• Playwire Ad Area

Koll off to UNC

MPhillips

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Good list.  Nickerson is one I hadn't thought of but kinda makes sense.   Speaking of UVa, do you think Garland would consider it?   Although I guess he is a UVa alum...

I don’t think Garland leaves he’s A Virginia guy , I don’t know if Nickerson would leave for a place it’ll be harder to recruit at , plus he’s just finally building northern Colorado up 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

List of possible Stanford successor(and my reasoning):

Gavin(Pitt), HC experience, Pitt is a fairly academic-heavy school. Similar recruiting pool. 

Princeton staff(some or all), similar recruiting pool and recent team success.

Storniolo(NW), HC and recruiting experience, similar school academic profile and recruiting pool

Nickerson(UNC-West), HC experience and recent success, Ivy League pedigree

Derek Moore(Cal-Bap), National Champ from Cali, hard to deny he might have some heft. 

Matt Gentry(UofC), National Champ and Alumnus, Recently got back into coaching at U of Chicago. Didn't know the HC is named after him, that could be awkward. But Penn did it, so there is precedent. 

Engel(OSU-West), Associate HC, previous staff member, wasn't sullied by the mass program drop SNAFU and the dirty politics that ensued(but if I were him it'd be hard to go back, knowing how the staff was treated)

Paulson(UVA) x2: Associate HC and Assistant, could make for an interesting combo in Palo Alto. 

Santoro(Lehigh): We saw Koll make the move, greater than 0 chance, I feel. 

Dillon(Lehigh): Finally gets a chance to steer the ship. Lehigh is not at the level of Stanford academics or standards, but not too too far. Team hasn't had a ton of success lately, might be a stretch.  

Who did I miss? 

maybe Jon Sioredas from Cal Poly?

• Fire 1

Surprising that he would leave Stanford for UNC as it seems like things at Stanford were moving in the right direction.  I wonder if it was  compensation driven or lifestyle driven?  Did UNC commit to a longer guaranteed tenure? It was a long time ago that he was at UNC so would not think he has a lot of close family and friends there.  

Just now, Elevator said:

Surprising that he would leave Stanford for UNC as it seems like things at Stanford were moving in the right direction.  I wonder if it was  compensation driven or lifestyle driven?  Did UNC commit to a longer guaranteed tenure? It was a long time ago that he was at UNC so would not think he has a lot of close family and friends there.  

It shouldn't be a surprise.  He is an alum.

The three schools that should have never been a surprise at his being hired for:
- North Carolina, He is a national champ alum from here
- Cornell, He was there straight out of college as an assistant and was the HC after seven years there
- Penn State, His dad is a legendary coach from there

Obviously him going BACK to Cornell would be a shocker due to drama.

Obviously him going to Penn State would be a shocker right now.  If Cael were to depart for... say UVU... then Koll being #1 target there would be a no-brainer.  Or at least on the short list of #1 targets.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Gavin(Pitt), HC experience, Pitt is a fairly academic-heavy school. Similar recruiting pool. 

Storniolo(NW), HC and recruiting experience, similar school academic profile and recruiting pool

Derek Moore(Cal-Bap), National Champ from Cali, hard to deny he might have some heft. 

Matt Gentry(UofC), National Champ and Alumnus, Recently got back into coaching at U of Chicago. Didn't know the HC is named after him, that could be awkward. But Penn did it, so there is precedent. 

Engel(OSU-West), Associate HC, previous staff member, wasn't sullied by the mass program drop SNAFU and the dirty politics that ensued(but if I were him it'd be hard to go back, knowing how the staff was treated)

Paulson(UVA) x2: Associate HC and Assistant, could make for an interesting combo in Palo Alto. 

Dillon(Lehigh): Finally gets a chance to steer the ship. Lehigh is not at the level of Stanford academics or standards, but not too too far. Team hasn't had a ton of success lately, might be a stretch.  

Who did I miss? 

I might try to bribe Casey Cunningham to bring some PSU magic to Palo Alto?   Awkward because his son is coming to PSU.  

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t know if Nickerson would leave for a place it’ll be harder to recruit at , plus he’s just finally building northern Colorado up 

I also don't think he could get Alirez into Stanford. I'm not saying it to be mean but Alirez said after winning the title that he's "not really a school guy" (probably not his exact words but what i remember). 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ugarles said:

I also don't think he could get Alirez into Stanford. I'm not saying it to be mean but Alirez said after winning the title that he's "not really a school guy" (probably not his exact words but what i remember). 

I don't see why that would be a determining factor, this is Alirez's last year

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Not if he takes his Olympic year. But he's also not transferring to Stanford.

I guess I was more just saying he only has 1 year left in general, I don't see why that would make much difference, he of course can already say he coached a national champ.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It shouldn't be a surprise.  He is an alum.

The three schools that should have never been a surprise at his being hired for:
- North Carolina, He is a national champ alum from here
- Cornell, He was there straight out of college as an assistant and was the HC after seven years there
- Penn State, His dad is a legendary coach from there

Obviously him going BACK to Cornell would be a shocker due to drama.

Obviously him going to Penn State would be a shocker right now.  If Cael were to depart for... say UVU... then Koll being #1 target there would be a no-brainer.  Or at least on the short list of #1 targets.

I’ll also throw in that he said in his intro press conference that before any of this happened, he and his wife were looking for a home in North Carolina once he retired. He basically said Palo Alto is too expensive to live after retirement unless you’re a tech employee. 

It seems like NC is a popular place to wind down your career and retire (Mack Brown is doing the exact same thing with the football program). Probably because you have beaches, mountains, and all 4 seasons of weather in one state (not always hot and not always cold). 

Edited by goheels1812
  • Fire 3

7 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Who did I miss? 

As much as I hate to see him consider other jobs, VT’s Frayer should be a great candidate. Current associate coach with notable FS development in athletes plus being a former Olympic wrestler himself. 

The VT guys love Frayer. He seems to be a better man, husband and father than a coach and that’s saying something 

It took him a good long while to get his system working in Ithaca: convince kids from fairly wealthy families to take a grey year to train hard at a school that doesn't, otherwise, red shirt. He got that working pretty well and had a good amount of success. Probably, looking to do it at a place where kids wouldn't mind spending a year at Menlo Community College before being admitted to Stanford as a transfer with 5 years to train. Might be easier and have a larger, more talented pool, to pull from at UNC. 

7 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Who did I miss? 

Hate to lose Nickerson from B12 (its gonna happen at some point) but I think he'd be a great choice.  Will they provide the resources to succeed?

12 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

It took him a good long while to get his system working in Ithaca: convince kids from fairly wealthy families to take a grey year to train hard at a school that doesn't, otherwise, red shirt. He got that working pretty well and had a good amount of success. Probably, looking to do it at a place where kids wouldn't mind spending a year at Menlo Community College before being admitted to Stanford as a transfer with 5 years to train. Might be easier and have a larger, more talented pool, to pull from at UNC. 

Again, with my bias established, I don't think it will take it near as long since he is a known name. He isnt trying to convince people he will be able to be sussessful he has proven it

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Leg rider said:

Again, with my bias established, I don't think it will take it near as long since he is a known name. He isnt trying to convince people he will be able to be sussessful he has proven it

My hopes are pretty high too. It took him 2 years to put together the 2nd highest rated recruiting class in the country at Stanford. He knows how to get kids to come (or as he says he recruits the parents and the kids will follow).

• Fire 1