• Playwire Ad Area

Coleman Scott moving back to Ok St = John Smith retirement imminent?

Jimmy Cinnabon

26 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Not that it's a huge factor, but the cost of living between those two cities is pretty significant, especially in terms of housing. 

Cost of living in Stillwater is 11.4% lower than Chapel Hill, NC.  This would mean Scott would need to make $159,489 at OSU to match his $180k base salary.  This is slightly more than Esposito was making in 2023.  I think Espo's 2023 pay would have been about $155,000 and the open the books number was not his full pay because the year was not over.   However keep in mind that Scott's UNC contract also gave him use of a car (or equivalent stipend), significant bonuses tied to the teams performance on the mat and in the classroom, as well as the right to host his own camps at the University.

It is possible even likely that OSU is paying Scott more than Espo, but Espo was already one of the top paid assistants in college wrestling.  He was being paid significantly more than the top assistants at several big programs.  More than Snyder (Nebraska), Churella (Michigan), Todd (Missouri), St. John (ISU) and Jaggers (Ohio State).  I would think that PSU might be the only program paying their assistant(s) more than Espo was making.

14 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Cost of living in Stillwater is 11.4% lower than Chapel Hill, NC.  This would mean Scott would need to make $159,489 at OSU to match his $180k base salary.  This is slightly more than Esposito was making in 2023.  I think Espo's 2023 pay would have been about $155,000 and the open the books number was not his full pay because the year was not over.   However keep in mind that Scott's UNC contract also gave him use of a car (or equivalent stipend), significant bonuses tied to the teams performance on the mat and in the classroom, as well as the right to host his own camps at the University.

It is possible even likely that OSU is paying Scott more than Espo, but Espo was already one of the top paid assistants in college wrestling.  He was being paid significantly more than the top assistants at several big programs.  More than Snyder (Nebraska), Churella (Michigan), Todd (Missouri), St. John (ISU) and Jaggers (Ohio State).  I would think that PSU might be the only program paying their assistant(s) more than Espo was making.

Coleman Scott is returning to his Alma-mater with a chance to work side-by-side with the legendary coach that coached him to 4 AA finishes and a national championship while equipping him with the skills to take home world and Olympic medals. John Smith is not getting younger and eventually there will be an opening at Okie State... being in-house usually gives you a leg up. Unless, of course, the team stinks the whole time you are there. Since the compensation is comparable between places (UNC & Okie State), returning to Okie State makes sense. 

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I'm sure they can afford to pay him more.  If not maybe Hovland has a guest bedroom.  He just made $21M+ in back to back weekends, $25M/yr goes a long way in Stillwater.  💰 

42 minutes ago, ionel said:

I'm sure they can afford to pay him more.  If not maybe Hovland has a guest bedroom.  He just made $21M+ in back to back weekends, $25M/yr goes a long way in Stillwater.  💰 

Yeah and somehow I forgot about Terry Brands.  He is the highest paid assistant with a publicly available salary.  I think his base is $205k and he made about $227k last year.  It's possible OSU will give him Terry Brands money.  They both have head coach experience, both have an Olympic bronze.  If they do that its possible he will be paid more in absolute terms.  I'm sure they could.

My motivation for looking into this was mostly that I thought the numbers floating around that Espo was paid more in 2017 or whatever was misleading.  Scott was on his initial deal back then and I had a feeling he was getting paid more now.  Didn't expect to find Scott's actual contract.

Just listened to the Dynasty Defined podcast where Lee interviews Coleman a month or two ago. Great interview, on Spotify if anyone is interested. Coleman is well spoken and seems to embrace the administrative/fundraising/outreach aspects of running a program in addition to coaching kids to their individual strengths.  All good things for OSU.

Prospective replacement or not John really needs to look at retirement seriously.

He has looked pissed at his wrestlers the past few years. Openly grumping like an old man and "Get the hell of my Lawn" looks as they were on the mat. It is as if he has lost patience and touch with the reality that most of his wrestlers are not him in his prime.

Maybe it was a Ferrari reaction, I don't know. It was open and hard to watch as he almost seemed to give up on his kids on the mat during matches.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Aren't they not supposed to wear school logos in NIL stuff?  

You are probably right, but

1) Each state has a different set laws and regulations governing NIL, producing some inequities between various institutions

2) No one from the NCAA really seems to care about policing this type of stuff at the moment.

14 hours ago, Offthemat said:

image.thumb.png.d599c47eacc4935ace17d0158e9bd0ee.png

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Aren't they not supposed to wear school logos in NIL stuff?  Or is this not NIL-related?

Looks like someone just got a new truck, do we know its NIL?  Also if NIL, is the fact that the truck is black with orange trim a potential violation?  😯

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Looks like someone just got a new truck, do we know its NIL?  Also if NIL, is the fact that the truck is black with orange trim a potential violation?  😯

If it was free, wouldn’t it have to be?  But I guess even that isn’t really clear. “Hooked up” could still mean he paid for it.

I see he had a thing with Campbells that said “paid promo” or something, so I’m guessing he may have paid for the truck

43 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If it was free, wouldn’t it have to be?  But I guess even that isn’t really clear. “Hooked up” could still mean he paid for it.

I see he had a thing with Campbells that said “paid promo” or something, so I’m guessing he may have paid for the truck

Is that really the rule?  You can receive a free truck, but you cannot receive a free truck if its color palette matches the school colors?

What if your school has really generic colors and it is a standard color for the truck is offered in?  What if you pay the upcharge for the custom paint?

9 minutes ago, lightweight said:

That looks like a truck built for an upper weight.  Does it come with an entry stepladder for 125 pounders?  

Maybe he got the optional air lift kit and its in off road mode now but let the air out & he can slide right in.   If you look close might note the fridge is under the tonno cover in the bed.  🙂

7 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

No way the dealership is giving away vehicles without themselves gaining financially in some way. Possible they just *delivered* it since they're the dealer in Stillwater.

I assume it's just a like a free year lease or something like that. Still probably worth good $$$, but not exactly giving away a luxury car/ loaded truck.