• Playwire Ad Area

Nelson Brands tweets details on why his NCAA career is over

Jimmy Cinnabon

I think this is more of a case that these student-athletes are not sorry that they broke NCAA rules but rather that they got caught. It is truly unfortunate that this ends the careers of some but being an NCAA wrestler, especially at Iowa is a responsibility. There are certain things that student-athletes cannot do (gambling, specific substances, etc.) that the average college student can do. To say that these student-athletes did not know the rules or consequences is very unlikely and they're most likely playing dumb. Student-athletes have meetings with compliance every year to cover the do's and don'ts as an athlete for their university. Whether you agree with the rule or not, it is well known that it is part of the NCAA rules and there should be no excuse for stating you did not know the consequences of breaking said rule. 

• Fire 1

We have a niche olympic sport. The little guys (wrestling, hockey, tennis, etc) and the no-future athletes like a certain QB going nowhere on the depth chart or professional level are going to get beat up and used as the compliance example of a cautionary tale for the revenue-driving sports. It is what is it is.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

I don't think an NCAA athlete should be betting on college sports, especially the football team at their own school. Presumably they could be privy to insider information, which makes this betting problematic. Also, in sports where athletes are underpaid, the availability of easy ways to wager is an issue, could be tempting to make a buck.

These look like somewhat small bets, so I don't think he was doing anything unethical, especially as some have pointed out that this is totally legal now! Oh well, I guess losing your final year or whatever of eligibility is just the idiot tax for this situation. We all pay  a version of that at some point for various mistakes.

• Fire 3

All states takes great pride in their colleges and like to see their college athletic teams succeed. I would doubt we see states lining up to start investigating students betting but rather use Iowa as a cautionary tale to look the other way. Furthermore, there are now lawyers on the defensive side that are saying what the state of Iowa did as far as geo-tracking the betting and such was not legal or constitutional. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. An overzealous prosecutor might have gotten out a bit over his skis on the whole matter.

• Fire 1

46 minutes ago, Lurk_Nowitzki said:

Sorta silly to say they’re taking away his career. Dudes been on campus since 2019. Timing is just such that this is his final year of eligibility.

Exactly, that's why I was a bit confused of his emphasis on "PERMANENT," since even if it was only a 1 year suspension, he'd be done.

44 minutes ago, Gus said:

Furthermore, there are now lawyers on the defensive side that are saying what the state of Iowa did as far as geo-tracking the betting and such was not legal or constitutional. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. An overzealous prosecutor might have gotten out a bit over his skis on the whole matter.

I dunno about that but Brands should get a lawyer and sue Draft Kings.   According to his tweet he signed up because they said if he placed a $5 bet on an NFL game as a new member he would receive $200, yet the account summary he posted only shows $51 in rewards and promotions.  Looks to me like he was cheated out of $149.  

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This is the poster who enjoys going out of his way to diminish the accolades of WW2 heroes.

WTF??? It was posted that Bill Koll was the father of Penn State wrestling and I didn't agree.   PSU won a pre NCAA national title and an NCAA title  many years before Bill got there.     How does that diminish BK's accolades?     

1 minute ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

WTF??? It was posted that Bill Koll was the father of Penn State wrestling and I didn't agree.   PSU won a pre NCAA national title and an NCAA title  many years before Bill got there.     How does that diminish BK's accolades?     

The "war heroes" post wasn't really the appropriate place for you to editorialize. 

Most basically for me is that the rules are stupid and Nelson acted like an idiot.  If gamblins is legal, it's legal, and the only time you shouldn't be permitted to gamble is if it's on a team on which you are a competitor.  Just because they might have known football players doesn't mean shit. This happens in actual gambling all the time where different people have "inside information".  For example, if my best friend played for the New York giants, I could still bet on the Giants games.

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Most basically for me is that the rules are stupid and Nelson acted like an idiot.  If gamblins is legal, it's legal, and the only time you shouldn't be permitted to gamble is if it's on a team on which you are a competitor.  Just because they might have known football players doesn't mean shit. This happens in actual gambling all the time where different people have "inside information".  For example, if my best friend played for the New York giants, I could still bet on the Giants games.

So only illegal activities are the benchmark for being ruled ineligible?

Also, I saw this mentioned somewhere in the thread, it wasn't within the program that Nelson was hearing to be t the under on Iowa football, nor is that what Nelson claimed in his Tweets; it was from social media.  Which is true, one of the biggest running jokes on college football podcasts and social media is Iowa going under constantly, it's what lead Shemp Ferentz' contract clause that he had to average 25 PPG to keep his job.

1 minute ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

So only illegal activities are the benchmark for being ruled ineligible?

No.  But you'll have to show me where this rule has any nexus w/ anything.  Gambling is (arguably) a vice.  Should we ban the kids for smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol?

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

No.  But you'll have to show me where this rule has any nexus w/ anything.  Gambling is (arguably) a vice.  Should we ban the kids for smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol?

An NLWC athlete/coach who trains with the PSU wrestlers on a daily basis has a deal with a sports betting company.  A bit shady! Why is he even allowed into the training facility?

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken