• Playwire Ad Area

Cursing on podcasts

Dark Energy

Listening to Mattalk podcast about final X.  Looking to try more podcasts, hear more voices.  

Plenty of F bombs.  Even a ‘suck a d-ck’  and the word is not duck.

hmmm.  Ok.

Few weeks back listened to a Bloodround podcast.  Woah.  Cursing / Fbombs the norm.  Guy even talking about railing his wife in the shower.  Both eating it up.  How old are they?  40 I think.  This combined with no actual critical analysis or insights .. dropped that podcast from the list.

Guess I’m old.  Expect some degree of professionalism.  Curse here and there, I get it.  Trying to make it a convo.  But using F Bombs like it is a preferred word … nah.  

• Fire 1

Bloodround is definitely explicit for sure, and have some not so politically correct convos.  

I recently stumbled across these guys on YouTube who aren’t bad, can’t remember the amount of cursing:

Cayden Henschel’s new podcast (mostly interviews) isn’t bad either 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Listening to Mattalk podcast about final X.  Looking to try more podcasts, hear more voices.  

hmmm.  Ok.

Few weeks back listened to a Bloodround podcast.  Woah.  Cursing / Fbombs the norm.  Guy even talking about railing his wife in the shower.  Both eating it up.  How old are they?  40 I think.  This combined with no actual critical analysis or insights .. dropped that podcast from the list.

Guess I’m old.  Expect some degree of professionalism.  Curse here and there, I get it.  Trying to make it a convo.  But using F Bombs like it is a preferred word … nah.  

I hear you on this one, but it’s also a fine line because we need to keep this line of earnest discourse alive, otherwise everything becomes sterile tap dancing innuendo and sideways mentions of internet rumors like the Flo podcast is now.  Unspoken innuendo and raised eyebrows is the most disgusting version of discussion and reporting, and as off-putting as foul language may be, especially if you are trying to listen with younger wrestlers, frank conversation is at an increasing premium everywhere.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I hear you on this one, but it’s also a fine line because we need to keep this line of earnest discourse alive, otherwise everything becomes sterile tap dancing innuendo and sideways mentions of internet rumors like the Flo podcast is now.  Unspoken innuendo and raised eyebrows is the most disgusting version of discussion and reporting, and as off-putting as foul language may be, especially if you are trying to listen with younger wrestlers, frank conversation is at an increasing premium everywhere.

Well said.  I get the occasional. I’m not a prude.  But when it seems to be added as part of the entertainment … that’s where I feel it is kinda trashy.

I wouldn't consider Tommy and Kevin "trashy" but more like the conversation about wrestling you'll hear at a bar. They have plenty of good interviews, but their banter between the two of them isn't always kid-friendly. This is why the show is labeled explicit and the show notes have a disclaimer in them. It's not a show style I've typically previously included in the network, but with more and more teams doing their own thing, I'm connecting with my friend group to see if there's a benefit to having them included in my network. I may have to add a specific audio disclaimer before their show when it's within my network feed, but if there's other instances you've found on the Mat Talk Podcast Network, I can clearly address those issues @Dark Energy

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

Cursing can become distracting and seem low brow.  Can go too far.

When they start talking about having sex with wife in shower and something about their kid interrupting / seeing them … raunchy coverage - definitely too far in my book.  

@Jason Bryant - I’ll be exploring!  I’m sure 95% are all good, doubt I will have much to say besides ‘Thank you’

6 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

When they start talking about having sex with wife in shower and something about their kid interrupting / seeing them … raunchy coverage - definitely too far in my book.  

@Jason Bryant - I’ll be exploring!  I’m sure 95% are all good, doubt I will have much to say besides ‘Thank you’

The example you cited above is not about cursing, but about oversharing and lack of appropriate discretion. Similar to you, I find oversharing to be a social faux pas and unappetizing.  

A well placed F bomb on the other hand, can add just the right emphasis to an impassioned statement. 

15 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

There was one episode where they were talking about J’Den Cox being married to Whitney Conder.  I forget exactly what they said now but definitely a little cringey.

I do enjoy their wrestling talk though.

The shower incident was also in their "parent corner" which is at the very end of their show. You endured quite a bit to get to even get to that point. I'm going to keep them on the trial run, although I know it doesn't typically fit with the type of shows I have on the network. I'll come up with a pre-loaded disclaimer on the network for them moving forward. 

Insert catchy tagline here. 

Look for my book, Cursing on Podcasts and 30 Other Ways to Piss Off Old People on Amazon. Use promo code "**** off!" and get 20-*******-% off your purchase. 

Personally, I don't do it, but sometimes it's okay for comedy or emphasis. I had one person who I interviewed curse, a very mild one, though, maybe a Cadet-level curse, and I can't even remember if I left it in or not. It was the one you say in front of your parents at age 12 to get a reaction.

If I ever tried to live blog an ILLINOIS dual, that would be different. Just thinking about it has me imagining what I'd say about Patrick McKee. Some of the most vile epitaphs you can wrap your mind around, and I don't even know the fellow. Rivalries kind of get me going. I guess what I'm saying is time and place. 

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Look for my book, Cursing on Podcasts and 30 Other Ways to Piss Off Old People on Amazon. Use promo code "**** off!" and get 20-*******-% off your purchase. 

Personally, I don't do it, but sometimes it's okay for comedy or emphasis. I had one person who I interviewed curse, a very mild one, though, maybe a Cadet-level curse, and I can't even remember if I left it in or not. It was the one you say in front of your parents at age 12 to get a reaction.

If I ever tried to live blog an ILLINOIS dual, that would be different. Just thinking about it has me imagining what I'd say about Patrick McKee. Some of the most vile epitaphs you can wrap your mind around, and I don't even know the fellow. Rivalries kind of get me going. I guess what I'm saying is time and place. 

I dont get it.  If doing a semi prepared pod cast what is there to get so excited about to find it necessary?  I mean sure if you are sitting on your back patio enjoying morning coffee and  newspaper and a python slitthers out of the side yard and swallows your pet Maltese whole then sure but otherwise ...

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, ionel said:

I dont get it.  If doing a semi prepared pod cast what is there to get so excited about to find it necessary?  I mean sure if you are sitting on your back patio enjoying morning coffee and  newspaper and a python slitthers out of the side yard and swallows your pet Maltese whole then sure but otherwise ...

This is oddly specific... 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ionel said:

Well ... I heard @ILLINIWrestlingBlog still enjoys morning newspaper with coffee and his Maltese at his side ... and yes there are pythons lurking just past his side yard .. but sure .. ask him.  😉

This is a great example of time and place. In fact, you'd hear the whole spectrum of curse words in sequence:

CURSE WORDS OF SURPRISE: "WTF!"

CURSE WORDS OF ANGER: "You Mother******!"

CURSE WORDS OF TRIUMPH: "Take that, you ********** piece of **** ******* snake think you ******* gonna eat my ***-**** dog?"

• Clown 1

8 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

This is a great example of time and place. In fact, you'd hear the whole spectrum of curse words in sequence:

CURSE WORDS OF SURPRISE: "WTF!"

CURSE WORDS OF ANGER: "You Mother******!"

CURSE WORDS OF TRIUMPH: "Take that, you ********** piece of **** ******* snake think you ******* gonna eat my ***-**** dog?"

I read that last line fluently.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 6/16/2023 at 3:02 PM, Dark Energy said:

hmmm.  Ok.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ionel said:

Well ... I heard @ILLINIWrestlingBlog still enjoys morning newspaper with coffee and his Maltese at his side ... and yes there are pythons lurking just past his side yard .. but sure .. ask him.  😉

What are these papers you speak of that have news on them?  Are they some type of new invention these quick witted Gen Z folks came up with. We used to only get out news via social media and streaming TV.  Oh it would be glorious to have a new media format.   What will this young generation think of next.  

• Fire 1