• Playwire Ad Area

Where would 3x Steveson rank?

It is fact that weight classes exist for a reason.

That means that this becomes a P4P discussion based on results for these gents in the specific weight classes they competed in.

This also means that Steveson being the HWT GOAT makes him the GOAT of GOATs.

Statistically in a P4P sort of 'per-weight' discussion?  He probably isn't up there.  There are some toons that absolutely rack up much better bonus point ratios at lower weights and they will always be ahead statistically.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

13 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

Honestly, and I'm no Penn State fan, judging by the eye test I think Zain was more dominant than Gable in college.  The weight classes he wrestled in are also much more competitive than heavyweight and I think that should also count for something.  Gable lost twice to Cassar who was good but Zain lost twice to Logan Steiber and you can't compare Cassar and Steiber

Weird take because heavyweights bring home the most world medals

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I would rather not bait @VakAttack into an internet brawl.

Given how everything has played out, I would have to be PRETTY unreasonable to say that Spencer had a better college career than Gable.....

Fortunately, I am exactly that amount of unreasonable.  #SPENCERGOAT

Edited by VakAttack

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Given how everything has played out, I would have to be PRETTY unreasonable to say that Spencer had a better college career than Gable.....

Fortunately, I am exactly that amount of unreasonable.  #SPENCERGOAT

What if I told you he had the seventh best career of the 3xers in the past decade? Then what?

The old school boxer's guard

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

19 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Pinfall is the preferred nomenclature here, dude.

Gable would be Top 10 for sure imo. 2 career losses to 1 person. 

1 career loss at NCAAs. 3-1-1-1

assuming he wrestles enough bouts, one of just a couple 2x Hodge winners.

this won't be looked at fondly, but i just don't gaf about the era of only three years of eligibility. 

I said good day, sir.

19 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Pinfall is the preferred nomenclature here, dude.

Gable would be Top 10 for sure imo. 2 career losses to 1 person. 

1 career loss at NCAAs. 3-1-1-1

assuming he wrestles enough bouts, one of just a couple 2x Hodge winners.

this won't be looked at fondly, but i just don't gaf about the era of only three years of eligibility. 

Dan Gable only had 1 career loss to 1 person.  He wrestled back in the day when men were men and pins were pins.  He had so many pins that the state of Iowa wouldn't had to switch entirely to soybean production to print those extra 4 redundant letters.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What if I told you he had the seventh best career of the 3xers in the past decade? Then what?

The old school boxer's guard

I'm going to need some time to divorce myself from the events to really give an unbiased opinion.  However, right now I would have to argue that Spencer techfalls you and your face and all other wrestlers' faces ever.

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I'm going to need some time to divorce myself from the events to really give an unbiased opinion.  However, right now I would have to argue that Spencer techfalls you and your face and all other wrestlers' faces ever.

Au contraire, because Spencer Lee agrees to my terms and we have the wrestling match in the deep end of the pool. Check and mate. Pin and fall.

14 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It is fact that weight classes exist for a reason.

That means that this becomes a P4P discussion based on results for these gents in the specific weight classes they competed in.

This also means that Steveson being the HWT GOAT makes him the GOAT of GOATs.

Statistically in a P4P sort of 'per-weight' discussion?  He probably isn't up there.  There are some toons that absolutely rack up much better bonus point ratios at lower weights and they will always be ahead statistically.

If you are literally looking for the “pound for pound” GOAT, it would be really tough for it to be a Heavyweight. You’d have to take all of Gable Steveson’s greatness and divide it by 285. Compare that to Spencer Lee’s greatness divided by 125 and Lee wins easily 🙂

9 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

If you are literally looking for the “pound for pound” GOAT, it would be really tough for it to be a Heavyweight. You’d have to take all of Gable Steveson’s greatness and divide it by 285. Compare that to Spencer Lee’s greatness divided by 125 and Lee wins easily 🙂

(duh)?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

What about Lee and Yianni vs Steveson.

30 minutes ago, peanut said:

Steveson is on a short list of wrestlers who won world or Olympic titles before their senior years. I think it’s only Uetake, Smith, Snyder, and Steveson.

This is a very good point.  

2 hours ago, peanut said:

Steveson is on a short list of wrestlers who won world or Olympic titles before their senior years. I think it’s only Uetake, Smith, Snyder, and Steveson.

Cejudo. He went to Grand Canyon graduating in 2015.  Even if you discount that he went to college later than usual by age he was only 21 when he won in 2008. And he graduated HS in 2006.