• Playwire Ad Area

Until when is wrestling guaranteed to remain an Olympics sport, 2024? 2028?

On 7/31/2023 at 3:06 PM, Jason Bryant said:

Countries NOW don't fund the non-Olympic weights (like Cuba, for example), so if they're all non-Olympic weights, you just cut the head off the sport globally, leaving pretty much who?

Cuba's last world champ in freestyle was at a non-Olympic weight.

2 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

In Russia and Iran, wrestling has no paying fan base?   I've seen the Iranian fans during World Cup events here in the USA and they were very supportive of our sport.  Perhaps it was because it was a(n) historic showdown, since Iran wasn't guaranteed to even receive visas for the event. 

I believe the Iranian fans we see at events here are more those that emigrated here years ago.

15 hours ago, fishbane said:

Cuba's last world champ in freestyle was at a non-Olympic weight.

Exception vs. the rule. Look at their weights at the Pan Am Championships annually. They will go at the Olympic weights and usually have a void at the non-Olympic weights. 

Insert catchy tagline here. 

What if companies abroad would offer scholarships or fellowships to wrestlers there to come train in the USA for a week, month or more?   Andy Hrovat seems to have benefited from training in Ossetia, Russia for a year:

https://youtu.be/8-YPKvLaAUM   

If the end result is more countries aggressively backing keeping wrestling as an Olympics sport, that could be a win / win situation for us all...   

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

On 8/3/2023 at 5:39 AM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

In Russia and Iran, wrestling has no paying fan base?   I've seen the Iranian fans during World Cup events here in the USA and they were very supportive of our sport.  Perhaps it was because it was a(n) historic showdown, since Iran wasn't guaranteed to even receive visas for the event. 

Within Iran itself the events are usually actually free to go and watch, believe it or not. I haven't followed wrestling hard core in a few years but I am getting back into it now. Back then (like 3 - 4 years ago) when dates and venues were announced for pretty much any event it was also mentioned that entry is free. 

I have no idea regarding Russia but I am sure the wrestlers there get the vast majority of their income through  government rewards for winning and not because they can sell out arenas. 

Edited by Takuto_Otoguro