• Playwire Ad Area

Princeton U.'s wrestling situation, post Coach Ayres (who is heading to Stanford)?

23 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

Lenny Zalesky was the head coach at UC Davis when they got dropped. Also ODU dropping had nothing to do with Martin. 

Thank you for raising this matter.   I subsequently researched it and it seems that Coach Azevedo was at Cal. Poly, not nearby U.C. Davis:  

https://mustangnews.net/azevedo-leaves-his-mark-on-wrestling-program/

Here's a map from 2019 of NCAA (but apparently not NAIA) teams.  It appears that blue signifies D1.  But I'm not seeing Minnesota which existed before 2019, unlike the new D3 team in Texas (Schreiner U.).   Still, the map's helpful. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4eb4368c9f8ba1ec7cdd0d22fac47313.jpeg

Although the four hour drive between Cal. Poly: San Luis Obispo and Cal. Davis is comparatively small compared to many college wrestling road trips (especially at the D1 level), I agree that it's not a particularly small distance.  I looked on the map just now and am surprised to see how San Luis Obispo (where a Cal. Poly branch is that sponsors wrestling) is closer to Los Angeles than it is to San Francisco (which isn't that far from Cal. Davis... around 75 miles). 

This helps drive home in my mind the point that it would help Stanford U. wrestling, and for that matter San Francisco State and Oregon State if we could get more D1 teams to resurface or otherwise emerge in their region.  

As a sidenote, I grew up thousands of miles away from California.   I did, however, work for a while in Los Angeles but I never roadtripped it far north of there (just south of there, as far as Tijuana).   But I have flown in to (and visited) San Francisco, albeit from back East.   

Is there any chance we can boost the quantity of NCAA D1 wrestling programs in the northwestern USA?    Fortunately there's some quality NAIA wrestling up there.   I'd like to see the travel burden eased on the teams in that region.     

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

On 9/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, Corby said:

Not every D1 head coach wrestled D1 . JB definitely has a list of every HC and where they wrestled. Imagine are a few didn't I know Ludwig at NIU went to Findlay

Manning wrestled DII at Nebraska Omaha. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

23 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Here's a map from 2019 of NCAA (but apparently not NAIA) teams.  It appears that blue signifies D1.  But I'm not seeing Minnesota which existed before 2019, unlike the new D3 team in Texas (Schreiner U.).   Still, the map's helpful. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4eb4368c9f8ba1ec7cdd0d22fac47313.jpeg

Although the four hour drive between Cal. Poly: San Luis Obispo and Cal. Davis is comparatively small compared to many college wrestling road trips (especially at the D1 level), I agree that it's not a particularly small distance.  I looked on the map just now and am surprised to see how San Luis Obispo (where a Cal. Poly branch is that sponsors wrestling) is closer to Los Angeles than it is to San Francisco (which isn't that far from Cal. Davis... around 75 miles). 

This helps drive home in my mind the point that it would help Stanford U. wrestling, and for that matter San Francisco State and Oregon State if we could get more D1 teams to resurface or otherwise emerge in their region.  

As a sidenote, I grew up thousands of miles away from California.   I did, however, work for a while in Los Angeles but I never roadtripped it far north of there (just south of there, as far as Tijuana).   But I have flown in to (and visited) San Francisco, albeit from back East.   

Is there any chance we can boost the quantity of NCAA D1 wrestling programs in the northwestern USA?    Fortunately there's some quality NAIA wrestling up there.   I'd like to see the travel burden eased on the teams in that region.     

Schreiner was not D3 in 2019, they were still a club team. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Does Hahn want to leave SDSU? I thought he was enjoying it. 

I very much believe that he is enjoying it and is looking forward to reaping the benefits of what he has built at SDSU in his time there. He spent much of his previous years in a fundraiser role trying to finance the new wrestling facility. The new facility is built (its great, by the way - one of the best college facilities in the country) and now he can get back to spending his time focusing more on wrestling and less on financing, which he has stated that he is looking forward to. I hope that he makes SDSU his home and builds his legacy there!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I very much believe that he is enjoying it and is looking forward to reaping the benefits of what he has built at SDSU in his time there. He spent much of his previous years in a fundraiser role trying to finance the new wrestling facility. The new facility is built (its great, by the way - one of the best college facilities in the country) and now he can get back to spending his time focusing more on wrestling and less on financing, which he has stated that he is looking forward to. I hope that he makes SDSU his home and builds his legacy there!

That is great news! I like it when guys stay put for a while. Not like Minkel did at Michigan State lol. 

On 9/20/2023 at 1:44 PM, Gus said:

Isn't his wife's family from the area?

• 3 months later...