• Playwire Ad Area

Amit Elor

13 minutes ago, denger said:

Yes. And she won that title convincingly even though one match had a close score. We'll know more next month. By this time next year, if we're talking about Olympic Champion Amit Elor, she'll be at the top of everything at age 20, and it'll solidify all comparisons to other dominant wrestlers. 

"Trajectory" might be a better word. Her's is remarkably and rapidly progressing toward being most dominant wrestler in the world. I think she needs more than five international senior-level matches at a non-olympic weight before it's useful to make serious comparisons to folks with years of senior level success.

For now, I think it's more useful to compare to where the greats were at age 19. And there, she's on a better trajectory than just about anyone. 

Very enough. I'm looking forward to the world Championships . We have some really good individuals and teams as a whole.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, denger said:

Yes. And she won that title convincingly even though one match had a close score. We'll know more next month. By this time next year, if we're talking about Olympic Champion Amit Elor, she'll be at the top of everything at age 20, and it'll solidify all comparisons to other dominant wrestlers. 

"Trajectory" might be a better word. Her's is remarkably and rapidly progressing toward being most dominant wrestler in the world. I think she needs more than five international senior-level matches at a non-olympic weight before it's useful to make serious comparisons to folks with years of senior level success.

For now, I think it's more useful to compare to where the greats were at age 19. And there, she's on a better trajectory than just about anyone. 

Agreed on requiring more multiple senior matches. Hard disagree that they have to be Olympic weight. Your weight class is your weight class and Sepp Blatter has no say over your body.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

26 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Your weight class is your weight class and Sepp Blatter has no say over your body.

Yeah...I generally agree about competing at an optimal weight. Also, I say screw the administrators who don't recognize all elements of our sport (our 10 weight classes)

Still, the Olympic Gold is the pinnacle of our sport - Best illustrated by Mijain Lopez' announcement to go for another in 2024, but also many of our elite athletes consider the 4-year cycle in their training and competition decisions. I highly doubt that Amit Elor will be derailed by the added challenge of changing to an Olympic weight class next year. Whether she drops or gains weight we'll see her best.

I'm not doubting her at all, just pumping the brakes so my expectations don't get too far ahead of her future successes - simple self preservation from this fan.