• Playwire Ad Area

Science, AntiScience, and Censorship

Husker_Du

1 hour ago, Paul158 said:

Looks like that only covers violent extremism.  Which I would think would be a different definition than Extremism. Check out the definition I posted.

You asked for the government's definition. I doubt there is a definition of extremism that does not include violence. It is the violence that makes it extreme, which I believe is part of the definition in that document.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You asked for the government's definition. I doubt there is a definition of extremism that does not include violence. It is the violence that makes it extreme, which I believe is part of the definition in that document.

I posted  one definition. That isn't violent.

2 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

I have no dog in this fight and seriously would like to know who defines "extremist" and what is the definition?   Clearly you have to know what the answer to those questions if you are researching "stuff"...otherwise how do you know what to research?  Again, I truly am interested.  

No, I don't do the defining, as I only do secondary research these days.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Try doing a google search to find exactly how many of these violent extremists there are. I can't find one study or article that gives you concrete numbers. I did see where there were 59 violent attacks from 2000  to 2016. With 29 deaths. Like a I said earlier that is 4 week ends in Chicago.

40 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

For most of us, this is our go-to site.  Read all about it!

https://www.adl.org/research-centers/center-on-extremism

Looks like a pretty biased site.  They've already decided there's two main hate groups and then the other.  Does this mean everyone in Ukraine is a hate group because they are anti Russian gov't?

Screenshot_20230808-130108_Chrome.jpg.0841de6f9d19379b7e8bc3f079087ffb.jpg

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Looks like a pretty biased site.  They've already decided there's two main hate groups and then the other.  Does this mean everyone in Ukraine is a hate group because they are anti Russian gov't?

Screenshot_20230808-130108_Chrome.jpg.0841de6f9d19379b7e8bc3f079087ffb.jpg

Baloney.  I've been using their data, as do most in this area of study, for decades.

Dig deeper and you'll see that they include all races, religions, ethnic groups, etc. who are involved in extremism.

Good science doesn't give a dern about who's doing it.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

I understand what you are saying @Ban Basketball but the science can be "good" and pure in its collection (so don't get offended so easily) but the interpretation and presentation of that data can 100% be biased and slanted.

Read their research.  Again, this is tedious.  People can't keep commenting on "what they are doing wrong" without actually looking at their reports.

They simply take documented cases of extremism and compile them into data and pie charts indicating what it is, who the victims are, and who is doing it.  There's nothing vague in their reports.

4 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Read their research.  Again, this is tedious. 

Ban - using the word tedious?   Isn't that a bit high brow?   Are you trying to increase our vocabulary?  I say hmmph hmmph!! (must be done in an English accent to get the full effect)

mspart

4 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Read their research.  Again, this is tedious.  People can't keep commenting on "what they are doing wrong" without actually looking at their reports.

They simply take documented cases of extremism and compile them into data and pie charts indicating what it is, who the victims are, and who is doing it.  There's nothing vague in their reports.

You are right...I haven't read it...I don't to do so on my work computer; however, I in no way was commenting on "what they are doing wrong" rather just simply making a commentary (which is why I said quite getting so offended) about the different between data collection and data interpretation and presentation...I worked 11 years in drug development and know a thing or two about data collection and analysis just like you.

1 minute ago, mspart said:

Ban - using the word tedious?   Isn't that a bit high brow?   Are you trying to increase our vocabulary?  I say hmmph hmmph!! (must be done in an English accent to get the full effect)

mspart

Don't you ever tire of people who don't even read things, yet they can tell you all about what the report or article is saying?

It's maddening and tedious to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

You are right...I haven't read it...I don't to do so on my work computer; however, I in no way was commenting on "what they are doing wrong" rather just simply making a commentary (which is why I said quite getting so offended) about the different between data collection and data interpretation and presentation...I worked 11 years in drug development and know a thing or two about data collection and analysis just like you.

They take documented cases, show us who did it, who the victims were, and what happened and simply report it in numbers.

Little room for "bias" there.

4 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

For the sheep.  In a Central Planning sort of way.  

One of those who thinks Jewish people "own everything," eh?

No wonder why you resist learning.

38 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Baloney.  I've been using their data, as do most in this area of study, for decades.

Dig deeper and you'll see that they include all races, religions, ethnic groups, etc. who are involved in extremism.

Good science doesn't give a dern about who's doing it.

Don't know what you are talking about, I said nothing about "who's doing it."  I see no reason to "dig deeper" they've put right their on the front page who they think the two groups are without support of data or definition.  

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

Don't know what you are talking about, I said nothing about "who's doing it."  I see no reason to "dig deeper" they've put right their on the front page who they think the two groups are without support of data or definition.  

READ THE ***duck duck goose** REPORT!

God, this maddening.  How are people so deliberately ignorant?

Just now, Ban Basketball said:

One of those who thinks Jewish people "own everything," eh?

No wonder why you resist learning.

No, it’s you who are supporting and displaying the fascist agenda.  

Sure, they analyze and report the data of the cases they choose.  They also operate with all the bias and deficiencies that are inherent in the craft.