• Playwire Ad Area

2023 Junior Worlds

27 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

You are probably right. Last year Feldman was completely outclassed against Masoumi. That said, if Carroll is truly the #1 P4P in the 2023 recruiting class, he should be able to hang tough.

That said, Masoumi is a top 10 guy in the world right now and would be in that Iranian lineup if it were not for Zare.

If Carroll hangs with Masoumi I will be thoroughly shocked because there are levels and then there are levels. He is good enough to win a senior medal right now and may very well be the starter for Iran at Paris if he follows the same developmental trajectory as Zare. And you can't forget that Ghasempour and/or Goleji may throw their respective hats in at 125 depending on how the 86/97 lineup shakes out. It is very much a JB/Dake/Taylor problem in that room right now.

• Fire 5

i am an idiot on the internet

10 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

James Green and individual coaches. Often times in Cadets it's their HS coach. At Juniors it's almost entirely one of their college coaches.

James + 

Lilledahl = Cornell Robinson (Wyoming Seminary)

Bouzakis + Mendez = Jagger and Stieber

Shapiro = Grey and Yianni

Mesenbrink = not sure. probably Casey Cunningham

Singleton = Adam Hall

Berge = Damion Hahn

Darrah = Cornell Robinson + (i think) Deakin

Camden McDanal = his father

Christian Carroll = not sure. probably Chris Perry

it was indeed Casey for Mesenbrink.

• Fire 1

TBD

13 hours ago, PNWfan said:

You are probably right. Last year Feldman was completely outclassed against Masoumi. That said, if Carroll is truly the #1 P4P in the 2023 recruiting class, he should be able to hang tough.

That said, Masoumi is a top 10 guy in the world right now and would be in that Iranian lineup if it were not for Zare.

Feldman was the #1 P4P last year wasn't he?

He wasn't even close to amounting to an ounce towards the possibility of maybe competing against Masoumi last season.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

James Green and individual coaches. Often times in Cadets it's their HS coach. At Juniors it's almost entirely one of their college coaches.

James + 

Lilledahl = Cornell Robinson (Wyoming Seminary)

Bouzakis + Mendez = Jagger and Stieber

Shapiro = Grey and Yianni

Mesenbrink = not sure. probably Casey Cunningham

Singleton = Adam Hall

Berge = Damion Hahn

Darrah = Cornell Robinson + (i think) Deakin

Camden McDanal = his father

Christian Carroll = not sure. probably Chris Perry

it was indeed Casey for Mesenbrink.

• Fire 3
  • Haha 1

Just watched Bouzakis lose to Mohit.  Bouzakis was constantly firing early.  Worked early.  But could not turn Mohit when on top.  Mohit was slick and long.  Wrestled well.  Seemed to turn Bouzakis without much effort.   Was back and forth.  I thought Bouzakis had a TD and a turn at the end but only 2 points were given.  Kinda confused on that.  Bouzakis was exhausted by end.  Kept fighting but he wore himself out.  Mohit looked much fresher.  Think it was 12-11 Mohit at the end.

• Fire 1

Just now, Dark Energy said:

Just watched Bouzakis lose to Mohit.  Bouzakis was constantly firing early.  Worked early.  But could not turn Mohit when on top.  Mohit was slick and long.  Wrestled well.  Seemed to turn Bouzakis without much effort.   Was back and forth.  I thought Bouzakis had a TD and a turn at the end but only 2 points were given.  Kinda confused on that.  Bouzakis was exhausted by end.  Kept fighting but he wore himself out.  Mohit looked much fresher.  Think it was 12-11 Mohit at the end.

Bouzakis is a physical dynamo and establishes himself as a physical superior at the beginning of nearly every match.  Unfortunately at this level, even if he is the superior it isn't going be to by as much as some local high school tourney here in the states.  He did this in each of his three matches today and came in less fresh than his next opponent each time because of this.  He had 12 minutes of gruel under his belt before the match even started and 18 by the end of it, where Mohit had ~3 minutes prior?  We see it all the time where we burn ourselves out burning out our opponents then gas the next round.  It is oftentimes that our opponent is burned by the next round as well...

• Fire 3

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

cringe.gif

Poor Carroll...

But yeah!  He is totally a lock for high AA next season, guys!  Doesn't need any form of redshirt AT ALL.

Not sure this is the match to troll Carroll supporters for.

Masoumi has won Cadets, U20 and U23 worlds already. He's a senior-level medal threat right now. Literally the only takeaway is that Carroll isn't the best age-group 125kg in the world, which we already knew.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Bouzakis is a physical dynamo and establishes himself as a physical superior at the beginning of nearly every match.  Unfortunately at this level, even if he is the superior it isn't going be to by as much as some local high school tourney here in the states.  He did this in each of his three matches today and came in less fresh than his next opponent each time because of this.  He had 12 minutes of gruel under his belt before the match even started and 18 by the end of it, where Mohit had ~3 minutes prior?  We see it all the time where we burn ourselves out burning out our opponents then gas the next round.  It is oftentimes that our opponent is burned by the next round as well...

Given the turnover rate of the bouts... one would think that this would be a lesson in pacing oneself as the tournament progresses.

D3

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Given the turnover rate of the bouts... one would think that this would be a lesson in pacing oneself as the tournament progresses.

D3

I agree.  Especially after last year.

Looking forward to seeing him be the 133lb starter for tOSU for an entire season.  If he can't fix that pacing he may go undefeated in duals to turn around and shit the bed come tourney time.

• Fire 1

52 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Not sure this is the match to troll Carroll supporters for.

Masoumi has won Cadets, U20 and U23 worlds already. He's a senior-level medal threat right now. Literally the only takeaway is that Carroll isn't the best age-group 125kg in the world, which we already knew.

That isn't a troll.  This was already expected.  I maintain that it cements, for me, the fact that he does need a redshirt.  There are at least six guys who are going to be able to manhandle him in D1 right now.  Three of them exhaust eligibility this year with a potential of the other three also not utilizing their COVID 'free' year. 

Add in that there are quite a few gents that are simply 'on par' with him right now and the upside is basically 7th if every single thing goes correctly for him this year where the downside could be two and done.  That has him potentially beating guys like Slavikouski and Fernandez and Luffman, who I would absolutely favor them at this point.

Now, I absolutely believe that Carroll will improve a significant amount over the course of the next calendar year.  This shows he isn't quite ready for that 'man man' shit yet.

Disclaimer: I am okay if he proves me wrong.  100% okay with that.

• Fire 1

Masoumi reminds me of a young Taha Akgul. Significant height advantage, in great shape, fluid technique that makes it look too easy.

Carroll reminds me of a young Pillsbury doughboy that just horses people around that aren't as muscularly mature yet. Good thing Uncle John will have him down to 184 by February! He needs to RS to maximize his potential.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

That isn't a troll.  This was already expected.  I maintain that it cements, for me, the fact that he does need a redshirt.  There are at least six guys who are going to be able to manhandle him in D1 right now.  Three of them exhaust eligibility this year with a potential of the other three also not utilizing their COVID 'free' year. 

Add in that there are quite a few gents that are simply 'on par' with him right now and the upside is basically 7th if every single thing goes correctly for him this year where the downside could be two and done.  That has him potentially beating guys like Slavikouski and Fernandez and Luffman, who I would absolutely favor them at this point.

Now, I absolutely believe that Carroll will improve a significant amount over the course of the next calendar year.  This shows he isn't quite ready for that 'man man' shit yet.

Disclaimer: I am okay if he proves me wrong.  100% okay with that.

Then it's an illogical and absurd standard. Every current D1 heavyweight would lost to Masoumi in a similar fashion. There aren't guys like him in D1. 

I tend to agree that Carroll would benefit from a redshirt season like most freshman would, just completely disagree that his match with Masoumi is any sort of barometer for that decision. It's not like we just watched him get teched by Lucas Davison. 

Edited by TylerDurden
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, TylerDurden said:

Then it's an illogical and absurd standard. Every current D1 heavyweight would lost to Masoumi in a similar fashion. There aren't guys like him in D1. 

I tend to agree that Carroll would benefit from a redshirt season like most freshman would, just completely disagree that his match with Masoumi is any sort of barometer for that decision. It's not like we just watched him get teched by Lucas Davison. 

We will have to agree to disagree.

No sense in beating this dead horse on the 23 U20 Worlds thread.

48 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Masoumi reminds me of a young Taha Akgul. Significant height advantage, in great shape, fluid technique that makes it look too easy.

Carroll reminds me of a young Pillsbury doughboy that just horses people around that aren't as muscularly mature yet. Good thing Uncle John will have him down to 184 by February! He needs to RS to maximize his potential.

Carroll didn't look too impressive out there when we stepped on the mat with Masoumi. Needs some time in the weight room. To me, it seems like he is a fringe AA right now who could probably use a redshirt year to help his body develop.

PNWfan

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Also per Kozak... Yao Ming is wrestling for China.

For those not in the know, Masoumi is a giant of a kid at 6'6" as of last year and 20 Y.O.

Is Kosak saying that Masoumi and Lu are only 2 inches different in height? Watching the video it looked like about half a foot difference.

Edited by MNRodent
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Is Kozak saying that Masoumi and Lu are only 2 inches different in height? Watching the video it looked like about half a foot difference.

I also thought the same thing.  In Kozak's defense, he did say 'like' which provides some leeway.

• Fire 1