• Playwire Ad Area

Weight Class Wish List, V23-24

nhs67

Greetings All,

Figured it would be fun to discuss this.  Rather than a 'This is happening' sort of thing make it a 'It would be cool if this happened' sort of thing.

So Sasso to 157 and Bastida to 285 are off the table since they are happening.

I will lead it off with a few.  Some have traction and some do not.

Ragusin, UofM - I would like to see him at 141 this year and not take a redshirt.  My understanding is it is about 50/50 as of now which direction it will be.

Amine, UofM (Also Griffith, UofM by proxy) - I would like to see Amine at 174.  I want to see him against Starocci now.  I just do.

Saldate, MSU - I would like to see him at 165 in an attempt to set himself up at a run in the International style(s).  This likely pushes Fish up to 174, which I think he is undersized for, but a drop to 157 is likely out after he wrestled 79 KG this offseason.

Gilcher, Indiana - I would like to see him at 165 for the same reason(s) as Saldate.  He showed moxie this offseason at 74 KG.  I want to see him run it back collegiately before he transfers in to Michigan to wrestle his last season with his brother (another hope).

North, Maryland & South, Indiana - I don't care which one does it... but I would prefer South go down to 157 and have him make this match happen.  North to 165 seems long-winded and at Indiana Gilcher can swap weights with him.  I have to see this.  It is a requirement.

Lewis, Virginia Tech - I want to see him at 184.  This gives us a 'Big 4' up there with PK, Munoz, and Truax as the other three.  I just don't see him touching Starocci right now... 174 is his weight... and I want to see Lewis give the Internation style a go after this season, which I don't see him being able to get to 74 KG anymore.

Fix, OSU - I would like to see him at 125lbs.  A poetic justice sort of thing.  I wanted him at 141 before, but he is going 57 KG for OTT so 125 it is.

Teske/Ayala, Iowa - I would like them to swap weights.  Ayala at 133 and Teske at 125.  Ayala has the frame to be successful at 133 and his shoulder injuries make me concerned about him cutting weight.  Teske is too small for 133.

Parco, ASU - I want to see him at 141.  He is not even an average sized 149lber.  He is so fast and good... i want to see him at 141 prior to him making a run at 65 KG.

Teemer, ASU - Up to 165 to prepare for a 74 KG run.

Valencia, ASU - Up to 184 to prepare for a 86 KG run (for Mexico).

Wick/Lamer(Legend) - Weight swap.  I think it makes sense.

Caliendo, Iowa - Up to 184 (bumping Assad to 197), also Swafford to 184 to compete as well.

Just a few ideas/wishes.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Patrick McKee to 133, cuts way too much weight. He’s way too old to be cutting like this. Jake Gliva to 125

That is a good one.

Much like Latona, he has the length for it.

On 8/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

Patrick McKee to 133, cuts way too much weight. He’s way too old to be cutting like this. Jake Gliva to 125

I personally thought that McKee looked sickly in this year's Big Dance.  Other than Tomasello when he went back to 125, that may have been the most sunken in eyes I've seen.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 8/11/2023 at 7:54 AM, Le duke said:

If McKee goes 133, Minnesota will have lost Spratley to a non-existent weight log jam between the two of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I agree....I would "assume" the conversations took place before his transfer, which is why I think a move to 133 would be an after the fact move.  I am not in the know if the Spratley move was only weight. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• 1 month later...

I am surprised Chumbley and Mayfield are staying 157/165.  I expected one ti head to 149 and the other to occupy 157.  Northwestern has a decent Frosh there in Joe Martin for 165.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I am surprised Chumbley and Mayfield are staying 157/165.  I expected one ti head to 149 and the other to occupy 157.  Northwestern has a decent Frosh there in Joe Martin for 165.

They have a young roster with lots to work out.  WrestleStat lineup is probably off on multiple weight classes right now.

I missed this,  but Bastida is going 285!? There are those rare, rare smaller heavyweights who are really successful,  but he ain't going to be one of them.  

Just tired of cutting weight (although it can't be much he cuts)? 

He didn't necessarily tear up the wrestling world at 197  but he'll be terrible at that weight.  You heard it here first,  friends. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

5 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I missed this,  but Bastida is going 285!? There are those rare, rare smaller heavyweights who are really successful,  but he ain't going to be one of them.  

Just tired of cutting weight (although it can't be much he cuts)? 

He didn't necessarily tear up the wrestling world at 197  but he'll be terrible at that weight.  You heard it here first,  friends. 

If   not "tearing up the wrestling world" is a R16 and 5th AA finish , what is "terrible'?  ... you know,, so we all know we heard it here first. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

If   not "tearing up the wrestling world" is a R16 and 5th AA finish , what is "terrible'?  ... you know,, so we all know we heard it here first. 

Well, how timely!

Another guy that came in hyped to the hilt.  36 time world champ,  all-world, 14 time North Dakota summer tournament champion,  yet,  I was less than impressed, given the hype. I was expeckin something much more,  and he couldn't get out from bottom most of his first season. 

Yes,  his run to earn 5th was decent,  but that's about all she wrote. Round of 16 offers little to greatly impress me. 

Unless he's gotten a lot bigger- maybe he has-he ain't gonna cut it at 285.

You've heard it here first,  friends. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

1 minute ago, Ban Basketball said:

Well, how timely!

Another guy that came in hyped to the hilt.  36 time world champ,  all-world, 14 time North Dakota summer tournament champion,  yet,  I was less than impressed, given the hype.

Yes,  his run to earn 5th was decent,  but that's about all she wrote. Round of 16 offers little to greatly impress me. 

Unless he's gotten a lot bigger- maybe he has-he ain't gonna cut it at 285.

You've heard it here first,  friends. 

What is your definition of "terrible" and "He ain't gonna cut it" so that your friends can make sure they heard it here first? 

Just now, Idaho said:

What is your definition of "terrible" and "He ain't gonna cut it" so that your friends can make sure they heard it here first? 

I'm too smart to debate "what if's" too derned much any more, so I won't even try.  I'll talk near the end of the season how it's going. 

Little known fact, but I am also an ISU fan,  but he's just not going to be the answer at 285. I sure want to be wrong because I like ISU,  but he ain't the answer at 285.

In late season,  feel free to engage me again,  and I'll HAPPILY admit I was wrong if he performs better at 285 than he did at 197.

5 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I'm too smart to debate "what if's" too derned much any more, so I won't even try.  I'll talk near the end of the season how it's going. 

Little known fact, but I am also an ISU fan,  but he's just not going to be the answer at 285. I sure want to be wrong because I like ISU,  but he ain't the answer at 285.

In late season,  feel free to engage me again,  and I'll HAPPILY admit I was wrong if he performs better at 285 than he did at 197.

He did bump to HWT last season at least once with success and Dresser said in an interview a few months ago he was 235 and still lean before even adding extra weight.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

He did bump to HWT last season at least once with success and Dresser said in an interview a few months ago he was 235 and still lean before even adding extra weight.

Well,  that's adding a good amount of size for him,  which would lead me to change my views a little bit. 

I just couldn't picture him being very big at all for the weight. For him,  and to me,  it's all about size. 

I don’t see a bumped up 197 who got handled by a bumped up 184 (Max Dean) having much luck at 285.

I’d be pleasantly surprised if he does well, though. If he can beat Kueter, oh man, that might win the Cy-Hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At one point last year, Bastida weighed in at 197 and then bumped up to heavyweight to defeat Lewis Fernandes (the guy is no slouch, certainly).  That alone gives some hope that he may be able to make the jump.  An off-season of muscle building and weight gain should help.  I'll be rooting for him.  

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Lewis Fernandes (the guy is no slouch, certainly).  

Don't sell him so short.  He's a tremendous slouch. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

At one point last year, Bastida weighed in at 197 and then bumped up to heavyweight to defeat Lewis Fernandes (the guy is no slouch, certainly).  That alone gives some hope that he may be able to make the jump.  An off-season of muscle building and weight gain should help.  I'll be rooting for him.  

FWIW, Fernandes was battling injuries and didn't finish the year.

Penn's posted roster has Lucas Revano (one of the team captains this year) at 157, apparently coming down from 165.  Could be interesting.   

Penn 285 is interesting and hard to predict (at least to me).  They have some full size big men, including Soph. Cruise, Frosh Vinciguerra and Frosh Delsanter, Sr. Stout (who already migrated up from 184 and looked pretty good last year) and some other guys who may go up from 197 if they do not win the spot (e.g. Sr. Cole Urbas, Frosh Cosgrove, and Frosh Connolly).

149 and 165 for Penn also hard to predict as it seems from the roster that there are many guys who could win these spots.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Did Jake agree to this? 🤣 He's the same age.

He has wrestled a total of ten matches at 125, though... like four years ago...

4 hours ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

I'd be shocked if Swisher was not the guy at 149.

I have heard good things, but not seem him. 

Wrestle-offs scheduled for early Nov.  Roster shows quite a few state champs in the room who could be in the hunt for this spot.   2xNJ Champ Troczynski, NY Champ Jackson Polo (NY 5,3,3,1); OH Champ Richard Delsanter; NJ Finalist Dunnigan; OH Champ and 2x finalist Seefeldt - and a couple of other guys w high school credentials. Never know if the roster weights are accurate.