• Playwire Ad Area

Coleman Scott moving back to Ok St = John Smith retirement imminent?

Jimmy Cinnabon

On 9/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, lightweight said:

That looks like a truck built for an upper weight.  Does it come with an entry stepladder for 125 pounders?  

Lol this is pretty good

On 9/6/2023 at 7:36 PM, AgaveMaria said:

Prospective replacement or not John really needs to look at retirement seriously.

He has looked pissed at his wrestlers the past few years. Openly grumping like an old man and "Get the hell of my Lawn" looks as they were on the mat. It is as if he has lost patience and touch with the reality that most of his wrestlers are not him in his prime.

You're not wrong but you are cherry-picking examples and ignoring the rest. There has been the whole range of emotions from Smith the last few years, on the mat and for the media, from disappointed to annoyed to hopeful to ecstatic. It's been the hardest two years in program history, with several athletes that did well in practice but come matchtime barely made offensive moves and struggled with fundamentals. So it's entirely possible he's annoyed at his staff for their room coaching and/or matside coaching. This season should be different with the new lineup and new coaches in the room. Personally I miss having Smith as a main matside coach.

Edited by alex1fly

22 hours ago, Gus said:

That’s just reporting on the Instagram post which simply says he “got hooked up” and could mean any number of things, it doesn’t even appear he heard from Daton directly for this blurb.

He just posted this a couple weeks ago, 11 months after the previous one, so at best it could be the free one year lease.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwYFyEDO3j4/

• 2 months later...

Going back to Scott's compensation at OSU it appears he has taken a pay cut.  I think I've found him in the state of OK payroll data and it appears he is being paid $160k/year.

The second line in this screenshot I believe to be him (C L Scott) which indicates he was paid $6666.67 Sept 29.  Assuming he gets that amount twice per month that is $160k/year and slightly more than Esposito was receiving (see second screenshot with Esposito's pay for the same period last year), but below his $180k base at UNC.

ColemanScott.png

ZackEsposito.png

21 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Going back to Scott's compensation at OSU it appears he has taken a pay cut.  I think I've found him in the state of OK payroll data and it appears he is being paid $160k/year.

The second line in this screenshot I believe to be him (C L Scott) which indicates he was paid $6666.67 Sept 29.  Assuming he gets that amount twice per month that is $160k/year and slightly more than Esposito was receiving (see second screenshot with Esposito's pay for the same period last year), but below his $180k base at UNC.

ColemanScott.png

ZackEsposito.png

You reported Scott's salary (at UNC)  as 170k per year in a different thread. 

What will not be listed in the salary will be perks that coaches will get including the benefits package for the family. 

Chapel Hill is much higher than Stillwater in cost of living - especially in housing.  Taxes are lower as well in Ok. 

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

49 minutes ago, ionel said:

this would be?

Medical Insurance covering the whole family versus insurance just for the employee is one. Yes it can vary. Not sure if it is a difference in comparison to the two schools or not, be definitely can be a consideration when comparing the whole salary package. 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Medical Insurance covering the whole family versus insurance just for the employee is one. Yes it can vary. Not sure if it is a difference in comparison to the two schools or not, be definitely can be a consideration when comparing the whole salary package. 

Probably similar both institutions.  Generally kids or spouse would be an add on to policy costing something extra per month.  If both spouses working one would look at both policies to see which has the better options vs price for adding on kids.  Thus family might not even be on his policy.

It seems like a fairly simple equation to me.

"Hey Coleman would you like to continue your career at your storied alma mater, closer to home, and for comparable pay?"

For many people the answer is yes of course. Never mind the implications of John Smith retiring eventually, keeping OK State competitive and relevant, etc. Yes he apparently took pay cut but $160k/year is still three-four times the median income in Stillwater, OK.

Edited by alex1fly

14 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

"Hey Coleman would you like to continue your career at your storied alma mater, closer to home, and for comparable pay?"

For many people the answer is yes of course. Never mind the implications of John Smith retiring eventually, keeping OK State competitive and relevant, etc. Yes he apparently took pay cut but $160k/year is still three-four times the median income in Stillwater, OK.

Commonly referred to as the hometown discount.  Although Scott is from Western PA.

I wouldn't discount the significance that it was John Smith doing the asking.  I am sure if he phoned up every D1 head coach and offered them the opportunity to be his assistant/associate head over half would take it regardless of hometown or alma mater.

24 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Oklahoma is closer to PA than NC?

24 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I am sure if he phoned up every D1 head coach and offered them the opportunity to be his assistant/associate head over half would take it regardless of hometown or alma mater.

John was going to call Cael and then he remembered what he did to Bobbie D.  

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:13 AM, Idaho said:

You reported Scott's salary (at UNC)  as 170k per year in a different thread. 

I'm not sure about that.  In this thread I posted his actual contract that ran through 2021.  His base in that was $150k although he signed an addendum (also posted in this thread) cutting his base salary by 10% to $135k during COVID.  I could not find his most recently contract.  I think based upon various websites that had salary info his base was $170k in 2021-2022 and $180k in 2022-2023.  I can't be 100% sure on that since no signed contract is publicly available for those years.

What will not be listed in the salary will be perks that coaches will get including the benefits package for the family. 

I posted his actual contract.  Some of that was in there for years up to 2020-2021.  I suspect the head coach gets some benefits assistants/associates do not.  At UNC he had a transportation benefit.  The university was supposed to supply him with an automobile for personal use or a comparable annual stipend. He also had a bonus structure based on team/individual performance built in.  Austin O'Connor won him $20k with his first NCAA title.  Probably a similar amount with the second one.  I don't think it is typical for assistants to get bonuses based on stuff like that or the academic progress/GPA of student athletes like what was in Scott's UNC contract.

I suspect differences in insurance or retirement benefits don't really move the needle. If one has a dependent tuition benefit and the other does not that could make a difference. I think Scott has three kids and college is expensive, though I don't think any are real close to graduating high school yet.  Such a benefit would be more valuable at UNC in my opinion.

Chapel Hill is much higher than Stillwater in cost of living - especially in housing.  Taxes are lower as well in Ok. 

I looked this up and previously posted that the cost of living was 11.4% lower in Stillwater.  lm not 100% sure what went into that but tax difference should be included.  In any event the difference between state income tax between the two is not great.  I put $160k married 5 exemptions into a calculator for both and NC was about $300 more. The effective rate was 4% in OK and 4.19% in NC.  He would be in the highest bracket in either state which only differ by 0.24% (4.75% OK vs 4.99% NC).  Sales tax is higher in Stillwater, 9.31%, vs 7.5% in Chapel Hill.  Im not going to bother with property tax as that is most likely rolled into cost of housing.  All of this should really be in the cost of living number.

$180 in Chapel Hill is likely a wash with $160 in Stillwater taking into account cost of living.

15 hours ago, fishbane said:

I'm not sure about that.

Thread "What are the top 20 wrestling head coaches salaries" - You had a list and had him at 170 for 2022.  

$180 in Chapel Hill is likely a wash with $160 in Stillwater taking into account cost of living.

Agree - I am sure there are a lot of other factors that went into the decision. 

I'm not sure about that.  In this thread I posted his actual contract that ran through 2021.  His base in that was $150k although he signed an addendum (also posted in this thread) cutting his base salary by 10% to $135k during COVID.  I could not find his most recently contract.  I think based upon various websites that had salary info his base was $170k in 2021-2022 and $180k in 2022-2023.  I can't be 100% sure on that since no signed contract is publicly available for those years.

I posted his actual contract.  Some of that was in there for years up to 2020-2021.  I suspect the head coach gets some benefits assistants/associates do not.  At UNC he had a transportation benefit.  The university was supposed to supply him with an automobile for personal use or a comparable annual stipend. He also had a bonus structure based on team/individual performance built in.  Austin O'Connor won him $20k with his first NCAA title.  Probably a similar amount with the second one.  I don't think it is typical for assistants to get bonuses based on stuff like that or the academic progress/GPA of student athletes like what was in Scott's UNC contract.

I suspect differences in insurance or retirement benefits don't really move the needle. If one has a dependent tuition benefit and the other does not that could make a difference. I think Scott has three kids and college is expensive, though I don't think any are real close to graduating high school yet.  Such a benefit would be more valuable at UNC in my opinion.

I looked this up and previously posted that the cost of living was 11.4% lower in Stillwater.  lm not 100% sure what went into that but tax difference should be included.  In any event the difference between state income tax between the two is not great.  I put $160k married 5 exemptions into a calculator for both and NC was about $300 more. The effective rate was 4% in OK and 4.19% in NC.  He would be in the highest bracket in either state which only differ by 0.24% (4.75% OK vs 4.99% NC).  Sales tax is higher in Stillwater, 9.31%, vs 7.5% in Chapel Hill.  Im not going to bother with property tax as that is most likely rolled into cost of housing.  All of this should really be in the cost of living number.

Where is the 11.4% coming from?  

Taking a quick look, the median home sales price in Stillwater is $239K (Redfin) - $265K (Realtor.com), compared to $542K (Redfin) - $604K (Realtor.com) in Chapel Hill.