• Playwire Ad Area

Russian Coup and Wrestle Consequences?

Not sure there are many virtues to Russia under Putin, but maybe reasonable support or at least tolerance of wrestling would be one?  If there is a coup, it presents some volatlity as to the Russian wrestling community.  Anyone knowledgable on these risks?  It is odd that two of the top programs for international wrestling rivalry with the U.S. are from totalitarian regimes that are (at the least) unfriendly to U.S.  I enjoyed the stories from Jason Nolf about his tripp with Kyle Snyder to Russia and how well they were treated - nice to know that the governmental tensions do not prevent friendly appreciation from top competitors.  

Interesting is anyone here has real knowledge they could share - not inviting trolls to share their idiocy.  I do not pretend to have the knowledge but recognize there may be some here that do.

It’s hard to say how this will affect the athletes, there are sooooo many variables at play. Who comes out on top, how does that affect their OC, how does that affect the IOC perspective?  Lots and lots of moving parts that are yet to be resolved.   The simplest answer could be current status, athletes will have to show they were in no way a part of or in support of this movement. 

Was just having the following conversation with my wife this morning. The everyday people like you and me in Russia, pledge allegiance to their Russian government, because they have to. They’re not happy, they know there is a better way of life out there, but they also know they have to keep shut and go about whatever it is their day lies ahead of them. 

I have experience in Russia and the most obvious takeaway I had was how programmed they are to not like us, but once that kinda broke away it’s a different story. People here who talk about how we are programmed and controlled…..really have no idea. But again, deep down the people don’t want the life they have, but that programming runs deep for centuries.