• Playwire Ad Area

Koll off to UNC

MPhillips

1 hour ago, drwemitchellca said:

5 hours ago, 1032004 said: Did Deakin’s Twitter bio used to say he was a coach at Stanford? It does not currently…I’m guessing he’s going to UNC His Insta says he's a coach at Stanford? Didn't he move to Stanford because his girlfriend is a student there?

I dunno, but maybe he's free to move to Chapel Hill because his girlfriend dumped him?

D3

1 hour ago, drwemitchellca said:

5 hours ago, 1032004 said: Did Deakin’s Twitter bio used to say he was a coach at Stanford? It does not currently…I’m guessing he’s going to UNC His Insta says he's a coach at Stanford? Didn't he move to Stanford because his girlfriend is a student there?

I have no clue about his girlfriend.  I mostly just thought it was odd his twitter bio simply said “Northwestern Alumni” or something.  And he has tweeted/x’ed (is that what it’s called?) recently.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I have no clue about his girlfriend.  I mostly just thought it was odd his twitter bio simply said “Northwestern Alumni” or something.  And he has tweeted/x’ed (is that what it’s called?) recently.

From an article from the NY times:

What do we call tweets?

Tweets are now posts. In the same app update that wiped out the bird logo, the company swapped its classic blue “tweet” button for one that says “post.”

Some users have proposed other names for posts. One suggestion has been “xeets” (pronounced zeets), an X-themed play on tweets. Others suggested “xcerpts.” None of these terms seem to have caught on in a big way, at least so far.

Post, Xeets, or xcerpts... have at it, folks.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Unless UNC gives Koll support to buy the shit out of talent (aka PSU-Iowa), this move is just the next chapter in Koll’s late-life-crisis. He’s made a big mistake leaving all that building-blocks work behind in Cornell. UNC will never be a top 3 program. Top 12 at best. This is understood to anyone around wrestling all this time. 

41 minutes ago, scribers said:

Unless UNC gives Koll support to buy the shit out of talent (aka PSU-Iowa), this move is just the next chapter in Koll’s late-life-crisis. He’s made a big mistake leaving all that building-blocks work behind in Cornell. UNC will never be a top 3 program. Top 12 at best. This is understood to anyone around wrestling all this time. 

Well, they were top 12 last year.  Can they improve under a proven CEO coach?

And Koll retired from Cornell.  I'm pretty sure he is collecting his Cornell pension while also getting a UNC salary.  Sounds pretty smart to me.

(They also have some wrestling alums who have been highly successful in their post-wrestling life.  I bet they can work out a couple NIL deals.  He doesn't need to outspend PSU and Iowa to take 3rd)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

52 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Ya think?  They lost to Ithaca College the first year that Koll was there.

True, but a little misleading.  Ithaca College won D3 NCAAs either that year or within a year of that, so they were really good for a D3 team.  

Cornell probably had a pretty similar stature in wrestling when Koll took over to that of present day UNC.  Koll took over a Cornell team that was 10th at NCAAs and had a 3 AAs the year before.  Koll takes over a UNC team that finished 12th with 3AAs the year prior.

10 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, they were top 12 last year.  Can they improve under a proven CEO coach?

And Koll retired from Cornell.  I'm pretty sure he is collecting his Cornell pension while also getting a UNC salary.  Sounds pretty smart to me.

(They also have some wrestling alums who have been highly successful in their post-wrestling life.  I bet they can work out a couple NIL deals.  He doesn't need to outspend PSU and Iowa to take 3rd)

I wish Carl would retire and take a job with a booster’s firm somewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 9:22 AM, pokemonster said:

It looks like most of the highly sought-after recruits do not participate in meaningful degrees and instead get something along the lines of Tourism Management, Sports Management, Parks and Rec, Psych. etc. Do those degrees really matter if it says "UNC" or "Stanford" after it? Genuine question, btw. 

Edit to add: Just did some creeping on Penn State's team, almost all of them are enrolled in "RPTM" or Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management. 

I just noticed every single Freshman and Sophomore on Stanford’s roster is listed as undeclared.  Is that normal there?

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I just noticed every single Freshman and Sophomore on Stanford’s roster is listed as undeclared.  Is that normal there?

It's normal. All students enter undeclared. Depending on the department, you apply into your major and declare sometime during your second and fourth semester. A number of big universities have a similar process. You come in with an intended major, but have to meet certain pre-reqs before you can apply to a major, esp in competitive fields.

On 9/14/2023 at 7:14 AM, BigRedFan said:

IIRC, nobody followed Koll from Cornell to Stanford.  

Daniel Cardenas, Jack Darrah and Luke Duthie were Cornell commits who switched to Stanford when Koll took the job. 

On 9/14/2023 at 8:17 PM, BigRedFan said:

ILR is Industrial & Labor Relations.  AKA "Hotel School".

Good lord, man, ILR is ILR. The hotel school at Cornell is "the School of Hotel Administration." Different programs entirely. ILR is one of the statutory schools (Ag and Human Ecology are the others); Hotel is one of the purely private colleges (Engineering, Arts & Sciences and Architecture, Art & Planning are the others.

On 9/21/2023 at 5:39 AM, 1032004 said:

Why will it be more challenging at UNC than Cornell or Stanford?  It’s a good academic school but easier to get into than those 2, with a great campus in a cool city with warm weather

Man, UNC was an elite academic school but the state of North Carolina has been trying their hardest to defund and ruin it. Depressing.

• Fire 1

46 minutes ago, ugarles said:

Daniel Cardenas, Jack Darrah and Luke Duthie were Cornell commits who switched to Stanford when Koll took the job. 

Good lord, man, ILR is ILR. The hotel school at Cornell is "the School of Hotel Administration." Different programs entirely. ILR is one of the statutory schools (Ag and Human Ecology are the others); Hotel is one of the purely private colleges (Engineering, Arts & Sciences and Architecture, Art & Planning are the others.

Man, UNC was an elite academic school but the state of North Carolina has been trying their hardest to defund and ruin it. Depressing.

Why does Cornell have so many weird schools/majors? What's up with that. 

35 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Why does Cornell have so many weird schools/majors? What's up with that. 

it's a function of how and when they first got funding i guess?  it's where i went so it doesn't seem weird to me. you can take classes in the other colleges so the structure doesn't matter most of the time.

In ILR (which is an admittedly weird, narrow, one-major program) I had to take a lot of credits within the school for to fulfill my (the?) major. The Public Policy school is too new for me to know anything about it but it appears to be a standalone program in the same model as ILR. 

Law, Business, Medicine/Medical Sciences and Vet are all grad programs (as is Graduate, obviously). I do not know enough about Tech, though I know the Tech campus is a joint program with Technion-Haifa and is in NYC (the Med programs are also in NYC).

The CIS program is less a school than an interdisciplinary umbrella that covers a lot of separate areas housed in various schools, much like the undergraduate business program (as distinct from the graduate business school).

The image below is how Wikipedia breaks out the programs. Nobody has even bothered to create a page for the new public policy school which ... lol. I've highlighted the 7 longstanding undergrad programs. Wrestling not included.

image.png.c730ceb43e362d30227f928ef2b65a15.png

Edited by ugarles

34 minutes ago, ugarles said:

it's a function of how and when they first got funding i guess?  it's where i went so it doesn't seem weird to me. you can take classes in the other colleges so the structure doesn't matter most of the time.

In ILR (which is an admittedly weird, narrow, one-major program) I had to take a lot of credits within the school for to fulfill my (the?) major. The Public Policy school is too new for me to know anything about it but it appears to be a standalone program in the same model as ILR. 

Law, Business, Medicine/Medical Sciences and Vet are all grad programs (as is Graduate, obviously). I do not know enough about Tech, though I know the Tech campus is a joint program with Technion-Haifa and is in NYC (the Med programs are also in NYC).

The CIS program is less a school than an interdisciplinary umbrella that covers a lot of separate areas housed in various schools, much like the undergraduate business program (as distinct from the graduate business school).

The image below is how Wikipedia breaks out the programs. Nobody has even bothered to create a page for the new public policy school which ... lol. I've highlighted the 7 longstanding undergrad programs. Wrestling not included.

image.png.c730ceb43e362d30227f928ef2b65a15.png

It's just odd that they never consolidated the undergrad programs.  I could see having an ecology major, but why an entire ecology school? Industrial and labor relations is an entire school?  Hotel Administration as an entire school vs maybe a course or two as part of a business school?  It's all very strange.  

I gather that the agriculture & life sciences school is publicly owned, correct?   That would explain the more lenient admissions standards that I gather exist for it.   But once one's enrolled there, approximately how many credits in other undergrad. divisions may one take?    Or is one pretty much restricted to agriculture & life science coursework, save maybe for a language requirement from arts & sciences?  

16 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

It's just odd that they never consolidated the undergrad programs.  I could see having an ecology major, but why an entire ecology school? Industrial and labor relations is an entire school?  Hotel Administration as an entire school vs maybe a course or two as part of a business school?  It's all very strange.  

Human Ecology isn't a major in ecology, it's a school housing a lot of different majors. ILR was funded by a state grant in the 1940s, probably because of labor strife and a desire to science their way out of it. It had a pretty lefty history but to my dismay it wasn't all that evident among the students by the time I got there. The Hotel School survives as what it is because the hotel and restaurant industry LOVES it. It's a specialized undergraduate business degree and the only similar program i know of is at UNLV. Also it is (or was) by far the easiest school to get into. 

Anyway, some things just get to where they are because history is what it is. Forking paths that you can't backtrack on.

4 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I gather that the agriculture & life sciences school is publicly owned, correct?   That would explain the more lenient admissions standards that I gather exist for it.   But once one's enrolled there, approximately how many credits in other undergrad. divisions may one take?    Or is one pretty much restricted to agriculture & life science coursework, save maybe for a language requirement from arts & sciences?  

it's a little more complicated than publicly owned. they get some state funding but the managment/ownership is less direct than the SUNY campuses. the difficulty of admissions varies. The hardest schools to get into have always been Engineering and A&S as far as I know, but Hotel is also private and definitely the easiest. AAP, ILR, HumEc and Ag have always seemed pretty close but I'm sure someone else has more current statistics.

• Fire 1

Thanks.  I didn't know that various programs receive state funding.   That doesn't preclude Ivy League membership?   Do any other Ivy League schools receive it?   

My take is that nearly ALL private universities receive tax dollars, while also being tax exempt.   So the Ivy League does well not to nit-pick and exclude Cornell (of Ithaca, not Iowa) on those grounds.   

1 hour ago, ugarles said:

Human Ecology isn't a major in ecology, it's a school housing a lot of different majors. ILR was funded by a state grant in the 1940s, probably because of labor strife and a desire to science their way out of it. It had a pretty lefty history but to my dismay it wasn't all that evident among the students by the time I got there. The Hotel School survives as what it is because the hotel and restaurant industry LOVES it. It's a specialized undergraduate business degree and the only similar program i know of is at UNLV. Also it is (or was) by far the easiest school to get into. 

Anyway, some things just get to where they are because history is what it is. Forking paths that you can't backtrack on.

But why would they need multiple majors housed in an entire school that focuses on human ecology? Are people really getting undergrad degrees at Cornell majoring in hotels? Most Ivies don't even have an undergrad business degree because it's deemed to be not academic enough, let alone an entire undergrad program specifically focused on hotel management.  It's very unique.  

7 hours ago, ugarles said:

Ugh, I knew that ILR is ILR, and Hotel is Hotel.  Stupid error.

Yeah, I know a bunch of Cornell commits switched to Stanford.  I don't see them switching from Stanford to UNC.

3 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

But why would they need multiple majors housed in an entire school that focuses on human ecology? Are people really getting undergrad degrees at Cornell majoring in hotels? Most Ivies don't even have an undergrad business degree because it's deemed to be not academic enough, let alone an entire undergrad program specifically focused on hotel management.  It's very unique.  

Hotel Administration as a major isn’t weird IMO, but as an entire “school” kinda is.  It is a bit interesting for an Ivy to have it though, as pay in the hotel industry is notoriously crappy.

5 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

A girl I dated at Cornell was in the Ag school and was taking 22-23 credits at a time in order to transfer to the Engineering school (chem E, IIRC).  That was like 2-3 courses per semester in Engineering.