• Playwire Ad Area

Stanford to join ACC

nhs67

57 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i don't understand the coveting of Florida State.

seems to me they've stunk the last decade or so. 

is it a market thing? 

i'd imagine Miami (who has stunk as equally) would bring more eyeballs but i'm just guessing. 

I don't think they are coveted, at least not by the B1G or SEC.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

I think we are just viewing this a lot differently. UNC football may not be a “needle mover” nationally, but neither are 75% of the other teams in the B10. You keep talking about the UNC beatdowns incoming if they move, but outside of Michigan and Ohio State I’m not sure where you’re finding those games. Maybe Penn State? They seem to win a lot of very close games though.  

Didn’t the B10 want UCLA? Is that a massive football powerhouse? No, it’s a damn good brand though. We are talking about a team that’s yearly football attendance is right at 40,000. I watched Nebraska play Minnesota last night and I’m positive UNC would hang 45 points on both of those teams (now our defense may also give up 45 points… but I digress on that yearly catastrophe). 

I’ve also seen some internal and external data about the individual team value to the ACC and have a high level of confidence that Florida State does very well financially. Dozens and dozens of lawyers have also analyzed that data and come to the same conclusion. Florida state in a disappointing year is still selling out games against Wake Forest and Boston College (see last year). Those teams aren’t doing them any favors with attendance and revenue generation. Here’s financial data from 2018 (when Florida State was terrible) showing that they make the 13th most money of any college in America and are right on par with Florida (144 million vs 149 million): https://www.tampabay.com/sports/florida-gators/2018/06/28/usa-today-florida-gators-fsu-among-15-richest-college-programs-in-the-country/?outputType=amp.

We can definitely revisit this in a few years but if Florida State, Clemson, and UNC are still in the ACC something crazy will have happened. It’s definitely going to be an interesting ride. 

We probably do agree more than we disagree.

The B1G didn't necessarily want UCLA - they wanted USC and the #2 TV DMA (5.8 million TV households and nearly nearly 15 million people) and UCLA was part of the package.

Don't underestimate the impact of the cable channels here, either, even with cord cutting accelerating. The B1G gets about $1/subscriber per cable household for The B1G cable channel. Assuming B1G now gets cleared on the LA cable systems, that would be an additional $1-$1.5 million/month for the channel just in LA, not to mention the other CA markets which would will pick up the channel moving forward. (Wondering how many systems clear the ACC Channel in CA or TX with their moves, although that network gets much lower rates per household, because, well, the football just isn't that good.) Maybe there is a similar opportunity for B1G to clear all of the cable homes in NC by adding UNC, but every day another household cancels its cable service, meaning the economic opportunity for the B1G here diminishes over time.

Again, Florida State makes me chuckle. They are hanging so much on last season when their fans wanted to run Mike Norvell after his first two seasons. Their attendance last year was still down 15K from 2014, which was the first season after their most recent national championship. They better win Saturday against LSU, because their hopes on and off the field could fall apart real fast if they don't.

Edited by Voice of the Quakers
  • Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

there's certainly enough chatter out there that those two + B1G likes them. 

not sure what you're missing. 

Perhaps I am missing something, but it feels to me that the chatter is from FSU rather than B1G. B1G has already expanded multiple times and it has never included FSU.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

so does this help the chances of Stanford wrestling having a long-term wrestling program moving forward? I hope so but not sure. Stanford / UNC Koll fueled rivalry be a nice wrinkle. And very happy to add more depth to ACC wrestling. 

Stanford should hire Ramos and then it would be a real good rivalry

On 9/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, 11986 said:

so does this help the chances of Stanford wrestling having a long-term wrestling program moving forward? I hope so but not sure. Stanford / UNC Koll fueled rivalry be a nice wrinkle. And very happy to add more depth to ACC wrestling. 

On 9/1/2023 at 9:50 AM, flyingcement said:

Can't imagine that this is a good thing for wrestling.  At least the ACC schools have large pools of wealthy donors, but as for the programs themselves?  As far as I know, Duke does not offer 9.9 scholarships.  And they're going to be flying the whole team back and forth to Stanford for duals every year?  Are travel expenses worth considering or is it just a drop in the bucket for their budget?  

Stanford is only going to get 30% of the media revenue compared to the current ACC schools, meaning they are going to take in 17 million per year less than they currently do in the PAC12.  Add on that the additional travel costs.....They've said they aren't planning to cut any sports, but this situation is not good.  And if UNC, Clemson, and Florida State (all of whom voted no on the ACC expansion) leave the ACC, which it makes sense for them to do, I can only imagine the media revenue going down even more.    

A coda to this conversation from the Knight Foundation (link below) - schools are spending more for their football coaches than they do on all costs for all athletes across all sports. You won't be surprised by one of the teams on this list:

According to the report, nine of the 51 public Power 5 schools (18%) hit the crossover point in fiscal year 2022. Of those nine schools, four were in the SEC (LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Ole Miss), three were in the Big 12 (Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas) and the Big Ten (Iowa) and ACC (Florida State) each had one.

I'm a Syracuse native. Jim Boeheim has an accurate take on the latest ACC expansion: 

“And the ironic thing is (schools) used to make $10 million and spend it all, now they’re making $50 million and they spend it all. So, it doesn’t matter how much money they make. They’re just going to spend it anyway. There’s no money left over.”

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38338910/many-schools-track-spend-more-coaches-player-needs

• Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com