• Playwire Ad Area

Caliendo is an upgrade over Patrick Kennedy?

Just for arguments sake, I would say that the margins are pretty slim at 165 - and among those who were AA - he and Hamiti were the only two that were in high school two years ago.  It's my personal opinion that Caliendo's win over Griffith is more impressive than any win Hamiti has had yet in college.  

I keep on waiting for Hamiti to have that big jump.

Keeps not happening, though. He was 8 of 14 against top 16 opponents last year, per WS, last year. Those losses being to Carr, Monday (2x), Amine (2x), and Griffith. He just can’t break through against those top guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I keep on waiting for Hamiti to have that big jump.

Keeps not happening, though. He was 8 of 14 against top 16 opponents last year, per WS, last year. Those losses being to Carr, Monday (2x), Amine (2x), and Griffith. He just can’t break through against those top guys.

Yeah I am still a big fan of his wrestling, but I also felt like his sophomore year didn't show the kind of jump I might have expected after his impressive freshman year.  For a guy that tends to let it fly against guys he feels he can handle, he seems to have a more difficult time in strategic matches.  I think he needs both more confidence in his stuff against top guys, while also working on his in-match decision making.  

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Just for arguments sake, I would say that the margins are pretty slim at 165 - and among those who were AA - he and Hamiti were the only two that were in high school two years ago.  It's my personal opinion that Caliendo's win over Griffith is more impressive than any win Hamiti has had yet in college.  

I need to get something off my chest (besides my opponent at state).... Caliendo's run to AA was good....but I am bias, in that Matthew Olguin (sophomore)  got hurt in the first round of the tourney but kept wrestling . Lost 9-8 to Caliendo. Griffith beat Caliendo at the NCAA in their most recent match-up. Olguin beat Griffith two straight matches at the end of the season.... including the Pac-12 final. All that to say, you are correct that the margins are slim, however I am adding Olguin to that conversation for next year. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, creek chub said:

Kennedy will likely transfer out. The hawks just spent mucho $ on Caliendo. VT would be a good place for Kennedy. 

Except for I think he still has to spend this year at Iowa since he's not a grad and the portal is closed (insert jokes and gifs.here). 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Except for I think he still has to spend this year at Iowa since he's not a grad and the portal is closed (insert jokes and gifs.here). 

There is another window for the portal in the fall, I thought?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

31 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

There is another window for the portal in the fall, I thought?

I believe Fall windows are for Spring sports and Spring windows are for Winter sports.  I only see the one window for Wrestling from March 9-May 7 with the exception being grad students.... When the "Burwick Incident" occurred he had to wait until clearance which didn't come until February I believe. 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Patrick Kennedy ain’t leaving Iowa. He’s been a Hawkeye since he could walk. They’ll make the lineup work.

It may end up being a non-issue with either gambling suspensions or weight bumps (make it work like you said). 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

I believe Fall windows are for Spring sports and Spring windows are for Winter sports.  I only see the one window for Wrestling from March 9-May 7 with the exception being grad students.... When the "Burwick Incident" occurred he had to wait until clearance which didn't come until February I believe. 

That's right, but to add further clarification, the "transfer windows" are just the start and end dates when athletes can have their name submitted into the portal. They enter the portal on the last day of the window and then transfer after that. Kennedy probably didn't have his name in the portal, so he'll have to wait until after the 2024 season to transfer.

24 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

That's right, but to add further clarification, the "transfer windows" are just the start and end dates when athletes can have their name submitted into the portal. They enter the portal on the last day of the window and then transfer after that. Kennedy probably didn't have his name in the portal, so he'll have to wait until after the 2024 season to transfer.

With the huge asterisk of *Without Pentalty* yeah?

Meaning if he enters the portal now he likely has to sit this next season.

He stays... he possibly has to sit this next season.

In only one of those scenarios is he 'allegedly' in a position where he does not want to be in.  Per Jeffey Dee Lee, that is.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

26 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

With the huge asterisk of *Without Pentalty* yeah?

Meaning if he enters the portal now he likely has to sit this next season.

He stays... he possibly has to sit this next season.

In only one of those scenarios is he 'allegedly' in a position where he does not want to be in.  Per Jeffey Dee Lee, that is.

Yeah. PK can't get his name into the transfer portal since the deadline has passed. He'll have to wait until 2024 or lose a year of eligibility if he transfers. Also if PK's name was in the portal before the deadline, he risks Iowa/Brands reducing or revoking his scholarship if he ends up staying. 

9 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I didn't think this reasoning was allowed to pull a kids scholly? 

Pretty sure Brands can reduce for any reason he wants, its been the wild wild west for some time know. 

2 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Yep - he wasn't in the portal so he will have to wait until March of next year.... one drawback of the portal is that coaches can go out and get guys after the portal closes (Caliendo) and the guys who are getting recruited/signed over, are out of luck and have to stay....Gives coaches an upper hand ... i.e. The Burwick Effect.   

24 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I didn't think this reasoning was allowed to pull a kids scholly? 

When a kid goes in the portal the school can recind scholarship offers for the next semester or year. It doesn't mean they will, but they can. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Fire 1