• Playwire Ad Area

Meiji Cup All Japan next week

CA_Wrestler

The biggest note to remember--- *Anybody who places top 3 at the 2023 Senior World championships at an Olympic weight is guaranteed that spot for the 2024 Olympics in Paris*  This is why we'll see a new/newer face at practically ALL of the non-Olympic weights for this year's Senior World Championships.  These spots will be filled in mostly by wrestlers from their junior to possibly cadet teams.

50 kg-It'll come down again to Susaki and Yoshimoto and I see Susaki being favored.  When they met in the finals of the Emperor's Cup last December, Susaki dominated with an 8-0 victory and was yet again the Outstanding Wrestler in the entire tournament going unscored on.

53kg- The most anticipated matchups are in this weight class.  It'll come down to Fujinami, Okuno and Shidochi yet again.  Moe Kiyooka dropped back down to 53 from 55 to challenge, but she's a clear 4th in this weight class.  Okuno beat Shidochi for the first time last December before losing to Fujinami in the finals, 5-0.  Fujinami is the definite favorite here.

Quick note.  For people that don't know, in Japan as a female wrestler, they almost always stay with their college club after graduating.  Both Shidochi and Okuno left after graduating as they were both college teammates.  After Okuno lost a playoff against Shidochi for the Tokyo Olympic spot, she joined the Military(Self Defense Forces).  Shidochi has been without a true place to train(she trains sometimes with Susaki as they went to the same high school), so she has been traveling around and this year and was in Wisconsin earlier in the year to practice and.....she was over at Sunkist for a week practicing with the womens team at ASU last month as she's been a friend of Helen's for a while now and has worked Helen's girls wrestling camps.

55kg- There will be a new senior team member here.  Most likely Rino Kataoka(21).  She was 3rd at this year's Asian Championships at 55kg.  Within Japan, she's around 4th team.

57kg- Risako has dropped back down to 57kg from 59kg.  Sae Nanjo(College club teamamte of Risako), Tsugumi Sakurai and Sara Natami(College club teamamte of Risako).  This weight will be too hard to predict a winner.  Natami is the clear #4 here, but any of the other 3 can win.  It'll be interesting to see if Risako is back into wrestling shape yet.  She's definitely not back into Olympic champion shape.  Both her and her sister left their college club last year and are currently training at a different University club.

59kg- Yuki Sakano will most likely win this spot since Risako has vacated it for the time being. *IF* Risako loses in the 57kg tournament, she can still challenge Sakano since she won this weight last December.

62kg- It'll come down to Sakura Motoki and Nonoka Ozaki.  Motoki bumped up from 59kg to 62kg last December and took out Yukako Kawai, 9-2 in the semis AND barely got by Ozaki in the finals, 4-2.  Ozaki had a td, but wasn't able to secure it right at the buzzer.  I think Ozaki takes this one.  If that happens, there will be a playoff match to determine the rep at a later date.

65kg- Mahiro Yoshitake '22 U20 WC, '23 Zagreb Open winner will most likely take this spot.  She isn't entering at 62 or 68.

68kg- The biggest surprise weeks ago is that Yukako Kawai bumped up to 68kg.  She did have a back injury last December, but she probably knows she can't beat both Motoki and Ozaki at 62 in the same night.  Ami Ishii '22 World silver will probably take this spot with other contenders, Morikawa '22 65kg WC, Rin Miyaji '21 68kg Silver and Masako Furuichi '22 72kg WC.  Ishii is the favorite.  

72kg- Sumire Niikura  '22 U 20/U23 Bronze is the favorite.

76kg- Even though Ayano Moro won last December at 17 years old, the then World #3 at the time, Yuga Kagami had to default out of the tournament after winning one match due to a torn pec muscle she had a week earlier in practice.  Moro is just way too young and not nearly strong enough to deal with senior level women on the international stage.  Kagami is the clear favorite here.

50kg- Susaki

53kg- Fujinami

55kg- Kataoka

57kg- ?

59kg- Risako/Sakano

62kg- Ozaki

65kg- Yoshitake

68kg- Ishii

72kg- Niikura

76kg- Kagami

• Fire 1

I totally forgot one thing for 55kg for some reason.  I forgot that last December, Kiyooka won 55kg.  So, the same thing as Risako at 57.  If Kiyooka loses at 53(which is very likely), she can still challenge for the 55kg spot.  Kiyooka beat Kataoka in last December's finals, 2-0.  I still think if Kiyooka challenged that she would win, so...

50kg- Susaki

53kg- Fujinami

55kg- Kiyooka

57kg- ?

59kg- Risako/Sakano

62kg- Ozaki

65kg- Yoshitake

68kg- Ishii

72kg- Niikura

76kg- Kagami

Morning update.  1st day of the Meiji Cup, greco and womens wrestling.

62kg- Not a huge shocker because their previous matches were decided by 1 or 2 points, Inagaki beats Ozaki 6-6 on criteria in the 2nd round.  Motoki completely dominates with 2 pins and is in the finals against Inagaki.  We'll only be seeing Ozaki at U23 and U23 now for Japan for 2 years unless something crazy happens in Serbia this year to Motoki.

68kg- Round robin going on in this weight, but in group A-Ishii beats Furuichi on criteria, 2-2.  Also beat Matsuyuki, 8-2.

in group B, Yukako Kawai won all 3 of her matches, including beating Miwa Morikawa 4-4 on criteria.

It'll be Ishii vs Kawai in the finals.

55kg- Kataoka(21) beats Natami(19) in the finals, 4-2.  Natami was the 2022 U20 WC and the 2019 U17 WC.

65kg- Yoshitake won 7-0 in the finals.  She was the 2022 U20 WC at 65kg.  She was also 1st at the Zagreb Open this year.

72kg-  Shindo beat Niikura,  4-3 in the finals and there will be yet another new rep here.  Shindo was 3rd at the U23 World Championships in 2019.

Fujinami just beat Shidochi by pin.  The score was 7-2 at the time of the pin.

Fujinami got a single to make it 2-0.  Funjinami shot and got in on a leg, went for a turn, but Shidochi used momentum and turned Fujinami to make it 2-2, but Fujinami regained control, 3-2.  After the break, Fujinami got in on another single to make it 5-2, then was going for a lace, but stood up and walked over shidochi to try and get a pin.  Shidochi was bridging for a really long time, but Fujinami was just too good and finally secured the pin.

Both looked amazingly sharp, but Fujinami was just faster and just a little sharper.

Amazing.

• Fire 1

Mens

57kg- Rei Higuchi is in the finals

65kg is tomorrow with Otoguro competing.

Womens

53kg- Okuno vs Kiyooka.  Early in the match, Okuno goes for a single and slips a little, Kiyooka capitalized and got the td.  Okuno hit a really nice low single later on to make it 2-2.  Late in the match, Kiyooka got a td right on the edge to win, 4-2.  After Fujinami pinned Shidochi, she pinned again in the 2nd round when she was up 2-1.  Fujinami vs Kiyooka in the finals.

59kg- Nagamoto(2017 WC) beats Sakano in the semis and beats Tokuhara in the finals, 6-3.  Nagamoto was the 2017 cadet world silver.  If Risako loses tomorrow, she can challenge for this spot.

62kg finals- Motoki vs Inagaki.  Motoki scores first with a nice single and turn, 4-0.  No other scores during the first period.  With about a minute left, Motoki gets a feet to back, 8-0.  Motoki the 62kg rep.

68kg- I was confused as to what was going on because I had incorrectly thought it was Kawai vs Ishii in the finals, but they did another round robin for the top 4 from yesterday.  I will say, Furuichi looked really, really good down at 68kg.  Ishii barely hung on against Furuichi, 5-3.  Furuichi almost had a td right at the buzzer.

Morikawa vs Ishii-  Morikawa gets a 4 early, Ishii battles back, but it had a wild finish with Morikawa going for a single at the edge, both getting into a scramble position, Morikawa is able to stand up, holding Ishii's legs and turns Ishii to get exposure points.

Kawai vs Furuichi- Kawai just edges out Furuichi by 3 right at the end of the match.  Furuichi just about had a td right at the buzzer that would have given her the win, but Kawai slips out and goes behind.

FINALS: Morikawa vs Kawai- Morikawa gets a td, then a pushout to make it 3-0.  The rest of the second period, neither could get in clean, Morikawa wins, 3-0 and is the 68kg rep.

76kg- Kagami is 2-0 and it looks like she'll be the rep but you never know.  Round robin here, too.

• Fire 2

58 minutes ago, tgrass21 said:

Thanks for the info.  I watched a little bit last night.  Great match between Fujinami and Shidochi even though it ended up with a pin.  

Yep.  Both of them looked really, really good.  There can only be one winner though.

• Fire 1

50kg- Susaki vs Yoshimoto tonight in the finals.  Both look dominant

53kg- Kiyooka couldn't get in on Fujinami's legs at all and Fujinami dominates, 10-0.  Kiyooka can still challenge for the 55kg spot.  Shidochi and Okuno place 3rd.

57kg- Tsugumi Sakurai made Risako look half a step slow with a few takedowns and lace.  She techs Riasko 11-1 in the semis and it'll be Nanjo vs Sakurai yet again.  This will be the 3rd consecutive national tournament finals between these two with each having split the first two matches.  Risako can still challenge for the 59kg spot.

76kg- 2022 World bronze Kagami has a tough match against teenager Moro and wins 2-1 to become the rep at 76kg.

Mens- 65kg Otoguro squeaks by in both of his matches, 2-0 and 3-2.  He'll be in tonight's final.

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

50kg- Susaki vs Yoshimoto tonight in the finals.  Both look dominant

53kg- Kiyooka couldn't get in on Fujinami's legs at all and Fujinami dominates, 10-0.  Kiyooka can still challenge for the 55kg spot.  Shidochi and Okuno place 3rd.

57kg- Tsugumi Sakurai made Risako look half a step slow with a few takedowns and lace.  She techs Riasko 11-1 in the semis and it'll be Nanjo vs Sakurai yet again.  This will be the 3rd consecutive national tournament finals between these two with each having split the first two matches.  Risako can still challenge for the 59kg spot.

76kg- 2022 World bronze Kagami has a tough match against teenager Moro and wins 2-1 to become the rep at 76kg.

Mens- 65kg Otoguro squeaks by in both of his matches, 2-0 and 3-2.  He'll be in tonight's final.

Forgot that Moro and Kagami will have a playoff match in a few weeks.  I don't see Kagami losing.

8 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Forgot that Moro and Kagami will have a playoff match in a few weeks.  I don't see Kagami losing.

Also forgot that Morikawa and Ishii are set for a playoff match as well.  Been staying up all night watching, I'll be glad when it's over tonight/tomorrow morning

7 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Sorry, but a random guy with 1 post asking for things doesn't get that kind of info.

That's unfortunate to hear. I expected as a newer member of this thread/forum that I'd be welcomed a bit better...

I am just a fan of the sport as much as anyone else here and just wanted info as to where to find the site or organization that would stream the Meiji Cup. I guess I'll continue to struggle and look for it myself.  

50kg- Susaki and Yoshimoto have a very close match.  It was 1-1 going into the break, both scores on activity points.  Both came out for the second period with a ton of movement, fakes, feints to look for openings.  Yoshimoto kept trying to secure a 2 on 1 to look to score and Susaki was trying to control Yoshimoto's head.  Toward the end of the match with 20 seconds left, they were hand fighting and Yoshimoto dropped down and got in in an ankle pick.  I thought she was going to finish the takedown, but Susaki threw was threatening with a crotch lift.  Yoshimoto's arm was under Susaki's leg and she would have got around and scored if Susaki's hands unlocked.  With around 7 seconds left, Susaki lifted Yoshimoto, but Yoshimoto had to hands gripped on Susaki's leg, they both go over and are stuck because both are trying to get top position for control, but Susaki swings her leg over and spins around Yoshimoto for 2.  The score was 4-1, but Yoshimoto's corner challenges.  The judges give Yoshimoto 2, but Susaki also gets 2 and the final score is 4-3.  Susaki wins the spot outright as she beat Yoshimoto in the finals last December, 8-0.  I still think Yoshimoto is the second best 50kg womens wrestler in the world.

57kg- Nanjo vs Sakurai.  Both looking for scoring opportunities with Sakurai looking mostly to get a 2 on 1 and Nanjo looking for singles or underhooks.  With a little less than 4 minutes, Sakurai is able to score, 2-0.  With a little less than 3:30 left, Nanjo scores on a misdirection single, 2-2.  Second period has a lot of activity, both working a lot to try and score.  Sakurai keeps trying to secure a 2 on 1.  Around 35 seconds and some hand fighting, Sakurai is able to get and overhook on Nanjo's head and Sakurai brhings her down to the mat.  Both on their knees now.  Sakurai then shoots and gets in on a leg with 27 seconds, Nanjo throws a whizzer in.  Nanjo also grabs Sakurai's free arm and pulls it under her body while Sakurai has one hand/arm on Nanjo's leg.  10 second left.  They stay in this position until around .8 seconds left, where Sakurai uses her foot to hook Nanjo's far leg and Sakurai is able to pull her arm out just a little and they gave Sakurai 2 right at the buzzer.  Nanjo's corner challenges and they review for a while and give one more point to Sakurai for the failed challenge making the score 5-2.  This sets up a playoff match between the two since Nanjo beat Sakurai in last December's final.

Mens 65kg- Otoguro wins the final, 9-0 and he is the 65kg rep since he won last December.

Other note:  Fujinami wins outstanding wrestler of the tournament by virtue of beating Shidochi in the semifinals.  Susaki wins best womens wrestler, Otoguro wins best mens freestyle wrestler.

Womens team:

50kg- Susaki

53kg- Fujinami

55kg- playoff match with Kataoka and Kiyooka.  Kiyooka since she won last December at this weight

57kg- playoff match between Nanjo and Sakurai

59kg- possible playoff match between Nagamoto and Risako.  Risako hasn't decided yet.

62kg- Motoki

65kg- Yoshida.  Possible playoff against Ozaki.  Ozaki can challenge since she won the senior world title last year at an Olympic weight.

68kg- playoff match with Ishii and Morikawa.

72kg- playoff match between Shindo and Niikura

76kg- playoff match between Kagami and Moro 

Mens

57kg- Higuchi

65kg- Otoguro

Edited by CA_Wrestler

4 hours ago, tgrass21 said:

Damn Yoshimoto is tough.  To give Susaki a scare like that.  Probably good for Susaki to have someone in Japan that can make her sweat.  

Yoshimoto wrestled very, very conservatively compared to their last match, but yeah, you're right.  That's why I always say that for most of the womens weights in Japan (minus 68, 72 and 76) that the national tournaments have tougher competition than the world championships.