• Playwire Ad Area

A bill I think we all can agree on

7 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that the establishment will be pushing hard to get this squashed before it gets too much momentum. These career politicians have insane portfolios (from insider trading knowledge - which of course you and I would go to prison for).

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gus said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that the establishment will be pushing hard to get this squashed before it gets too much momentum. These career politicians have insane portfolios (from insider trading knowledge - which of course you and I would go to prison for).

I see this as a very cynical bill. They know it has absolutely no chance of going anywhere, but  they can tout that they tried.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

60 minutes did a piece on this a few years back. it's pretty insane what the current laws are (congress is LITERALLY immune from insider trading (at least at the time the piece aired).

anyway, i feel like it's truly gaining momentum.

imo, two of the most important changes would be trading stock and term limits.

• Fire 2

TBD

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I see this as a very cynical bill. They know it has absolutely no chance of going anywhere, but  they can tout that they tried.

Precisely what I said to my wife when we saw it. 

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

imo, two of the most important changes would be trading stock and term limits.

Agreed but also feel like if they were banned from trading stock the term limits would be less important. We’d have a higher ratio of people there actually to serve rather than to get rich, or exponentially increase their wealth

Edited by WrestlingRasta
  • Fire 1

Age limits seem more important than anything at this point. Biden got lost leaving the podium multiple times in the past month, McConnell forgot he was at a press conference yesterday, Feinstein was told how to vote today… Why do we allow geriatrics make decisions that will affect the country for a greater number of years than the number of weeks they have to live?

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Agreed but also feel like if they were banned from trading stock the term limits would be less important. We’d have a higher ratio of people there actually to serve rather than to get rich, or exponentially increase their wealth

doubtful. they make a killing in other ways than insider trading, namely the lobbies.

• Fire 2

TBD

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Why would you be in favor of canning a brilliant person because of their age?

Because think about what a wonderful place this board would be if we got rid of everyone say 55 and over.  🙂

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Why would you be in favor of canning a brilliant person because of their age?

They are a security risk. Everyone knows the easiest way to hack an octogenarian is to send them an email offering free tokens for online slots. They can’t help themselves.

• Fire 1

If I were to make a bill regarding federal representative pay/ terms with the goal of getting money out of politics and the best possible candidates, it would be this:

1.) Once elected, all personal property (other than primary residence), business interests, savings, stocks, trusts, etc. are liquidated and signed over to the treasury.

2.) All House members are paid $200k/yr for first term, $250k/yr for second term, and $300k/yr for third term, with a limit of three terms. 

3.) All Senators are paid $400k/yr for first term and $500k/yr for second term, with a limit of two terms.

4.) When representative leaves office in good standing (defeated or term-limited), they will receive a yearly pension equal to the highest salary earned and health insurance through the Obamacare portal for life.

5.) Any income above the yearly pension amount will be federally taxed at 99.95%.

(I might up those salaries… double perhaps)

Edited by DJT

Term limits is a Constitutional issue as SCOTUS said some time ago. 

Pay is another matter and is up to Congress to make.   Those are big numbers but it is expensive to live there. 

I'm not sure item 1 is doable but the idea is not bad.   I'm not sure turning over their entire wealth to the treasury is a good idea.   What rich guy would want to do that?  A middle class guy might be ok with it except for any savings or other investments they have.   Poor guys wouldn't care.   

But this is interesting to say the least. 

mspart

2 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

what does this mean? sorry, i don't understand. 

It was in response to part 1 of my post just above it… though, I’m confused because he said it was not a bad idea just before he said it wasn’t a good idea.

Edited by DJT

I’d also add that all campaigns be completely publicly financed and limited to a three-month election season, but that would require a constitutional amendment excluding political speech from the first amendment. I wrote a 60-some-odd-page capstone about campaign finance reform and the First Amendment, arguing the McCain-Feingold Act was unconstitutional (in part) for its limits on campaign spending and, in turn, speech. This was almost four years before Citizens United v. FEC. I’m pretty sure Anthony Kennedy plagiarized some of my work in his Supreme Court opinion, so I regret being so convincing. 😅