• Playwire Ad Area

OT (but related) NFL set to announce season-long bans for players gambling

This may prove instructive regarding Iowa's gambling situation...

"A handful of NFL players, including Indianapolis Colts cornerback and kick returner Isaiah Rodgers, are expected to receive season-long suspensions this week for violating the NFL's policy on gambling, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37928546/sources-nfl-expected-suspend-isaiah-rodgers-others-week

"Lions wide receivers Jameson Williams and Stanley Berryhill were suspended for six games each for mobile betting that occurred at the Lions' Allen Park facility."

I wonder how they know this.  Did the player's mobile device share their precise location with the betting app which then in turn shared that information with the league?  Did they share time information about when the bets were placed too?  Were these guys betting on their phones during a team meeting on the sidelines at practice?

I think part of the reason the NCAA changed the penalties for gambling is because of how accessible it is and if the gambling books are sharing their user data with the NCAA and sports leagues it makes it real easy to catch violators.  They probably expect gambling violations to be pretty common.  

40 minutes ago, fishbane said:

"Lions wide receivers Jameson Williams and Stanley Berryhill were suspended for six games each for mobile betting that occurred at the Lions' Allen Park facility."

I wonder how they know this.  Did the player's mobile device share their precise location with the betting app which then in turn shared that information with the league?  Did they share time information about when the bets were placed too?  Were these guys betting on their phones during a team meeting on the sidelines at practice?

I think part of the reason the NCAA changed the penalties for gambling is because of how accessible it is and if the gambling books are sharing their user data with the NCAA and sports leagues it makes it real easy to catch violators.  They probably expect gambling violations to be pretty common.  

All of the mobile betting apps use a service that geolocates where the bets are coming from. They have to in order to satisfy laws banning betting in certain states or locations.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 6/28/2023 at 11:49 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This may prove instructive regarding Iowa's gambling situation...

"A handful of NFL players, including Indianapolis Colts cornerback and kick returner Isaiah Rodgers, are expected to receive season-long suspensions this week for violating the NFL's policy on gambling, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37928546/sources-nfl-expected-suspend-isaiah-rodgers-others-week

What a crazy day. I learned that God has created great things like rainbows and baby bell cheese, but he also created some failures like the genocide in Darfur or the last season of 24. Hey, that rhymes. But one thing's for sure, I know now that God truly is omnipresent because his balls smell like they've been everywhere.