• Playwire Ad Area

Yianni admits Cornell's "grayshirt program" is a "loophole through the redshirt system"

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

TBH, I didn't feel like listening to 10 minutes just now but did he say a loophole as to NCAA rules or to Ivy rules? Since Ivy rules are more stringent in this area it would seem to be more of an Ivy loophole. 

It's mainly an Ivy loophole since you can't red shirt, and you only get 4 years to compete for 4 years, but it also delays NCAA eligibility. Any athlete can do it while committed to any school. Outside of taking a year off campus as a few do, it's the only way to gain growth year at an Ivy.  Taking a sabbatical year at Penn was once popular.  The athlete would work an internship on Wall St. earning a ton of money and wrestlers would work out at NYAC. Matt Valenti took an internship year off before he won his two NCAA titles.   Pat Glory took a year off from Princeton in order to avoid losing a year of IVY eligibility during the COVID year cancellation.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

TBH, I didn't feel like listening to 10 minutes just now but did he say a loophole as to NCAA rules or to Ivy rules? Since Ivy rules are more stringent in this area it would seem to be more of an Ivy loophole. 

Starts around 3:05.  He doesn’t clarify but is referring to the Ivy rules.

I know this isn’t breaking news but I’m moreso not crazy about the aspect of the RTC system in general where it is legal for non-students to use school facilities yet somehow still claim that the RTC’s aren’t affiliated with the schools.  This particular facility is for wrestling only and Yianni explains that the team members have access cards specific to the facility.  I wonder if the grayshirts get access cards as well…

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

This particular facility is for wrestling only and Yianni explains that the team members have access cards specific to the facility.  I wonder if the grayshirts get access cards as well…

I suspect that is what he was referring to since a Cornell wrestler card would open other doors.  Most likely the RTC and Cornell being independent entities have a third party facility use agreement for that "other room" and the RTC pays the University for the usage agreement.  Also, a gray shirt can work, typically on behalf of a University benefactor in order to pay for living expenses.

2 minutes ago, RYou said:

I suspect that is what he was referring to since a Cornell wrestler card would open other doors.  Most likely the RTC and Cornell being independent entities have a third party facility use agreement for that "other room" and the RTC pays the University for the usage agreement.  Also, a gray shirt can work, typically on behalf of a University benefactor in order to pay for living expenses.

I was more interpreting the keycard discussion as only wrestlers had access and not all students, but not really sure.

6 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Agree... and I have no poblem with it. If they can get a "redshirt" the same as other NCAA teams by using a "gray shirt" system, then they are on equal ground. If the  other Ivies don't like it, they should start their own "gray shirt" program. I'm always mystified by those who think it's cheating when all it's doing is putting them on the same level as every non-Ivie team in the country. They are doing nothing wrong... more power to them for being innovative. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

12 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Agree... and I have no poblem with it. If they can get a "redshirt" the same as other NCAA teams by using a "gray shirt" system, then they are on equal ground. If the  other Ivies don't like it, they should start their own "gray shirt" program. I'm always mystified by those who think it's cheating when all it's doing is putting them on the same level as every non-Ivie team in the country. They are doing nothing wrong... more power to them for being innovative. 

Wasn't the bigger issue with athletes taking the many of their classes at Finger Lakes Community College (or something like that)? 

1 hour ago, DJT said:

Wasn't the bigger issue with athletes taking the many of their classes at Finger Lakes Community College (or something like that)? 

Get some general study classes out of the way and train for a year before enrolling. I don't remember that being an issue? Seems pretty smart. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I believe that many of our posters are actually incorrectly spelling the term "greyshirt," especially when dealing with Cornell wrestling.

Well… (pause for follow-up thought) 

Sports Illustrated, SB nation and USA Today use “grayshirt” 

Athletic Scholarships uses “grey shirt”

Edited by Idaho

14 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Get some general study classes out of the way and train for a year before enrolling. I don't remember that being an issue? Seems pretty smart. 

Depends who's defining "bigger issue," but I know some have complained that it is apparently much easier to get into Cornell as a transfer student than as a traditional high school graduate.   Not sure if this differs at all from other Ivies.

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

When talking about Cornell specifically, I think the main complaint is about their advantage over other Ivies.

I personally don't really have an issue with Cornell, but I think this is just yet another example of exploiting the gray area around RTC rules.

• Fire 1

58 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Cornell alum and head coach Mike Grey disagrees with SI, USA Today, and SB Nation (whatever that is.)

I would agree that Mike Grey is allowed to coin the term  for Cornell usage  On a side note, I think he earned it for what he did this past season... along with coach of the year IMO. 

55 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

When talking about Cornell specifically, I think the main complaint is about their advantage over other Ivies.

I personally don't really have an issue with Cornell, but I think this is just yet another example of exploiting the gray area around RTC rules.

Sure... they could duplicate it or keep complaining that it's unfair. I guess there is probably a lesson in here somewhere about that...

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I would agree that Mike Grey is allowed to coin the term  for Cornell usage  On a side note, I think he earned it for what he did this past season... along with coach of the year IMO. 

Try to find any internet usage of the term before Mike Grey took what is sometimes called a "gap year" in 0'6-'07...

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Try to find any internet usage of the term before Mike Grey took what is sometimes called a "gap year" in 0'6-'07...

Debatable. 
SB nations article from January of 2008 referring to it as “gray shirt” in the context of what was happening in football at the time. 
https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2008/1/15/155239/437

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

11 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Debatable. 
SB nations article from January of 2008 referring to it as “gray shirt” in the context of what was happening in football at the time. 
https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2008/1/15/155239/437

:classic_huh:

4 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

That wasnt a true Cornell finger lakes gap year if I recall correctly wasnt he originally committed to Lehigh then switched to Cornell?