• Playwire Ad Area

Why some coaches even have wrestle offs?!

TexRef

Why would you even have a wrestle off if you don't plan on using the guy that wins? 

Over the last few years I have been hearing stories of coaches, (a few that I even knew) that wouldn't allow the winner to actually have the varsity spot at the next event. I thought that was one of the greatest things about our sport, the starting spots were not someone's opinion. You wrestle/fight for that spot! 

I know of it happening at a D1 school this season! Is this the new norm? 

1 hour ago, BaldAt23 said:

Yes it is the norm. And it is the correct decision. It is used as a data point. For example, there is no way Hepner will have more success than Kharchla. 

Agree.  I'll also suggest that Intra-Squad meets are done for the fans, and to formally mark the beginning of each season (in addition to the  data point).

• Fire 2

36 minutes ago, Mizzou Fan said:

Agree.  I'll also suggest that Intra-Squad meets are done for the fans, and to formally mark the beginning of each season (in addition to the  data point).

Yep ... it's a good public relations move. Fans want to see new recruits in action as well as what those room matches look like. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 11/16/2022 at 8:43 PM, Idaho said:

Yep ... it's a good public relations move. Fans want to see new recruits in action as well as what those room matches look like. 

Yes and it’s a good opportunity to mimic a real match.  Have the guys make weight early in the season and warm up and prepare to wrestle just like it was a dual.  

The results of wrestle offs are not completely worthless, but they pale in comparison to results against actual competition.

• Fire 2

11 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Then we need a new name.  It is NOT a wrestle off.  It is …. not sure.  Hmmmm, how about this, an Evaluation Match. 

Many coaches call them "ranking matches" but the media & fans still refer to them as "wrestle offs."

39 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Then we need a new name.  It is NOT a wrestle off.  It is …. not sure.  Hmmmm, how about this, an Evaluation Match. 

Sounds more like an office pool for who gets the best evaluation. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, Nailbender said:

What is the benefit to giving the wrestler who lost the spot? I don't get it. 

This happens more than you probably think.  A coach usually will go with the wrestler that gives the team the best shot at winning.  That doesn’t always equate to who wins in your room.  I know it sounds odd but when you wrestle guys for hours a day, every day, you get very familiar with each other and matches can become very tight.  Wrestlers evolve and learn to shut down each other’s move and the game continues each evolving learning to overcome counters to counters and so on.  Not to mention some guys just got your number and sometimes they are in the same room but overall maybe the style, competitiveness, gas tank, etc… of the guy who loses in wrestle offs will translate into more wins in regular competition.  Doesn’t me this is right, wrong, or anything else, just that it is and should be the coaches decision of what is best.

• Fire 3

8 hours ago, Wrestej said:

This happens more than you probably think.  A coach usually will go with the wrestler that gives the team the best shot at winning.  That doesn’t always equate to who wins in your room.  I know it sounds odd but when you wrestle guys for hours a day, every day, you get very familiar with each other and matches can become very tight.  Wrestlers evolve and learn to shut down each other’s move and the game continues each evolving learning to overcome counters to counters and so on.  Not to mention some guys just got your number and sometimes they are in the same room but overall maybe the style, competitiveness, gas tank, etc… of the guy who loses in wrestle offs will translate into more wins in regular competition.  Doesn’t me this is right, wrong, or anything else, just that it is and should be the coaches decision of what is best.

A lot of what you say makes a lot of sense. I definitely agree the coach knows best. I just like the idea of earning the spot. You want to be #1 you beat everybody. Makes it simple. Unfortunately life is never simple.

43 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

A lot of what you say makes a lot of sense. I definitely agree the coach knows best. I just like the idea of earning the spot. You want to be #1 you beat everybody. Makes it simple. Unfortunately life is never simple.

An even better reason to make sure it’s in writing that the coach has final say is when you need to bench kids or put out the kids doing the right thing