• Playwire Ad Area

Princeton U.'s wrestling situation, post Coach Ayres (who is heading to Stanford)?

9 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Instead of thanking Jesus in post-match interviews, his wrestlers will be praising Xenu. What a refreshing change.

Maybe but I think their responses to questions will be something like:

a) Sometimes you've just gota say what the f...

b) I felt the need the need for speed

c) What's done is done when I say its done

d) I didn't quit, none of us quit

e) ...

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the interesting suggestion.   Nontraditional backgrounds are not fatal to an eventual NCAA D1 coach's success, interestingly enough.   

Back around 2006, Va. Tech. hired a new head coach who had been a high school coach for the past 20 years or so (at Grundy & Christiansburg high schools).   After a bumpy start resulting substantially from recruits' defections to Iowa City, the Hokies ended up becoming the best they had ever been, on various levels.   Well enough that Iowa State subsequently strived (successfully) to lure Kevin Dresser back to his state of origin, where he coaches to this day.  

Meanwhile, Coach Azevedo coached from the topmost post at (I seem to recall) Cal: Davis after coaching at the high school level (Calvary Chapel, I think it was called).  

Similarly, Steve Martin coached at Great Bridge H.S. in Va. before taking over at Old Dominion University.  

If you know of other examples (and I can think of more), please feel free to share.    

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

13 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Thanks for the interesting suggestion.   Nontraditional backgrounds are not fatal to an eventual NCAA D1 coach's success, interestingly enough.   

Back around 2006, Va. Tech. hired a new head coach who had been a high school coach for the past 20 years or so (at Grundy & Christiansburg high schools).   After a bumpy start resulting substantially from recruits' defections to Iowa City, the Hokies ended up becoming the best they had ever been, on various levels.   Well enough that Iowa State subsequently strived (successfully) to lure Kevin Dresser back to his state of origin, where he coaches to this day.  

Meanwhile, Coach Azevedo coached from the topmost post at (I seem to recall) Cal: Davis after coaching at the high school level (Calvary Chapel, I think it was called).  

Similarly, Steve Martin coached at Great Bridge H.S. in Va. before taking over at Old Dominion University.  

If you know of other examples (and I can think of more), please feel free to share.    

Art Griffith

22 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Goodale was a high school coach also.

Does August Wesley count?

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Tom Borelli at Central Michigan. I don't think he wrestled in college. Monaco would be a great way to recruit NJ. Everybody knows him and his brothers. Edge was the first of it's kind anywhere and he has helped produce a ton of very good wrestlers. Another name nobody brought up yet is Jeff Buxton. 

• Fire 1

Tom Borelli at Central Michigan. I don't think he wrestled in college. Monaco would be a great way to recruit NJ. Everybody knows him and his brothers. Edge was the first of it's kind anywhere and he has helped produce a ton of very good wrestlers. Another name nobody brought up yet is Jeff Buxton. 

Tom wrestled at The Citadel …

Insert catchy tagline here. 

This is my semi-regular reminder that 1) success as a wrestler does not necessarily translate to success as a coach and 2) there is very sophisticated coaching at the high school/junior level. Not that Princeton's search needs to necessarily include junior and high school coaches, although Blair and Delbarton are practically next door.

I hope Princeton conducts a thorough search for the best coach possible. And, I hope they land on Terry Brands. His intensity and Princeton's culture would be a perfect match. 😆

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

14 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

Another name nobody brought up yet is Jeff Buxton. 

He's been sharpening his fangs at the college level, too.  Prior to that, Coach Buxton helped build Blair Academy into a wrestling dynasty...

Here he is coaching at Rutgers:

https://scarletknights.com/news/2022/12/6/wrestling-names-buxton-volunteer-assistant.aspx

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

3 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I hope Princeton conducts a thorough search for the best coach possible. And, I hope they land on Terry Brands. His intensity and Princeton's culture would be a perfect match. 😆

Princeton administration and professor's heads would explode.  A friend of mine is a professor there and I'd hate to hear that his head exploded.  😞

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:01 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Both of those programs are no longer around. I don't mind getting a HS coach, I do not want to see more programs getting cut. 

• Fire 1