• Playwire Ad Area

Koll off to UNC

MPhillips

2 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

kind of reminds me of how VaTech went from Brands (for 1 year) to Dresser. 

Wow... what an inspirational example that is.   I've followed Coach Dresser since the 1980s, before he left the state of Iowa.   Decades later, my head h.s. coach even attended a coaches' clinic at Va. Tech.  and told me afterwards that the guy's technique is very good.   I hope Coach Dresser writes a book after retirement (or even before it) so we can learn from it.   I mean he took Christiansburg H.S. wrestling (near Va. Tech.) from being a zero to a hero.  This after leaving Grundy H.S. behind.   They were good before he arrived but great after he got going coaching there.   Kevin Dresser did quite a bit for wrestling in the state of Virginia.   I'm hopeful that Iowa State will continue improving because I think the Cy-Hawk dual is one of our sport's finest crown jewels, at least when it's suspenseful and down to the wire, outcome-wise.     

So the time of one month has surely passed by now.  Pretty cool and interesting that there were zero transfer requests made as a result of a major coaching change.  I guess having academic standards and network of Stanford puts you in a spot where once kids get in, they will be unlikely to leave.  Real Woods and Joey McKenna are a couple examples of guys who did though.

7 hours ago, flyingcement said:

So the time of one month has surely passed by now.  Pretty cool and interesting that there were zero transfer requests made as a result of a major coaching change.  I guess having academic standards and network of Stanford puts you in a spot where once kids get in, they will be unlikely to leave.  Real Woods and Joey McKenna are a couple examples of guys who did though.

Who would have predicted this outcome?  Oh, right...

Why would anyone smart enough to get into Princeton or Stanford wish to transfer? 

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

How long did you stretch that shoulder before patting yourself on the back? If you're not careful, this is how injuries happen.

I was irked by all those who were certain that Koll leaving Cornell and then Stanford would result in mass exoduses of wrestlers at each school. 

But thanks for the warning.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

I was irked by all those who were certain that Koll leaving Cornell and then Stanford would result in mass exoduses of wrestlers at each school. 

Well, tough to transfer into Stanford from Cornell (or anywhere), though some guys did flip commitments.  Not exactly a Nostradamus level prediction.

Also, transferring from Stanford to UNC isn't something you would expect an academically minded student to do, despite UNC being known as a very good school.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, tough to transfer into Stanford from Cornell (or anywhere), though some guys did flip commitments.  Not exactly a Nostradamus level prediction.

Also, transferring from Stanford to UNC isn't something you would expect an academically minded student to do, despite UNC being known as a very good school.

Has anyone flipped commitments from Stanford to UNC?  Can’t remember 

Pretty sure Woods got his degree from Stanford before leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

UNC, while a step below Stanford, is considered a "public Ivy" and has a very strong pedigree

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Real Woods and Joey McKenna are a couple examples of guys who did though.

Woods finished his Stanford degree in three years with an academic overload because they cut the program. Anyone from those Stanford classes should be given a very big, very fair asterisk given the circumstances surrounding the program.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

14 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

UNC, while a step below Stanford, is considered a "public Ivy" and has a very strong pedigree

Woods finished his Stanford degree in three years with an academic overload because they cut the program. Anyone from those Stanford classes should be given a very big, very fair asterisk given the circumstances surrounding the program.

Yes, Woods finished his degree and McKenna did not need to.  McKenna has very strong connections that were going to likely hire him to a fantastic job.  I also think tOSU had a major that was more specific to his chosen field.

36 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Can we pause a moment to acknowledge how impressive an achievement this is? I would say this is more impressive than his wrestling achievements. And that is not meant to diminish his wrestling achievements in any way.

• Fire 4

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Can we pause a moment to acknowledge how impressive an achievement this is? I would say this is more impressive than his wrestling achievements. And that is not meant to diminish his wrestling achievements in any way.

Didn't Shane Griffith do the same thing? I may be wrong, but I thought I had heard that.

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

1 minute ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

Didn't Shane Griffith do the same thing? I may be wrong, but I thought I had heard that.

What major?

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Koll has always been very clear on to which coaches wrestlers attached themselves. He has long stated that so-and-so "is a Damian Hahn guy" or so-and-so "is a Mike Grey guy." To his credit, he knows why the student-wrestlers are there.

Edited by Tom formerly Tofurky

2 minutes ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:
  • Major

Science, Technology & Society

No idea what courses you take for that major or job areas it preps for but these days kids can come in with two semesters worth of AP credit etc which can count toward requirements and electives in the softer majors.  Those won't do much for you in say engineering except maybe skip over first level math, algebra, calc.  

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

No idea what courses you take for that major or job areas it preps for but these days kids can come in with two semesters worth of AP credit etc which can count toward requirements and electives in the softer majors.  Those won't do much for you in say engineering except maybe skip over first level math, algebra, calc.  

My guess is that the academic advisors at SU spoke with him about his long-tearm intentions and gave him the pathway that suited his goals. Add to that alumni base of Stanford and he is going to be just fine, regardless of his chosen major.

That said, his major doesn't appear to be a "softer major" - https://sts.stanford.edu/.

1 hour ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

Koll was living on campus in the house that the former sailing coach had lived in while employed with the university.

Gotcha, maybe he was only saying he was not eligible for purchase incentives which were only for faculty

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This is exactly why I've brought it up quite a few times recently. It is a strong achievement that deserves to be highlighted.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I don't think it's particularly prudent to skip such courses and land in advanced math & engineering coursework, instead, during one's first semester at a school like Stanford.   I tend to think that it would be like going into a wrestling match without prior days' practices and pre match warm-ups.   But if one really knows one's material, and studied it recently enough, I guess it can work.  

1 hour ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I don't think it's particularly prudent to skip such courses and land in advanced math & engineering coursework, instead, during one's first semester at a school like Stanford.   I tend to think that it would be like going into a wrestling match without prior days' practices and pre match warm-ups.   But if one really knows one's material, and studied it recently enough, I guess it can work.  

Engineering is engineering just like calc is calc, its all the same math no matter where you take it.  If you already know it no reason to repeat but yes a lot students need those first classes, I know some that didn't. 

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

Engineering is engineering just like calc is calc, its all the same math no matter where you take it.  If you already know it no reason to repeat but yes a lot students need those first classes, I know some that didn't. 

We know wrestling moves that we nevertheless keep drilling year-after-year.   Math seems analogous.   Skipping out on first year coursework in college because one has AP coursework from elsewhere might not be as wise as drilling year after year before advancing.   Some can do it though, as you've pointed out.