• Playwire Ad Area

Age group cheating: Not just for the Russians!

As I was looking at Fargo Junior brackets, I noticed an entry in juniors from an East Coast state.  The wrestler is the same age as my son, whom is going into his sophomore year at an NCAA D1 institution.  This wrestler graduated in 2022, then chose to attend an East Coast prep school for a post-graduate year.  Junior eligibility clearly says you have four years to compete in Fargo when you enter your freshman year.  The clock does not pause if you decide to go for another year of high school after you graduate.  The same wrestler placed in NHSCA, but I am not 100% sure of NHSCA eligibility rules.

Clearly USA Wrestling, isn't checking this stuff; I believe that they leave most of it to the state associations. There probably needs to be better oversight here.  Really crazy that our sport is coming to this.  Shame on the states and on the parents. Wonder how many similar situations there are this week?

• Fire 1

On 7/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

As I was looking at Fargo Junior brackets, I noticed an entry in juniors from an East Coast state.  The wrestler is the same age as my son, whom is going into his sophomore year at an NCAA D1 institution.  This wrestler graduated in 2022, then chose to attend an East Coast prep school for a post-graduate year.  Junior eligibility clearly says you have four years to compete in Fargo when you enter your freshman year.  The clock does not pause if you decide to go for another year of high school after you graduate.  The same wrestler placed in NHSCA, but I am not 100% sure of NHSCA eligibility rules.

Clearly USA Wrestling, isn't checking this stuff; I believe that they leave most of it to the state associations. There probably needs to be better oversight here.  Really crazy that our sport is coming to this.  Shame on the states and on the parents. Wonder how many similar situations there are this week?

Is the school in question Wyoming Seminary?

On 7/19/2023 at 7:59 PM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

USAW does take age into account as declared on their USAW card. Could they have lied on their card? Sure, I suppose but the registration system won't allow them to enter if they turned 19 prior to Sept 1 of 2022 (In this case).

On 7/24/2023 at 3:01 AM, gimpeltf said:

USAW does take age into account as declared on their USAW card. Could they have lied on their card? Sure, I suppose but the registration system won't allow them to enter if they turned 19 prior to Sept 1 of 2022 (In this case).

The age may have been fine, but 4 years of high school, plus a PG isn't.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Any actual proof to this?

Per

https://www.usawmembership.com/age_group_weight_chart

USA Juniors are: Born 9/1/2003 & after, plus enrolled in grades 9-12

And

USA Junior: Athletes shall be considered eligible to compete in Junior Division competitions if he/she is currently attending high school, or participating in a program considered by the State's Department of Education to be fulfilling the athlete's requirements for graduation from an accredited high school program, or if a summer event, attended high school, or participated in a program considered by the State's Department of Education to be fulfilling the athlete's requirements for graduation from an accredited high school program the Spring semester just prior to the summer event. In addition, the athlete has only four consecutive years to compete in the Junior Division once his/her class begins the ninth grade. Only wrestlers born September 1, 2003 and later who were enrolled in grades 9-12 during the 2023 spring semester are eligible. No wrestler who was enrolled in 8th grade during the 2023 spring semester will be allowed to enter. Any such wrestler who enters or competes will be penalized by forfeiting his/her eligibility in the next year's event in both styles.

10 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Per

And

USA Junior: Athletes shall be considered eligible to compete in Junior Division competitions if he/she is currently attending high school, or participating in a program considered by the State's Department of Education to be fulfilling the athlete's requirements for graduation from an accredited high school program, or if a summer event, attended high school, or participated in a program considered by the State's Department of Education to be fulfilling the athlete's requirements for graduation from an accredited high school program the Spring semester just prior to the summer event. In addition, the athlete has only four consecutive years to compete in the Junior Division once his/her class begins the ninth grade. Only wrestlers born September 1, 2003 and later who were enrolled in grades 9-12 during the 2023 spring semester are eligible. No wrestler who was enrolled in 8th grade during the 2023 spring semester will be allowed to enter. Any such wrestler who enters or competes will be penalized by forfeiting his/her eligibility in the next year's event in both styles.

I am familiar with all that.

All that has been said is 'This kid is the same age as this (proof?) and is violating rules because of this (proof?).'

No actual proof has been given.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

37 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Per

And

The bolded area was the particular issue.  The kid went 3-2 and did not place, but did beat three kids.  Not a big name kid, but capable of winning three matches in juniors.  Basically graduated the same month as Levi Haines, and possibly older.  One year after graduating high school, the kid was wrestling in Fargo.

Could also post the name so there could be some independent research done here. By your description, this individual is an adult … right?

Or have you actually contacted USAW about this or just come on the forum to vent … or do you want someone else to blow the whistle for you?

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

Could also post the name so there could be some independent research done here. By your description, this individual is an adult … right?

Or have you actually contacted USAW about this or just come on the forum to vent … or do you want someone else to blow the whistle for you?

Just venting.  Look at the date of the initial post, it was said during the tournament.  No one responded for four days.  I said my piece and thought it was done.

Just saying: 'it is a thing and should be looked for in the future."

Kid didn't place, should definitely be done at Fargo now based on age, but at least one someone got away with something.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Just venting.  Look at the date of the initial post, it was said during the tournament.  No one responded for four days.  I said my piece and thought it was done.

Just saying: 'it is a thing and should be looked for in the future."

Kid didn't place, should definitely be done at Fargo now based on age, but at least one someone got away with something.

I wasn't hitting the forum then. So were most people that could answer the question.