• Playwire Ad Area

Virtriol and Name Calling On These Boards

Husker_Du

1 minute ago, ionel said:

And yet you are on here all the time talking about this "duece" guy, why?

Well, first off, whom is is this Deuce that I'm referring to?  

Second, if you know whom Deuce is, how is the name offensive, given its context?

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

5 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

Right.  There is a movement by Indians to get the name Redskins reinstated.  Many bizarre unIndians decided those Indians should be insulted.  NAGA is not happy with those flat out obnoxious butt-in-skis.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streettalk/washington-redskins-native-american-indians/2023/08/11/id/1130461/

Then so be it; that's how all of this has been operating anyway, since day one.

These tribes are first consulted as to their like or dislike of the terms and if changes are eventually made, they are made based on their consultation.  If changes aren't made, then these tribes had no objection.

That's an easy and respectful one but that should not be my job to determine its offensiveness for them.

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Just now, Ban Basketball said:

Well, first off, whom is is this Deuce that I'm referring to?  

Second, if you know whom Deuce is, how is the name offensive, given its context?

Thats what I am wondering, who is this deuce?  If you don't know and people reading don't know then why do you use the term?  Is it supposed to be offensive or a term of endearment? I don't know.

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Thats what I am wondering, who is this deuce?  If you don't know and people reading don't know then why do you use the term?  Is it supposed to be offensive or a term of endearment? I don't know.

No, it's a statement of fact about this individual-it WAS a two-time thing-and nothing in the world should be taken as offensive.  If it is, then I'll happily re-evaluate.

33 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Yeah, but one of the things I find bizarre is that too many determine for OTHERS what should and shouldn't be offensive to them.  It's not my job nor place to tell someone what should and shouldn't offend them.  That's just flat out obnoxious to me.

Now I have not advocated for you to be or not to be offended.  I have advocated for weak-minded individuals, who are also grown-ass adults, to quit being weak-minded individuals.  That is all.

• Fire 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

23 minutes ago, ionel said:

I might be said 'Deucer' in this scenario.

It is possible because I am a shithead.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

LOL at this thread.

Brain compliments us on not being giant sissies when it comes to back and forth insults and word use then people go on about how using the word <turdbiscuit> is bad even so far as comparing it to some of the worst racist sort of words you can compare them to (I am a black man FFS - THAT is a ***duck duck goose** insult)...

HFS can't make this up guys.  Not much further and I bet he will wish someone could make this political so he could delete this embarrassment of a thread...

Also thinking you can hold someone else on a random forum to whatever sort of standards you wish to?  If my grandchildren can't take being called a <turdbiscuit> then I didn't raise my children correctly.  They should have thicker skin than that.  There is a distinct difference between that and the unethical, racist words being thrown out as comparisons.

It always amazes me you think it is ok just because you can think of something worse. Why are you so insistent that the problem is us when you use that?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

34 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

No, it's a statement of fact about this individual-it WAS a two-time thing-and nothing in the world should be taken as offensive.  If it is, then I'll happily re-evaluate.

Statement of what fact?  Let us in on the secret.  Or why not just use said individual's name or title so we know who you are talking about.  Is redskin a statement of fact?

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It always amazes me you think it is ok just because you can think of something worse. Why are you so insistent that the problem is us when you use that?

I wasn't the one who said something worse here, was I?  I was playing devil's advocate to the OP and pointing out that it, in fact, has been untrue.

I have admitted on many occasions that I am part of the problem, as well.

Additionally, I am also allowed to believe that grown-ass adults who can't handle a simple word on a wrestling forum that is supposed to have nothing but the toughest gents in the world browsing it and playing keyboard warrior whilst browsing it are and should be considered weak.  It is an opinion that is valid to me, which is what matters to me.

EDIT: It is a word that transcends race and politics and aims directly for the moral fiber of the target.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I wasn't the one who said something worse here, was I?  I was playing devil's advocate to the OP and pointing out that it, in fact, has been untrue.

I have admitted on many occasions that I am part of the problem, as well.

Additionally, I am also allowed to believe that grown-ass adults who can't handle a simple word on a wrestling forum that is supposed to have nothing but the toughest gents in the world browsing it and playing keyboard warrior whilst browsing it are and should be considered weak.  It is an opinion that is valid to me, which is what matters to me.

EDIT: It is a word that transcends race and politics and aims directly for the moral fiber of the target.

Not only did you not say anything worse, I did not accuse you of saying anything worse.

But you did claim that others compared it to the worst racist words, which you find insulting. So again, just because there are worse words does not make that an acceptable word.

And just because you say it aims directly at the moral fiber of the target does not make it a true statement. That word has never had anything to do with moral fiber. And I would be shocked if you did not know that.

It seems like you just like to use it and will attempt any lame justification to do so. I think you are just plain wrong on this.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Now I have not advocated for you to be or not to be offended.  I have advocated for weak-minded individuals, who are also grown-ass adults, to quit being weak-minded individuals.  That is all.

Like that clears it up.  

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Statement of what fact?  Let us in on the secret.  Or why not just use said individual's name or title so we know who you are talking about.  Is redskin a statement of fact?

Donnie T. was impeached twice.  Hence, Deuce.

Name could also become Quad really quickly, as Deuce has been criminally indicted four different times.

What a role model for our kids, eh?

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not only did you not say anything worse, I did not accuse you of saying anything worse.

But you did claim that others compared it to the worst racist words, which you find insulting. So again, just because there are worse words does not make that an acceptable word.

And just because you say it aims directly at the moral fiber of the target does not make it a true statement. That word has never had anything to do with moral fiber. And I would be shocked if you did not know that.

It seems like you just like to use it and will attempt any lame justification to do so. I think you are just plain wrong on this.

Of which you are entitled to form your very own opinion on the matter.

I do like saying it for the reason(s) I previously stated.

In some countries, don't even think about using the thumbs-up hand gesture unless you want to say "up yours!"

OIP.InoL9kI5JJHwwbS57tC8cAAAAA?pid=ImgDe

As I have said, it is all about perspective.

But - to put a finer point on it - it boils down to being mostly about "intent." If the intent is to insult, then it is insulting communication.

(Just like a little kid calling you a 'big stupid head' to hurt your feelings.)

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to know what the actual intent is - and it can so easily be misinterpreted.

(Just like that little kid, who may actually be using that phrase as a term of endearment.)

It's not the 'word', 'phrase', or 'hand gesture' that is the problem. None of these needs to be banned. That's lazy thinking (copyright WKN.) 

It's the intent that is the problem... or... not the problem. Like sarcasm, can be tough to interpret.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

In some countries, don't even think about using the thumbs-up hand gesture unless you want to say "up yours!"

OIP.InoL9kI5JJHwwbS57tC8cAAAAA?pid=ImgDe

As I have said, it is all about perspective.

But - to put a finer point on it - it boils down to being mostly about "intent." If the intent is to insult, then it is insulting communication.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to know what the actual intent is - and it can so easily be misinterpreted.

(Just like that little kid, who may actually be using that phrase as a term of endearment.)

It's not the 'word', 'phrase', or 'hand gesture' that is the problem. None of these needs to be banned. That's lazy thinking (copyright WKN.) 

It's the intent that is the problem... or... not the problem. Like sarcasm, can be tough to interpret.

Screenshot_20230820-073901_Chrome.jpg.f934b2787bc5f8a5000665a45f45d502.jpg

• Fire 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

A funny family story:  Beauty and the Beast movie had been recently released so we took our two young children to see it.  Several days later little sister (about 3 years old at the time) breaks into a fit of screaming and sobbing from the next room where she is with her 5 year old brother.  After quickly assessing that she has no injury or other obvious cause to her distress we calm her down enough to elicit the cause:   Sobbing the turned and pointed an accusing finger at her brother, "He said I am an Overgrown Pocket Watch!".  Followed by a fresh round of wailing. 

GWN, you are absolutely correct.  The words between the children were absurd - especially to us adults who were tying ourselves in knots trying not to laugh.  But to those two children, his intent was to cut her to the bone and he did it very effectively.

Overgrown Pocket Watch is still a favorite family insult, often muttered under the breath.

En garde, you… you overgrown pocket watch. – Lumiere

Edited by Lipdrag
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, ionel said:

Screenshot_20230820-073901_Chrome.jpg.f934b2787bc5f8a5000665a45f45d502.jpg

So, what's with the checkered background? Does that represent your 'checkered' past? 

Or just that the original was a PNG with a transparent background that could have been cool, but you butchered it into a lame JPG to post it here.

I don't know. I'm guessing the latter.

C'mon Ionel! If you're going to go the humor route, go 100% or don't go at all. Presentation matters. On a silly BBS like this - it's all you've got.

11 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

A funny family story:  Beauty and the Beast movie had been recently released so we took our two young children to see it.  Several days later little sister (about 3 years old at the time) breaks into a fit of screaming and sobbing from the next room where she is with her 5 year old brother.  After quickly assessing that she has no injury or other obvious cause to her distress we calm her down enough to elicit the cause:   Sobbing the turned and pointed an accusing finger at her brother, "He said I am an Overgrown Pocket Watch!".  Followed by a fresh round of wailing. 

GWN, you are absolutely correct.  The words between the children were absurd - especially to us adults who were tying ourselves in knots trying not to laugh.  But to those two children, his intent was to cut her to the bone and he did it very effectively.

Overgrown Pocket Watch is still a favorite family insult, often muttered under the breath.

En garde, you… you overgrown pocket watch. – Lumiere

Really good post!

I'll use this story (and the 'Overgrown Pocket Watch' part in particular) again.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

54 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Some words are taboo. N bomb and c word are two of them in this country.  I'd feel remiss as a friend if I didn't give a strong heads up to a foreigner tossing out the c word.

The N word and the C word are not on the same level.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

So, what's with the checkered background? Does that represent your 'checkered' past? 

Or just that the original was a PNG with a transparent background that could have been cool, but you butchered it into a lame JPG to post it here.

I don't know. I'm guessing the latter.

C'mon Ionel! If you're going to go the humor route, go 100% or don't go at all. Presentation matters. On a silly BBS like this - it's all you've got.

I was just being plan old lazy.  That was the background on the first image I found.  But now that I've had my morning coffee ...

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u7.j

• Fire 1