• Playwire Ad Area

Oklahoma State 2023-24, 2024-25

nhs67

On 8/13/2023 at 10:10 AM, H82Lose said:

Thoughts on Beric Jordan picking Sooners over Pokes?  I don't feel like OSU fought too hard to keep the kid, do they know something we don't? Was this a money thing, or a where can I start early thing?

He didn't pick the Sooners, he settled for the Sooners.  He isn't beating out Spratley, Hughes, Carter, Jamison etc.  125-141 is stacked with young talent, he would have been sitting for a few years and went to a place he can compete to start right away.  Best of luck to him

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

He didn't pick the Sooners, he settled for the Sooners.  He isn't beating out Spratley, Hughes, Carter, Jamison etc.  125-141 is stacked with young talent, he would have been sitting for a few years and went to a place he can compete to start right away.  Best of luck to him

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night, bud.

OSU still has some work to get rid of the toxicity the Focus twins left on the program.

They will be fine.  Just not right now.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I also hope Mastro is able to fill out to 165 and beat out that turdbiscuit Fernandez.  I am still not sure how he never got a suspension last year for being a deliberate turdbiscuit.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I also hope Mastro is able to fill out to 165 and beat out that turdbiscuit Fernandez.  I am still not sure how he never got a suspension last year for being a deliberate turdbiscuit.

is that a NCAA rule?  🤷‍♀️

41 minutes ago, ionel said:

is that a NCAA rule?  🤷‍♀️

It damn well should be!

The health of these kids should be a focus and priority.  To this day I don't know how Desanto didn't get some sort of 1 game/match suspension after attempting to maim Micic at NCAAs.

Fernandez deliberately attempts to hurt his opponents.

Is there not a rule prohibiting that?  Listen.  I wrestled collegiately in the 80s and then some in 90s after college as well.  I know what it means and how you need to be tough.  There is a distinct difference between that and what he does nearly every match.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night, bud.

OSU still has some work to get rid of the toxicity the Focus twins left on the program.

They will be fine.  Just not right now.

Whatcha mean? Focus kids are gone, Mastro kids are gone, their projected & adjacent weights are no longer backfilled by Witcraft/Gfeller/Sheets/Wittlake/Surber/Doucet, legacy dudes are gone. I do hope it's an upward trajectory for the pokes and I suppose there's a lot of firsts: first year of new lineup, first year of Cowboy Wrestling Club competing in the offseason, first year of having Heil and Guerrero back in the room. It'll be the first year without Coach Espo and the second year of having Gary Wayne.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

It damn well should be!

The health of these kids should be a focus and priority.  To this day I don't know how Desanto didn't get some sort of 1 game/match suspension after attempting to maim Micic at NCAAs.

I know how - some coaches don't give a sh** about that stuff as long as you're winning. Or they want to "give a second chance" dozens of times. Its definitely not just NCAA wrestling, either. Okie State doesn't play that way - John could've kept his National Champion and brought in the two younger brothers to compete for NCs. Heck John gets pissed at his wrestlers when they showboat even a little bit after a big win. The dude wants his athletes to keep it classy.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Whatcha mean? Focus kids are gone, Mastro kids are gone, their projected & adjacent weights are no longer backfilled by Witcraft/Gfeller/Sheets/Wittlake/Surber/Doucet, legacy dudes are gone. I do hope it's an upward trajectory for the pokes and I suppose there's a lot of firsts: first year of new lineup, first year of Cowboy Wrestling Club competing in the offseason, first year of having Heil and Guerrero back in the room. It'll be the first year without Coach Espo and the second year of having Gary Wayne.

I mean the damage control he has done thus far has been excellent... he just needs to keep the ship steered correctly.

2 hours ago, alex1fly said:

I know how - some coaches don't give a sh** about that stuff as long as you're winning. Or they want to "give a second chance" dozens of times. Its definitely not just NCAA wrestling, either. Okie State doesn't play that way - John could've kept his National Champion and brought in the two younger brothers to compete for NCs. Heck John gets pissed at his wrestlers when they showboat even a little bit after a big win. The dude wants his athletes to keep it classy.

can we fact check this please? 

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Still hates his team.

Eh. His malcontent is based on individuals from what I can tell. Dude likes athletes that are driven and expresses plenty of satisfaction with kids in his media days and post-match interviews. He does get frustrated with kids that don't do basic stuff like, you know, make an attempt to get off bottom. Unfortunately we've had some real duds the last few years - like they were content to make the starting lineup and do well enough in practice but didn't want to progress past that point. Hoping that turns around this year. It should help that we likely aren't going to be plugging as many holes with athletes at incorrect weights thanks to various fiascos including the Focus kids.

19 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Minnow claiming Coleman Scott to OSU as Associate Head Coach and heir apparent to Smith.

I know Willie alluded to some “big moves,” so I’m guessing this is true.

Seems logical... with Esposito out and the rumors swirling of Smith's exit...it seems logical to hire his replacement as the assistant for a year to transition. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Has it ever happened before where a HC of a top 25-ish team has left to become a non-HC elsewhere in D1?

Will be interesting to see if there is still a real search for OSU's HC assuming Smith leaves after next year.  I have to imagine other guys will be interested that wouldn't have wanted to be Associate HC first.

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Has it ever happened before where a HC of a top 25-ish team has left to become a non-HC elsewhere in D1?

Mark Perry was maybe co-head coach at Cal Poly when he left to be an assistant at Illinois?  Forgetting the details now, but it was an odd situation...

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

This is pretty ridiculous that OSU still hasn’t announced anything about Scott

NCAA wrestling teams rarely do themselves any favors. Everything is top secret for some reason. Even the simplest things like a ***duck duck goose** schedule...