• Playwire Ad Area

Aaron Brooks wrestle-off

bl177

On 7/3/2023 at 3:12 PM, AgaveMaria said:

Many other sports allow more than one entrant per event. Wrestling and Boxing both should have two per weight.

I could go for this.    Track, Swimming, Gymnastics all allow multiple participants from one country for the same event.

mspart

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Everything needs to be more like swimming.

Oh. I like it. Let's add different modes of running on the track.

The 100m and 200m backwards run. The 100m and 200m skip. The 100m and 200m jumping jack. The 4x100m forwards/backwards/skipping/jumping jack medley. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Everything needs to be more like swimming.

My favorite part of triathlons is not having to deal with 40 minutes of boring swimming anymore. And that's saying something considering there is 4 hours to go!

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

The 100m and 200m backwards run. The 100m and 200m skip. The 100m and 200m jumping jack. The 4x100m forwards/backwards/skipping/jumping jack medley. 

You are aware that there are already different ways to get around the track, right? Race walking, hurdles, steeplechase?

And wrestling has already made a move in the right direction. 

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

kind of like having half a dozen ways to beat up another athlete including boxing, fencing, judo, taekwondo, and two styles of wrestling...

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

My favorite part of triathlons is not having to deal with 40 minutes of boring swimming anymore. And that's saying something considering there is 4 hours to go!

My parents stopped going to swim meets the second I got my license. So if you think you can hurt my feelings by calling swimming boring... I'm not crying. You're crying... shut up.

• Haha 2
  • Stalling 1

45 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My parents stopped going to swim meets the second I got my license. So if you think you can hurt my feelings by calling swimming boring... I'm not crying. You're crying... shut up.

My favorite sport outside of wrestling is marathons if it makes you dislike me more. I will say though, I appreciate violence of a good tri swim.

26 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

My favorite sport outside of wrestling is marathons if it makes you dislike me more. I will say though, I appreciate violence of a good tri swim.

I was in the Chicago Triathlon both years someone died during the swim. One of those years they shortened the swim to 200 meters due to high waves only after giving in to protests over the original decision to cancel the swim portion altogether. That turned out to be a big mistake as the violence and thrashing got kicked up to a whole new level. It is why they finally put an entry limit on the event.

As for my view on running. It is on my bucket list to never run a marathon. In aggregate.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

As for my view on running. It is on my bucket list to never run a marathon. In aggregate.

That's in my bucket list as well!!

I have to say this thread got off topic just a wee bit eh?

mspart

34 minutes ago, mspart said:

That's in my bucket list as well!!

I have to say this thread got off topic just a wee bit eh?

mspart

As Aaron Brooks would say, the Lord works in mysterious ways

On 7/5/2023 at 5:47 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Wait - you got a license to swim? That's cool. At least for me but seems like your parents weren't as big of fans.

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Wait - you got a license to swim? That's cool. At least for me but seems like your parents weren't as big of fans.

My parents and my family alike. A few Olympics back I found a channel that was showing the raw feed for swimming. I sat and watched the heats of the 1500 for two plus hours. Alone.

• Fire 1

On 7/1/2023 at 7:27 PM, Alces Alces Gigas said:

I might be convinced that Olympic weights should be wrestled to completion  and then wrestle the non Olympic weights.     Maybe not every year but at least the years preceding the Olympics.    

Ever since the Olympics decreased the number of weight classes down to six for freestyle, I have pointed out the insanity of having Olympic weights that coincide with weights that are wrestled the other 3 years.  It is awful for the sport as it makes the World Championships in non-Olympic years an also ran in too many weight classes and screws up the division of talent weakening the product as a whole.  If your were to put the Olympic weights between the weight classes that exist 3/4 of the time, the distribution of talent in non-Olympic years would be far more equitable.  It would also be fairer to the competitors as every one of them would have to move up or down to make the Olympic weights unlike currently where some are forced to gain or lose 12-15 lbs in order to vie for the spot.  Lastly, it would be far more representative of the bell curve of human males.  The 10 weight classes in non-Olympic years far better represent that curve. Thinking it is good business to keep certain weights intact while delegitimizing 40% of your product line 75% of the time is just plain dumb.

Edited by Ched64

I might be convinced that Olympic weights should be wrestled to completion  and then wrestle the non Olympic weights.     Maybe not every year but at least the years preceding the Olympics.    

Ever since the Olympics decreased the number of weight classes down to six for freestyle, I have pointed out the insanity of having Olympic weights that coincide with weights that are wrestled the other 3 years.  It is awful for the sport as it makes the World Championships in non-Olympic years an also ran in too many weight classes and screws up the division of talent weakening the product as a whole.  If your were to put the Olympic weights between the weight classes that exist 3/4 of the time, the distribution of talent in non-Olympic years would be far more equitable.  It would also be fairer to the competitors as every one of them would have to move up or down to make the Olympic weights unlike currently where some are forced to gain or lose 12-15 lbs in order to vie for the spot.  Lastly, it would be far more representative of the bell curve of human males.  The 10 weight classes in non-Olympic years far better represent that curve. Thinking it is good business to keep certain weights intact while delegitimizing 40% of your product line 75% of the time is just plain dumb.

Edited by Ched64
duplication…dont need three posts! Sorry

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me