• Playwire Ad Area

NCAA Dual Meet Tournament / Calendar Changes

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11210487-how-close-is-d1-wrestling-to-adding-a-national-dual-championship

Fascinated by the potential changes to the NCAA wrestling calendar Andy Hamilton suggests are possible in this article regarding a dual meet tournament. 

There's been a lot of talk about turning wrestling into a single semester sport to move the individual tournament out of the way of March Madness. But, I think this split schedule could better align the collegiate schedule with the USA Wrestling schedule, and, at first thought, I think I do prefer the tournament phase in the fall semester and the dual meet phase in the spring semester.

One downside is the death of the holiday tournaments, but many of them (looking at you, Midlands) are a shell of their former selves, and I don't think the wrestlers and the coaching staffs won't mind recharging over the holidays.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

2 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11210487-how-close-is-d1-wrestling-to-adding-a-national-dual-championship

Fascinated by the potential changes to the NCAA wrestling calendar Andy Hamilton suggests are possible in this article regarding a dual meet tournament. 

There's been a lot of talk about turning wrestling into a single semester sport to move the individual tournament out of the way of March Madness. But, I think this split schedule could better align the collegiate schedule with the USA Wrestling schedule, and, at first thought, I think I do prefer the tournament phase in the fall semester and the dual meet phase in the spring semester.

One downside is the death of the holiday tournaments, but many of them (looking at you, Midlands) are a shell of their former selves, and I don't think the wrestlers and the coaching staffs won't mind recharging over the holidays.

Has anyone run this by Carl?  🤨

• Fire 1

In March, the six-session attendance total dipped to 95,295, the lowest figure for the tournament in nine years, with the exception of 2021 when attendance was capped due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Maybe don't have the finals in a location that is inconvenient to get to?  A layover plus a 1 1/2 hour drive from Oklahoma City, and limited activities outside the arena doesn't get one too excited 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted