• Playwire Ad Area

Why some coaches even have wrestle offs?!

TexRef

I like the concept of wrestle offs or intersquad matches as "indicator matches".  Between these matches, practice performance, and competition results at opens and early duals, any head coach should be able to make an intelligent decision as to who should start.  This is what all other sports do, except for maybe track or swimming races when exact times can be compared.

I had to think through this many times so my small brain could wrap my head around what some of you are saying as I am a believer that what sets wrestling apart from team sports is that the wrestler who beats the other guys on his team at a specific weight is the starter for that weight class...period. 

I think the guy who wins should get the spot, but also understand that if a guy beats a guy more times than not in the room and then loses a close one in the "wrestle off" some decisions would need to be made in who gets the spot.  But I have to believe that it is very rare that a guy beats another guy in the room consistently, and in a "wrestle off" that they wouldn't get the starting spot.

22 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I had to think through this many times so my small brain could wrap my head around what some of you are saying as I am a believer that what sets wrestling apart from team sports is that the wrestler who beats the other guys on his team at a specific weight is the starter for that weight class...period. 

I think the guy who wins should get the spot, but also understand that if a guy beats a guy more times than not in the room and then loses a close one in the "wrestle off" some decisions would need to be made in who gets the spot.  But I have to believe that it is very rare that a guy beats another guy in the room consistently, and in a "wrestle off" that they wouldn't get the starting spot.

But what if a guy beats another guy in the room consistently but then in ~3rd match of an open tournament another guy beats a guy?  Isn't the objective to find the best guy for tournament competition cause as we all know (ref Carl & TB) ddm.  

32 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

The more advanced the wrestling. The less the in room matches/live matter to who will win actual matches

On 11/19/2022 at 5:42 AM, Nailbender said:

What is the benefit to giving the wrestler who lost the spot? I don't get it. 

Maybe if you have an underclassman narrowly beating out a fifth-year senior, but you redshirt the underclassman so as not to waste the senior's final year of eligibility.

• Fire 1