heard Shapiro was attending Cornell.  Apparently attending Cornell is more closely related to D1 wrestling success that World titles in Ban's universe?

• Fire 1

Ok,  good, i couldn't care any less. 

If you note,  I corrected my initial post in minutes when I creeped on him and saw that he's a Cornell recruit. Cornell hyped rasslers absolutely produce. 

Over and out.  It's petty and stupid. 

Then why are you here, in this thread, and still responding?

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Good,  awesome!

I don't care.  I also said that he WILL produce because he's going to Cornell.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Stop changing the topic.  Junior/U20 World champ.  

But you only follow UNI...

Awesome,  good! He's my hero!

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Then why are you here, in this thread, and still responding?

Because you're asking me to reply. 

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

TBH he did adjust his expectations when he heard Shapiro was attending Cornell.  Apparently attending Cornell is more closely related to D1 wrestling success that World titles in Ban's universe?

I just didn't know he had that hardware. 

I just assumed North Dakota multi-time champ,  unbeaten high school career,  etc. Many of those don't produce. 

Happy for him and happy for Cornell. I'll be sure to watch him. 

Now someone compile the list of guys who have won both cadet AND junior world titles for the US.  I can think of Gable who won 2 cadet titles and 1 junior title.  Are there any others in USA wrestling history?  I'd say that puts Shapiro in some pretty rarified air.  If you don't think he has a chance to win a title this year, you haven't actually watched him wrestle. 

8 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Now someone compile the list of guys who have won both cadet AND junior world titles for the US.  I can think of Gable who won 2 cadet titles and 1 junior title.  Are there any others in USA wrestling history?  I'd say that puts Shapiro in some pretty rarified air.  If you don't think he has a chance to win a title this year, you haven't actually watched him wrestle. 

It's Gable, Spencer Lee, Mark Hall and Meyer Shapiro. 

Edited by Gus
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Gus said:

USA Jr Freestyle World champs since 2005

2007 - Bubba Jenkins

2013 - Kyle Snyder

2015 - Spencer Lee

2016 - Spencer Lee, Mark Hall

2017 - Daton Fix, Mark Hall, Gable Steveson

2018 - Mekhi Lewis

2019 - David Carr, Mason Parris

2021 - Kegan O-Toole, Rocky Elam, Braxton Amos

2022 - Jore Volk, Ben Kueter

2023 - Meyer Shapiro, Mitchell Mesenbrink

From what I can see on Cadet & Jr world champs the list includes: Gable Steveson, Mark Hall & Meyer Shapiro

Many many years ago on the old forum someone mentioned that winning a Junior World title is a reliable predictor of success in NCAA wrestling. SHP? JB? Nomad? I can't remember who said it but is has held up pretty well.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Many many years ago on the old forum someone mentioned that winning a Junior World title is a reliable predictor of success in NCAA wrestling. SHP? JB? Nomad? I can't remember who said it but is has held up pretty well.

That was me who said that. 😝

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Because the US has not been the best country in the world at wrestling-anybody good enough to beat them was likely much better than most competition domestically.

I wonder if this trend will change if Russia’s drop off continues.

11 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Because the US has not been the best country in the world at wrestling-anybody good enough to beat them was likely much better than most competition domestically.

I wonder if this trend will change if Russia’s drop off continues.

It kills me to reply to you,  but you make an interesting pernt. When MMA first came onto the scene many were decrying the death of Olympic/ International wrestling for the U.S.

That apprehension apparently didn't pan out,  or at least currently. 

34 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

It kills me to reply to you,  but you make an interesting pernt. When MMA first came onto the scene many were decrying the death of Olympic/ International wrestling for the U.S.

People were afraid MMA would turn into a legitimate sport and not the WWE ripoff/freak show that it is now.  

• Fire 1

On 9/29/2023 at 1:41 PM, Gus said:

It's Gable, Spencer Lee, Mark Hall and Meyer Shapiro. 

That’s a pretty short list of incredibly talented wrestlers! Interestingly, the only one of those three (excluding Meyer) to not win an NCAA title as a true freshman was Gable Steveson! I think it’s safe to assume Shapiro can compete for an NCAA title right away. 

22 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

It may have hurt Russia more.  For instance, lot of Dagestanis who would have likely been wrestlers have picked up MMA instead.  These guys may not have competed in wrestling for Russia or in big tourneys, but went to MMA young.  Dagestan doesn't have an unlimited supply of young men, and I think MMA may be taking away from their wrestling demographic.

41 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It may have hurt Russia more.  For instance, lot of Dagestanis who would have likely been wrestlers have picked up MMA instead.  These guys may not have competed in wrestling for Russia or in big tourneys, but went to MMA young.  Dagestan doesn't have an unlimited supply of young men, and I think MMA may be taking away from their wrestling demographic.

What little I follow international wrestling I haven't been able to help but notice over the past few years that every other name at the top is not a Russian any longer.