• Playwire Ad Area

Koll off to UNC

MPhillips

5 hours ago, scribers said:

Koll should have never left Cornell. Watching him waffle now is cringy 

It depends on what his goals are with the move. He talks about the move as a quality-of-life decision (larger house, connecting with fellow alumni, and family familiar with the area) rather than the situation that will allow him to build the best program possible.  Yes, he will still be nationally competitive and win team trophies at UNC, but it will be more challenging than at either Cornell or Stanford. Based on everything that has happened, it seems like leaving Cornell was more about souring with the place and needing to leave and go somewhere else than really being 100% sold on Stanford. 

Koll actually retired from Cornell. I would imagine he is collecting his Cornell pension, in addition to his UNC salary. 

Additionally, he is at a great academic school with one of the top brands in college sports. He won’t have to cut as many corners or deal with the same type of obstacles that he did at Cornell and Stanford. He is going yo do just fine. He probably won’t win nationals, but he can probably improve on what is already there and win a trophy if he stays around long enough. 

• Fire 2

On 9/16/2023 at 6:47 PM, billyhoyle said:

It depends on what his goals are with the move. He talks about the move as a quality-of-life decision (larger house, connecting with fellow alumni, and family familiar with the area) rather than the situation that will allow him to build the best program possible.  Yes, he will still be nationally competitive and win team trophies at UNC, but it will be more challenging than at either Cornell or Stanford. Based on everything that has happened, it seems like leaving Cornell was more about souring with the place and needing to leave and go somewhere else than really being 100% sold on Stanford. 

Why will it be more challenging at UNC than Cornell or Stanford?  It’s a good academic school but easier to get into than those 2, with a great campus in a cool city with warm weather

• Fire 1

From a wrestling perspective on the outside looking in UNC seems to be the best of both worlds. Koll will have more flexibility in getting students enrolled at UNC as well as use the benefits of the location to draw east coast talent to Chapel Hill. As I see it Pop in Raleigh used the same strategies when he got to NC State and has had a lot of success. Very similar locations, might give the academic edge to UNC but regardless dont be surprised if the UNC v NC State rivalry is revamped sooner rather than later.

• Fire 2

52 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

From a wrestling perspective on the outside looking in UNC seems to be the best of both worlds. Koll will have more flexibility in getting students enrolled at UNC as well as use the benefits of the location to draw east coast talent to Chapel Hill. As I see it Pop in Raleigh used the same strategies when he got to NC State and has had a lot of success. Very similar locations, might give the academic edge to UNC but regardless dont be surprised if the UNC v NC State rivalry is revamped sooner rather than later.

For sure.  No reason UNC can't be just as good if not better than NC State, or Cornell for that matter.  I mean heck are there any other sports where Cornell is consistently top 10 in the country?   They were mostly good because of Koll (I know he mentioned in his Flo interview that in his first year they lost to Ithaca college), and Grey is continuing it.   

• Fire 3

5 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Heck:  men's and women's ice hockey; men's lacrosse; men's and women's squash.

Last rankings I see for last season:

men's ice hockey: 19th (out of 64 teams)

women's ice hockey: 12th (out of 44 teams)

men's lacrosse: 10th

doesn't look like squash is actually an NCAA-sponsored sport

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Last rankings I see for last season:

men's ice hockey: 19th (out of 64 teams)

women's ice hockey: 12th (out of 44 teams)

men's lacrosse: 10th

doesn't look like squash is actually an NCAA-sponsored sport

You asked "are there any other sports where Cornell is consistently top 10 in the country".

I answered correctly:  these teams have been consistently in the top ten.

4 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

You win.  Cornell sucks at everything except wrestling.

Not saying they suck, but I'm guessing wrestling is by far their best sport.  A bit dated (2018), but here was an interesting article I found to confirm that suspicion, particularly this line:

"Cornell wrestling is perhaps the best individual team in the entire study"

https://www.thedp.com/article/2018/08/ivy-league-athletics-ten-year-update-brown-columbia-cornell-dartmouth-harvard-penn-princeton-yale-overall-rankings

30 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

You asked "are there any other sports where Cornell is consistently top 10 in the country".

I answered correctly:  these teams have been consistently in the top ten.

Well in the most recent season, two of them did not...

And the one that did seemingly hasn't for 4 of the past 10 years.

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well in the most recent season, two of them did not...

And the one that did seemingly hasn't for 4 of the past 10 years.

FFS, if you had said "always in the top ten", you'd be correct.  Feel free to argue with yourself (or claim victory) over the meaning of "consistently."

9 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

FFS, if you had said "always in the top ten", you'd be correct.  Feel free to argue with yourself (or claim victory) over the meaning of "consistently."

6 out of 10 isn’t consistent.

Didn’t care enough to look up the prior years for the other ones

On 9/21/2023 at 11:33 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

Not surprised to see Cornell has locked down all wealthy white people sports 

Ok - Pls list the sports you expect the Ivy League schools to be top 10 nationally.  And then let us know which of these do NOT align with your description above.  

Remember - no athletic scholarships.  

Edited by Dark Energy

On 8/31/2023 at 7:22 PM, flyingcement said:

if I had to guess

pissed off by the way they dealt with COVID.  from what we heard, they decided to enforce contact tracing in a stricter way than other Ivys even did among students, faculty, and staff.  maybe prior to that he was starting to wonder about a new challenge which would be reasonable.  add to that, the fact that he must have known his reputation would help momentarily stabilize a program that had already been announced as gone.  I can see how it would make some sense and all the sudden its Silicon Valley culture shock 

Yes Ithaca NY where Covid restrictions are taken very seriously (thought they might turn it into the second coming Salem Witch Trials for a second) and heroine injection sites are as easy as ordering Pie. Worked in Ithaca for years and even the democratic party thinks Ithaca is to democratic. Just look at what happend when Starbucks came to town. Here's look at you Ithaca and all it's bat shi$ crazy citizen just wanted to let you know all those years I had to say I love you because my work required me to I was faking it just like all your wife's do.

Edited by Sublime607

2 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Yes Ithaca NY where Covid restrictions are taken very seriously (thought they might turn it into the second coming Salem Witch Trials for a second) and heroine injection sites are as easy as ordering Pie. Worked in Ithaca for years and even the democratic party thinks Ithaca is to democratic. Just look at what happend when Starbucks came to town. Here's look at you Ithaca and all it's bat shi$ crazy citizen just wanted to let you know all those years I had to say I love you because my work required me to I was faking it just like all your wife's do.

A little too early to be drinking, isn't it?

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1