• Playwire Ad Area

Lift in freestyle

Watching older matches in Greco I saw years of Karelin lifting guys off the mat and throwing them over for back points.

Why isn't anyone in freestyle able to do this?

Was Karelin that much stronger than everyone else? Some freak of technique only he could do?

Leg lace & gut wrenches are fine but a showy throw like Karelin did would put fear into many opponents mind with a wrestler who could nail them this way.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

With Greco emphasizing holds above the waist, opponents can't use their legs other than to shift them around as a counter balance in "trying" to thwart the throw.

Other than having "velcro" hips to the mat, the thrower if successfully lifting his opponents up  will seek to nab that hi-amplitude throw for 4/5pts.

Freestylers chance at that at all, usually  will hit that in a transition for nabbing a TD.

The use of legs kind of makes those throws a bit more challenging.

Does that help things for you?

D3

20+ years ago in Fargo, a Russian national named Khetag Pliev represented OH.  He was able to hit a number of reverse lifts in freestyle against good high schoolers.  I would say that he hit one almost every match.  Beat Kish in the finals, but no lift.

I believe he later went on to represent Canada internationally.

More recently he lost a finger in an MMA fight.

• Fire 1

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

20+ years ago in Fargo, a Russian national named Khetag Pliev represented OH.  He was able to hit a number of reverse lifts in freestyle against good high schoolers.  I would say that he hit one almost every match.  Beat Kish in the finals, but no lift.

I believe he later went on to represent Canada internationally.

More recently he lost a finger in an MMA fight.

Holy shit.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31180731/khetag-pliev-suffers-severed-finger-match-undergoes-emergency-surgery

Edited by DJT
  • Fire 1
  • Clown 3

49 minutes ago, mspart said:

When trying for a reverse lift in FS, the bottom guy can grab legs, ankles, knees, or anything else to keep the top man from getting to his feet.   GR, not so much.

mspart

Sure you can in Greco. I remember Trent Paulson was going to launch me in a reverse lift off a par terre start at Northern Plains, and I was just like, “Nope.. not today,” reached back and scooped his legs up. I think it cost me something like 3 and caution 2, but I didn’t get posterized. I laughed. The ref laughed. Paulson was probably annoyed.

Edited by DJT

18 hours ago, DJT said:

Sure you can in Greco. I remember Trent Paulson was going to launch me in a reverse lift off a par terre start at Northern Plains, and I was just like, “Nope.. not today,” reached back and scooped his legs up. I think it cost me something like 3 and caution 2, but I didn’t get posterized. I laughed. The ref laughed. Paulson was probably annoyed.

Of course Paulson probably was annoyed... because  he didn't get to "posterized" you.  😌

( 🤩Please take a picture... quickly now! )

D3

On 6/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, DJT said:

True, you can grab legs in GR.   Just don't let the ref see you.   That's a funny story DJT.   There are many that faced Karelin that rolled over for the pin or otherwise prevented getting launched.  He was scary. 

mspart

On 6/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, DJT said:

Jeeesus. Some dudes are built different...and to me that's most Wrestlers. The work, the running, all the shit that goes into it.

And then SOME are built different-different!

The first time I had a finger at a 90 degree angle I whimpered. After a while...well, I still whimpered like a beat dog, but it'd got back in easily enough.

If I looked down and that finger wasn't there? Yeah...I'd be...not calm!

8 hours ago, mspart said:

True, you can grab legs in GR.   Just don't let the ref see you.   That's a funny story DJT.   There are many that faced Karelin that rolled over for the pin or otherwise prevented getting launched.  He was scary. 

mspart

Exactly. I mean, a big part of it is those lifts are hard and you don't get all that much time in par terre, but it's also just not easy in Greco to get a guy loaded and off the mat. If you can get to that point, you can usually hit the throw...but if a guy is just reaching back and hooking your leg, it's damn near impossible to step in and throw a guy.

Karelin...was just a machine. Even if the legend is SLIGHTLY embellished, he was the most intimidating Wrestler ever. 

I don't think he lifted a ton(at least not as often as you'd expect). Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought he had his own training and part of it was he'd go for runs in the mountains with those big old wooden like 34 inch snow shoes in 4-5 deep snow. Because running is easy...gotta make it a challenge!

And then he'd do those zercher deadlifts. The rumor is that he'd do reps at 500 pounds, 3 sets, 12-15 reps and to failure on the final rep. I'm skeptical he was doing 15 at 500, but I suppose if anyone would, it'd be him...

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Exactly. I mean, a big part of it is those lifts are hard and you don't get all that much time in par terre, but it's also just not easy in Greco to get a guy loaded and off the mat. If you can get to that point, you can usually hit the throw...but if a guy is just reaching back and hooking your leg, it's damn near impossible to step in and throw a guy.

Karelin...was just a machine. Even if the legend is SLIGHTLY embellished, he was the most intimidating Wrestler ever. 

I don't think he lifted a ton(at least not as often as you'd expect). Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought he had his own training and part of it was he'd go for runs in the mountains with those big old wooden like 34 inch snow shoes in 4-5 deep snow. Because running is easy...gotta make it a challenge!

And then he'd do those zercher deadlifts. The rumor is that he'd do reps at 500 pounds, 3 sets, 12-15 reps and to failure on the final rep. I'm skeptical he was doing 15 at 500, but I suppose if anyone would, it'd be him...

^^^Well, this from Karelin... that certainly sounds LEGENDARY, for sure.

D3

On 6/24/2023 at 6:47 AM, D3 for LU said:

^^^Well, this from Karelin... that certainly sounds LEGENDARY, for sure.

D3

I mean...it's likely as true as the X number of years unscored upon, but if any Wrestler was doing it, it was probably him(especially at that time with the Soviets...though I guess "that time," really never ended).

WHATEVER the case, whatever he actually could squat, this is a man with BAD intentions. 

His calf muscles have muscles. 

Alexander karelin hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

• Fire 2