• Playwire Ad Area

Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

When I smoke a chuck roast I usually do two and freeze the second one to reheat for quick dinners. I freeze the extra pulled pork to reheat later as well. Anyway, it’s turns out just as good the second time as it does the first. 

IMG_4792.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yes sir. It’s delicious. It’s a real toss up between chuck and brisket for me. 

dang. i never knew.

i don't think i made it abundantly clear when i started this thread that i don't know crap about smoking things.

i just want to. and i thoroughly enjoy cooking. so i wanted pics and tips and to start a conversation. 

TBD

Just now, Husker_Du said:

dang. i never knew.

i don't think i made it abundantly clear when i started this thread that i don't know crap about smoking things.

i just want to. and i thoroughly enjoy cooking. so i wanted pics and tips and to start a conversation. 

I cook it like a brisket. Low and slow and take the internal temp up to 204

6 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I’ve have been requested for shredded chicken tomorrow. I’ve never done beer can chicken. Figured perfect opportunity to explore. Any of our wrestling brethren have experience to share, before I go searching those other humans?? 

I did experiment with beer can chicken quite a few times. It seemed pretty decent, that was right about the time I bought the pellet grill. Doing the chicken challenge, and then expanding to spatchcocked chicken (as headshuck mentioned earlier) and competition chicken thighs - I've never looked back.

Both the beer can chicken holder and the chicken wing holder are collecting dust in my garage closet. Along with more grilling accessories than I'd care to admit.

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I did experiment with beer can chicken quite a few times. It seemed pretty decent, that was right about the time I bought the pellet grill. Doing the chicken challenge, and then expanding to spatchcocked chicken (as headshuck mentioned earlier) and competition chicken thighs - I've never looked back.

Both the beer can chicken holder and the chicken wing holder are collecting dust in my garage closet. Along with more grilling accessories than I'd care to admit.

It’s hard to beat a good brine and spatchcock. No real reason to cook chicken any other way. 

12 hours ago, ionel said:

... and evidently so is @Idaho

Potatoes are a naturally gluten-free starchy vegetable. The only ingredient in a potato is, well, potato.

maybe they are cousins.  🤷‍♀️

Served in so many ways .... mashed, scalloped, fries, baked, fried up with onions... and they go perfectly with anything meat you want to smoke. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

15 hours ago, headshuck said:

My wife is gluten free so I’m not allowed to try that, but my brother in law is a big believer.

I have a wheat restricted diet too. What is it about chicken that she couldn't eat? I eat it often. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

12 hours ago, Gus said:

Yes sir. It’s delicious. It’s a real toss up between chuck and brisket for me. 

I have a nephew that smokes everything.  Burgers,  all steaks,  etc.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

I have a wheat restricted diet too. What is it about chicken that she couldn't eat? I eat it often. 

The beer in the beer can chicken. On that note, breweries love to dump their beer in all their meat dishes spoiling it for her, and ultimately ME when we go somewhere else for lunch.

8 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Beer

I only have wheat restriction,  so I guess gluten could include other things (yeast, grains), but I drink too much of the stuff and everything I drink is wheat free.

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

dang. i never knew.

One like this would get you started for little investment and this style is virtually impossible to fail.  Keep the fire going, water in the pan, and an accurate thermometer. 

image.thumb.jpeg.40c8ca484657bb175464c29737b01069.jpeg

13 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Chuck roast is a great piece of meat for the smoker…agree with all Gus said. 

Some folks like poor man’s burnt endz just as much if not more than the original. 

Poor man’s burnt ends always turn out great for me. My father in law is a cattle rancher and we have basically unlimited beef and they get a lot roasts made so we end up eating a lot of smoked chuck roasts and poor man’s burnt ends. The family enjoys the classic pot roast still but it leaves a little to be desired for me after eating the delicious smoked chuck roasts. 

40 minutes ago, Gus said:

Poor man’s burnt ends always turn out great for me. My father in law is a cattle rancher and we have basically unlimited beef and they get a lot roasts made so we end up eating a lot of smoked chuck roasts and poor man’s burnt ends. The family enjoys the classic pot roast still but it leaves a little to be desired for me after eating the delicious smoked chuck roasts. 

You've sold me on trying one.  Do you put any real rub on that? I'd guess just salt and pepper would do it.

6 minutes ago, Gus said:

I use Holy Cow from Meat Church for my beef products

Last questions.  Smoke at 225? How long do they usually take?

My Traeger seems to take double the time at 225, which is maddening, but I hold firm to low and slow.