• Playwire Ad Area

Poddubny Wrestling League 5

Originally set to take place in Istanbul - now in Vladikavkaz.  The fifth installment of the Poddubny Wrestling League is set to take place at the end of July: 27th-29th.

This event will be highlighted by the return of Sadulaev!  and return of Sidakov (he last won the Yarygin in January).

A 16-man tournament at 74kg and 97kg to determine who will be the representative at this year's World Championships in Serbia (again).  Despite both Chermen Valiev and Alikhan Zhabrailov's victories at the Russian Nationals last month, both must take part in this mini tournament (as well as Sidakov & Sadulaev) to come out on top.  Only then, will they be confirmed to be wrestling in The White Fenix.  Although intriguing, I think it is safe to assume both Sidakov and Sadulaev will win the mini tournament and come out on top.

Other announced matches:

Abasgadzhi Magomedov vs. Ermakh Ormanoglu (Turkey)

Ibragim Ibragimov vs. Vazgen Tevanyan (Armenia)

Aslan Visaitov vs. Luis Alberto Orta Sanchez (Cuba - Olympic Champion)  - Visaitov lost to Sanchez at the last PWL, but never mind...

Artur Sargasyan vs. Mikheil Kajaia (Georgia/Serbia)

Sergey Stepanov vs. Aik Mnatsakanyan (Armenia/Bulgaria)

Akhmed Usmanov vs. Akhmad Magomedov (North Macedonia\Russia)

Will post more matches as they are announced!

Zaur Uguev is expected to wrestle at the event

Poddubny Wrestling League 5 will feature the debut of the first ever American wrestler to wrestle at this league (Gilman?  Richards?  Who?)

A match between two 51 year olds is expected to take place..  why not, I guess

8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

An American athlete competing in Russia next week is about as likely as Russia declaring an end to the invasion of Ukraine next week.

I agree, but it is written on the official PWL website.  Only one way to find out. 

39 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Who weighs more today: Cox or Sadulaev?

Well.. despite the apparent and obvious Chonk that is Sadulaev's new nickname there have been some who have said he hasn't weighed over 100 KG.

While I doubt that, it leads me to believe that the injured Cox is pulling a White Goodman in anticipation of Snyder winning another Worlds Gold medal.

Even though I think Chonkulaev got considerably heavier than 100 KG at his highest, I think Cox is more at this point.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Well.. despite the apparent and obvious Chonk that is Sadulaev's new nickname there have been some who have said he hasn't weighed over 100 KG.

While I doubt that, it leads me to believe that the injured Cox is pulling a White Goodman in anticipation of Snyder winning another Worlds Gold medal.

Even though I think Chonkulaev got considerably heavier than 100 KG at his highest, I think Cox is more at this point.

Each of Sad’s fingers weighed 100kg in that photo. He’s getting at least a 10 kilo allowance this weekend if he actually shows up

But I also heard from someone whose word I consider to be very solid that Cox touched 250… and it wasn’t a facetious comment off the cuff.

Maybe they both consider Gable to be the final mountain to greatness and this is part of the plan?

i am an idiot on the internet

38 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Each of Sad’s fingers weighed 100kg in that photo. He’s getting at least a 10 kilo allowance this weekend if he actually shows up

But I also heard from someone whose word I consider to be very solid that Cox touched 250… and it wasn’t a facetious comment off the cuff.

Maybe they both consider Gable to be the final mountain to greatness and this is part of the plan?

I heard Cox was over 240 from someone about as close as you can be to him.

It doesn't exactly surprise me.  Zillmer had made a comment in one of his interviews at World Team Camp that even though he was our HWT he was probably lighter than both Snyder and Cox after practices.  And when he was asked what he was weighing he said '220... 225 or so' so that puts Cox at about 230 in my mind.  Add in another 11lbs due to the weight class change and 240 isn't insane to think of.

I am also of the mind that his style would transcend weight classes.  While he might not beat Snyder he can do the same thing at 97 KG as he could at 92 KG and I also think he would have won the spot had he just accepted the 97.1 KG and gone 125 KG that year.  Imagine a 240lb him VS Zare or Akgul.  If Gwiazdowski can keep it close, imagine how close it would have been with Cox...

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

We unfortunately won't be seeing Sadulaev vs. Zhabrailov this weekend (assuming both would make it to the final).  Zhabrailov wants more time to heal his shoulder and will meet Sadulaev at the training camp in Sochi, where a match will be held to determine the World representative.  

It isn't clear if Sadulaev will still compete (I think not). 

A Sidakov vs. Valiev match looks to be the main event. 

On 7/25/2023 at 5:53 AM, KingOtoguro said:

We unfortunately won't be seeing Sadulaev vs. Zhabrailov this weekend (assuming both would make it to the final).  Zhabrailov wants more time to heal his shoulder and will meet Sadulaev at the training camp in Sochi, where a match will be held to determine the World representative.  

It isn't clear if Sadulaev will still compete (I think not). 

A Sidakov vs. Valiev match looks to be the main event. 

Trainin camp

you mean Sidakov vs Bizhoev? Valiev is out, he's in Thailand. Sadulaev is in final, gonna wrestle his teammate Akhmed Tazhudinov (Bahrian) 

Edited by Radik of themat.com forums

10 hours ago, Radik of themat.com forums said:

Trainin camp

you mean Sidakov vs Bizhoev? Valiev is out, he's in Thailand. Sadulaev is in final, gonna wrestle his teammate Akhmed Tazhudinov (Bahrian) 

Chermen Valiev, not Radik, haha.  Radik looks as if he wants to start fighting in MMA

This event marketing was a little ambiguous.  At first there was a 16-man tournament in every weight category, and the winners of 74 and 97 would face Valiev/Zhabrailov in the main event on Saturday; now neither Valiev and Zhabrailov will wrestle on Saturday to determine the world team, but we will find out on August 10th.  

Now Sidakov lost, somehow, to Bizhoev...  I won't make excuses, though I think Bizhoev was lucky.  Gatsalov apparently said there will be a rematch between Sidakov-Bizhoev, Bizhoev-Valiev and now Sidakov-Valiev.  I still think Sidakov is the best at 74kg (internationally, too) and this loss will make him better, but it sucks if you're Chermen Valiev.

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, KingOtoguro said:

Chermen Valiev, not Radik, haha.  Radik looks as if he wants to start fighting in MMA

This event marketing was a little ambiguous.  At first there was a 16-man tournament in every weight category, and the winners of 74 and 97 would face Valiev/Zhabrailov in the main event on Saturday; now neither Valiev and Zhabrailov will wrestle on Saturday to determine the world team, but we will find out on August 10th.  

Now Sidakov lost, somehow, to Bizhoev...  I won't make excuses, though I think Bizhoev was lucky.  Gatsalov apparently said there will be a rematch between Sidakov-Bizhoev, Bizhoev-Valiev and now Sidakov-Valiev.  I still think Sidakov is the best at 74kg (internationally, too) and this loss will make him better, but it sucks if you're Chermen Valiev.

About Sadulaev vs. Zhabrailov yeah, they will wrestle-off for the world on August in the end of the training camp. At 74 kg we got Bizhoev/Sidakov. Was very close match. this match reminded me of Sidakov-Jb 2, and Gatsalov will give second chance to Sidakov in wrestling camp too. Anyways, i think Russia's line up is goint to look like:
57 Uguev
61 A.Magomedov
65 Mamedov
70 - 
74 Sidakov
79 Usmanov
86 Bagaev/Naifinov/Gadzhimagomedov
92 M.Kurbanov/Valiev
97 Saduliaev
125 A.Kurbanov/A.Khizriev

12 hours ago, Radik of themat.com forums said:

About Sadulaev vs. Zhabrailov yeah, they will wrestle-off for the world on August in the end of the training camp. At 74 kg we got Bizhoev/Sidakov. Was very close match. this match reminded me of Sidakov-Jb 2, and Gatsalov will give second chance to Sidakov in wrestling camp too. Anyways, i think Russia's line up is goint to look like:
57 Uguev
61 A.Magomedov
65 Mamedov
70 - 
74 Sidakov
79 Usmanov
86 Bagaev/Naifinov/Gadzhimagomedov
92 M.Kurbanov/Valiev
97 Saduliaev
125 A.Kurbanov/A.Khizriev

What about 70kg?  Won't Zherbaev go, or is he injured?  I like Shiraev, but he sadly lost to Sheriev and Zherbaev not long ago.  

I think Gatsalov doesn't want to give a shot to Bizhoev lmao.  But Sidakov vs. Salkazanov/Dake would be cool.