• Playwire Ad Area

Nelson Brands tweets details on why his NCAA career is over

Jimmy Cinnabon

Does anyone think those tweets might have some blow back on the coaches?  He admitted he didn't attend the meeting and received no education that he would lose his eligibility. People could construe that as a lack of guidance by the compliance officer/coaching staff...especially if they knew he didn't attend the meeting (I would think attendance would be recorded) and did nothing to get him up to speed.

Personally I think this 100% falls on Nelsons shoulders and the blame is squarely with him, but I have seen coaches/teachers fired for much less when their pupils screw up.

• Fire 1

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

26 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Does anyone think those tweets might have some blow back on the coaches?  He admitted he didn't attend the meeting and received no education that he would lose his eligibility. People could construe that as a lack of guidance by the compliance officer/coaching staff...especially if they knew he didn't attend the meeting (I would think attendance would be recorded) and did nothing to get him up to speed.

Personally I think this 100% falls on Nelsons shoulders and the blame is squarely with him, but I have seen coaches/teachers fired for much less when their pupils screw up.

I'm sure they're all getting their asses chewed out over it. Pretty embarrassing for the university, even worse that a coaches son is tweeting that he skipped the class and had no idea. 

• Fire 1

53 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

I think missing the meeting can be forgiven, but he should still know the rules.  I’d agree it should be mostly on him, but the fact that his dad & uncle are the coaches is certainly not a great look for them.

25 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I'm sure they're all getting their asses chewed out over it. Pretty embarrassing for the university, even worse that a coaches son is tweeting that he skipped the class and had no idea. 

Isn't this an annual meeting? He is in his 6th year at Iowa.  Did he skip it 5 straight years?

• Fire 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

Just like all those nurses agreed to take a medical experiment shot and all those Canadians were not forced to do it.  Just ask Justin Castro. 

"Agreed" under duress is not agreeing.  It is capitulating.  Pete should be in the Hall of Fame.  Write all about his failures as a man on his plaque or in a special section of the Hall if you want but his accomplishments should not be denied.  It is revisionist history and it is horrible.

I am not sure what distinction you are trying to make.  If Rose was under duress it was of his own making.  Was he under duress when he bet on the Reds 50+ times in 1987?  He simply agreed to the inevitable 

That he agreed to be placed on the ineligible list itself is a novelty.  No one else on the list agreed to be placed there.  This agreement came about because Rose refused to participate in the hearings and then sued to stop them.  The agreement was a settlement agreement to his lawsuit.  And whilst he had been granted a temporary restraining order stopping the hearing he wasn't going to win this lawsuit.

One final distinction is that Rose agreed to be placed on the ineligible list at the time there was no formal rule preventing someone on the list from being inducted into the hall of fame. So he didn't really agree to no hall of fame, but that ultimately was a consequence of his actions.

10 minutes ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

So how does he miss the meeting every season?  

Looking back at his tweets it says "I missed the meeting in 2022."  It doesn't say whether he also missed it in 2021, or 2020, or 2019, or 2018.

Edited by fishbane

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well to play devils advocate what year did gambling become legal in Iowa and have the NCAA rules changed the past few years at all?

After the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a federal ban on sports betting in 2018, Iowa legalized sports gambling Aug. 15, 2019. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

After the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a federal ban on sports betting in 2018, Iowa legalized sports gambling Aug. 15, 2019. 

Well then... did Iowa's internal class between 2019 and 2021 differ than that of 2022 in regards to punitive measures being taught?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

He had a year left, that's what he lost. Should he be suspended for his last year and then be able to come back and wrestle at 25?  Wouldn't be much of a punishment for a series of mistakes. Didn't go to the compliance meeting, who's fault's that. Sounds like a very important meeting to miss, and a subject that needed addressing more than once. It's a shame this happened. The NCAA has been pathetic for many years under Mark Emmert. New president is doing things different.

Sorry for the consecutive posts! Just catching up on things.

As someone who generally roots for the Hawks unless they are wrestling the Wolfpack, I am sorry to see these guys lose their final year, but I also understand the penalties and am fine with them.  He knew the rules and broke them.

What I am not fine with is that this only effects one state, and only a couple institutions in that state.  I am 100% certain that they would find similar transgressions amongst athletes in every Division 1 school, but those states aren't going to be investigated or punished.  Seems a bit "uneven."

33 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

There was some chatter on HR awhile back that the penalties could involve not ever even being allowed to coach in the NCAA.   Could that be what he's alluding to with saying "PERMANENTLY banned"?

Don't want to suggest that there are any dim-wits over there but some folks haven't converted to LED. 

Just now, Alces Alces Gigas said:

Its my understanding that it was the state not the NCAA that did the investigation.    The school was presented with the evidence and had to report it to the NCAA     Nothing uneven 

Please tell me about all the other states that did a similar investigation...  

That is what is uneven.

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

What I am not fine with is that this only effects one state, and only a couple institutions in that state.  I am 100% certain that they would find similar transgressions amongst athletes in every Division 1 school, but those states aren't going to be investigated or punished.  Seems a bit "uneven."

I bring up again the Dez Bryant case.  If the NCAA had hauled in every 19/20 year old in NCAA sports, how many could they have caught in a lie.  If every 20 something (or pick an age group) in the country were hauled in by the FBI, what percent could they trap into a lie?

They are not consistent we need VAR in NCAA enforcement.  

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

I bring up again the Dez Bryant case.  If the NCAA had hauled in every 19/20 year old in NCAA sports, how many could they have caught in a lie.  If every 20 something (or pick an age group) in the country were hauled in by the FBI, what percent could they trap into a lie?

They are not consistent we need VAR in NCAA enforcement.  

I mean, I have seen PSU fans and other Iowa/Brands haters positively giddy over this.  They act like its about "institutional control" and I've even seen some idiots remark "notice how no PSU athletes were caught."  There is a good chance PSU wrestlers have bet on college sports over the past couple years, but the state of PA did not go after underage gambling and they definitely did not target the top collegiate athletic programs in the state.

25 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I mean, I have seen PSU fans and other Iowa/Brands haters positively giddy over this.  They act like its about "institutional control" and I've even seen some idiots remark "notice how no PSU athletes were caught."  There is a good chance PSU wrestlers have bet on college sports over the past couple years, but the state of PA did not go after underage gambling and they definitely did not target the top collegiate athletic programs in the state.

I'm not so sure about that.  I think gambling is a sin.

There does seem to be some lack of institutional control.  Athletes are allowed to not learn the rules.