• Playwire Ad Area

Tulsa Travel Guide - 2023 NCAAs

Warm Up Champ

On 11/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, Natty Boh Army said:

Correct. I haven't watched that in 20+ years, but I remembered something about a wrestling scene. I tried to find a clip of it, but no luck. 

What I remember most distinctly of the wrestling scene in that movie was that the out-of-bounds line on the mat was rectangular and not a circle.  You can kind of see it in the photo you posted. The outer line on the mat is farther from the inner circle on the left and right side of the image, but closer in the middle. This would not be the case if they are concentric circle.  I have never encountered such a wrestling mat in the real world.

On 1/10/2023 at 2:10 AM, Husker_Du said:

I was in Oklahoma for a HS tournament this weekend and everyone said NCAA's is gonna be .... not good. 

limited ... everything. including size of the venue. 

you were in Geary, tell me how many people there would even go to NCAA's.  17K people were at NCAA's in Detroit last year, BOK holds over 19K, so it is good there.  Food and beer all within walking distance.  The only snag will be parking, I am telling you, Tulsa will be fun. 

Side Note: I am not talking cost, I am hearing flights and hotels are out of line....I cannot comment on that. 

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, H82Lose said:

you were in Geary, tell me how many people there would even go to NCAA's.  17K people were at NCAA's in Detroit last year, BOK holds over 19K, so it is good there.  Food and beer all within walking distance.  The only snag will be parking, I am telling you, Tulsa will be fun. 

Side Note: I am not talking cost, I am hearing flights and hotels are out of line....I cannot comment on that. 

Man this is so refreshing to hear, first time going this year and all the negativity has been killing my mood for the trip. You restored my faith. 

• Fire 3

The stay itself will be fine because fans need a bed, a beer, nachos, and excellent wrestling. But you just have to figure out how to get there and how long it will take, then you have to figure out why you are paying dense city prices for a metro population of 1 million, then you have to figure out how long until you get bck home. Other than that it's fiiiiiiine. Same problem as Coralville world cup...

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

12 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The stay itself will be fine because fans need a bed, a beer, nachos, and excellent wrestling. But you just have to figure out how to get there and how long it will take, then you have to figure out why you are paying dense city prices for a metro population of 1 million, then you have to figure out how long until you get bck home. Other than that it's fiiiiiiine. Same problem as Coralville world cup...

who wants to be in a dense city and surely you wouldn't pay more to do so 🙄

On 1/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, H82Lose said:

the people i spoke to were rather intimately involved with ncaa's this year and also know tulsa well. 

that being said, i hope you're right.

TBD

14 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

the people i spoke to were rather intimately involved with ncaa's this year and also know tulsa well. 

that being said, i hope you're right.

Challenges will be parking, I mean, there are 2 big parking garages on each side, and other areas to park, but that is my concern. Room in BOK, like I said, it holds over 19K and there were 17K in Detroit. Hotels close, no issue, Food and bars, all over down there. Clean, you won't have many if any bums chasing you for a dollar, TPD keeps that place pretty nice.  Willie, you know I love my beer, there are places all around down there for beers and great food.  If you walk another few blocks over there is another district that has even more stuff to do. I have travel is a B*tch, so I cannot comment on that, so that may be a downfall.  The last part that is awesome, people here are not D*cks. People will greet you with open arms, open doors for you, and hell when you tell them you are from out of town, most will prolly buy you a beer. Arena across the street will be packed the whole time, folks will head over there and throw down, and then go back.  There is a dustbowl where they serve beers and you can bowl, this is what a lot parents with kids do.  There is a bar down there that is retro that has all 80 and 90's arcades and it is a bar.  You will notice, Tulsa likes its beer as well.  I am sure I will see you at some point since I missed you at Geary. 

Man, I'm hoping Tulsa puts on a much better face than I see people expecting, but size is definitely an issue.

By most measures, Little Ceasers Arena is bigger than the BOK, 19,515 compared to 17,096 for Hockey, 20,322 to 17,839 for Basketball. I'm not sure how wrestling capacity compares exactly to those, but I would expect a similar reduction. 

There flat out aren't enough hotels in downtown. The city even recognizes this, https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/how-many-hotel-rooms-in-downtown-tulsa-will-bring-in-bigger-events-2-200-isnt/article_eb21f8f8-eb31-11ec-9f82-3fb814b0e457.html

I think some people's ideas about Tulsa are a little colored by Big 12s and things being closed on the weekend right next to the arena, especially on Sunday. That won't be as much of a problem for NCAAs since it takes place Th-Sat. 

OSU has announced they are going to have a Fan Fest with food trucks and cash bar in the convention center. I believe the city is separately going to have a separate fan fest with a similar setup in the convention center. The city is also going to meet with the downtown and hopefully surrounding restaurants/bars to hopefully get them fully prepared for the influx from a staffing perspective.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, H82Lose said:

I talked to a close friend with the NWHOF (my turn to use an acronym)....and they said subtract 600 from the capacity due to needed floor space, contributing to the fact I'm in the upper bowl after 43 NCAA's/37 in a row.....smh.  BUT I'm with 6 other guys so that was a big factor.  That's OK....still the best time of year ....Big 10 for a huge warmup then the big dance...."March Matness ©".....I'm laying claim to coining the phrase many years ago, after sitting in establishments between sessions (with my former team mate S. B.*) stuck watching basketball with the commentators saying March Madness.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   *my 2nd acronym..lol

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

March Matness ©

I'm not around many wrestling friends anymore so whenever I say this phrase they just stare at me like a fool (so does my wife). Oh well what can you do. Wrestlers have them, other sports play with them...

• Fire 2

53 minutes ago, ionel said:

I dont even have to say anything to get that stare.  

I made the mistake of saying “what’s wrong?” last night and now I’m in overseeing weight management of the lightest weight. Joke’s on her because there is no better bro-love relationship than the lightest dude and the heavyweight!

(if you unwrap the above then that means I’m in charge of meal time of our toddler and me & little dude both have stupid fun which just gets me into infinitely more trouble)

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, PUWrestler said:

What are folks doing for parking? I'd like to park all day near the arena. Is this possible with street parking, or is it 2-3 hour metered?

I'm traveling with my dad (80 yrs old) and son (14).

Tulsa is a backward town.  Many don't realize that Oklahoma is not an actual state, that's a farce, its still Indian Territory.  There's plenty of free parking at the Trading Post, just bring something to trade.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PUWrestler said:

What are folks doing for parking? I'd like to park all day near the arena. Is this possible with street parking, or is it 2-3 hour metered?

I'm traveling with my dad (80 yrs old) and son (14).

It's 2 hour max on the street but then free after 5 and weekends.

There are several lots and garages close to the BOK Center. 

I recommend using SpotHero. You can type "Tulsa BOK Center" which will generate parking results for Big 12s and NCAAs (and the Harlem Globetrotters and Journey w/ Toto, etc.). You can then click results to choose parking by the hour/session/day/etc. Guarantees you a spot + likely less than/equal to standard rates. Some are street, some are garage, some are private. Can't confirm what types because I have never stayed in Tulsa and I plan to keep that streak alive.

image.png.4cfc5bd4b4619544332e41ce85a37a6a.png

• Fire 1