• Playwire Ad Area

How long do Brands and Sanderson keep at it?

15 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Gable took over for Gary Kurdelmeier who had Iowa heading in the right direction. Never before had Iowa won an NCAA Title. Gary recruited Dan Gable and after four years and two NCAA tltles he turned the program over to him.  https://hawkfanatic.com/2020/07/13/gary-kurdelmeiers-vision-and-unselfishness-helped-build-the-iowa-wrestling-dynasty/

Gable retired from Coaching and has said many times the reason was he could no longer roll on the mat with his wrestlers. Hip & knees - not being able to keep wrestling with his athletes was why he left.

Cael is every bit as good as a coach but a very different personality. Might be a good clue as to whether he will keep on for another decade or more.

You didn't see many coaches post-50 years old back in the 90's.  A lot of that was based on what you said about Gable.  There was belief it you couldn't get out on the mat anymore it was time to go.  It is my understanding that Gable wrestled with his guys, mind you the top guys in the nation, well into his 40's. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Nobody was seriously questioning Cael in 2005 lol. You're right though, time to move on.

I think a few people questioned it on MySpace.... time will tell. Will be interesting to see what happens to the group of guys now in terms of coaching... Taylor, Burroughs, Gilman, Dake, Snyder, Cox, Yanni, Lee...etc. 

As a throwback in terms of coaching.... the 1995 group that won the world championships were Rob Eiter, Zeke Jones, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Townsend Saunders, Dave Schultz, Kevin Jackson, Melvin Douglas, Kurt Angle, Bruce Baumgartner. Some of these guys have gone on to pretty good coaching careers. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

36 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I think a few people questioned it on MySpace.... time will tell. Will be interesting to see what happens to the group of guys now in terms of coaching... Taylor, Burroughs, Gilman, Dake, Snyder, Cox, Yanni, Lee...etc

I know things change but hasn't Burroughs been on record that he has no interest in coaching?  Out of that group I can see Taylor and Snyder having success.  It's hard to wrap my head around the idea of Dake being coach.  He'll be a teenager by the time his first recruiting class graduates.  As for the next "great coach" is it a foregone conclusion that he'll have to be an Iowa State grad

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I know things change but hasn't Burroughs been on record that he has no interest in coaching?  Out of that group I can see Taylor and Snyder having success.  It's hard to wrap my head around the idea of Dake being coach.  He'll be a teenager by the time his first recruiting class graduates.  As for the next "great coach" is it a foregone conclusion that he'll have to be an Iowa State grad

Yep I agree... some of those guys will make way more with a wrestling academy, training MMA guys  and other related business ventures without the headaches that come with college wrestling. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐