• Playwire Ad Area

Oklahoma State 2023-24, 2024-25

nhs67

3 hours ago, alex1fly said:

I haven't seen any or heard any rumblings about Plott redshirting besides forum posters saying "Should he? Could he? Would he?" And the dude just won U23s. What would he do with his redshirt year?

I for one am excited about next year's lineup. Bunch of new dudes on the mat and as coaches. It's been a weird couple years as a Pokes fan with the whole Ferrari vs Mastro feud and subsequent lineup shifts.

It's been said a few times on various podcasts - from TFW even to FRL.  Those gents usually don't just make shit up and report an opinion on it (i.e. they aren't Minnow).  They follow smoke then allow plausible deniability toe suite them from there.

Not to mention TFW is run by our resident BRAIN and he is pretty tight with the OSU gents.  For example, this last year he shared a box with them at NCAAs.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Is everyone sure Thompson can stay out of trouble?

After the Ferrari fiasco I think it'd be silly to assume anyone can stay out of trouble. But one would hope that the staff are going to have a close eye on kids' behavior and nip any nonsense in the bud.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

It's been said a few times on various podcasts - from TFW even to FRL.  Those gents usually don't just make shit up and report an opinion on it (i.e. they aren't Minnow).  They follow smoke then allow plausible deniability toe suite them from there.

Not to mention TFW is run by our resident BRAIN and he is pretty tight with the OSU gents.  For example, this last year he shared a box with them at NCAAs.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure it's been discussed and will continue to be discussed as we get closer to the season. Wittlake's status is is still a bit unknown (has another year, but is working through health issues, may or may not want to return), which seems to be the main reason for Plott potentially taking a redshirt. 

• Fire 1

On 5/31/2023 at 12:36 AM, Formally140 said:

I thought willie said that Smith was planning on retiring after this year? Or is he waiting till Fix graduates 

predicting what John W. does is a fool's errand. i have speculated on it several times but he keeps everyone on their toes.

i promise you, his own staff doesn't even know what he's going to do next.

there's even a credible possibility that he will resign later this fall. 

• Fire 4

TBD

17 hours ago, Formally140 said:

Is everyone sure Thompson can stay out of trouble?

It's not legal yet in bass ackwards Oklahoma, so 50/50 depending on what state that day's tournament is located in.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It's not legal yet in bass ackwards Oklahoma, so 50/50 depending on what state that day's tournament is located in.

If by it you mean weed then medical weed has been legal there for several years. 

But if by it you mean driving recklessly and rolling your car and nearly killing people and narrowly escaping death and harassing/raping women and shooting up your teammate's house and assaulting people and committing burglary then no, that is not legal yet in Oklahoma lol

On 6/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, nhs67 said:

I am ready to concede on Carroll.

He wasn't touched this weekend in a manner that was embarrassing for his opponents.

I would like to see him redshirt still, to allow it to clear out.  He is looking ripe for low AA this year but possible contender the following if he redshirts.

Also Jordan Williams went 65 KG, which is 143lbs.  He isn't going to be an effective 157lber next season.

Hell, OSU has 4 legit NQ takents on the roster right now and none at 149 or 157.

Agreed. I think it's more likely Jamison mans 141, with Williams/Alvarez battling for 149 and the loser of Williams/Alvarez goes 157 to compete with Mirzo (Juco transfer). No insight, just a guess.

Edited by MidwestWrest
typo
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, alex1fly said:

If by it you mean weed then medical weed has been legal there for several years. 

But if by it you mean driving recklessly and rolling your car and nearly killing people and narrowly escaping death and harassing/raping women and shooting up your teammate's house and assaulting people and committing burglary then no, that is not legal yet in Oklahoma lol

No that's the dipshit Focus family. I meant Thompson likes to vape in the bathroom during major in-season wrestling tournaments and then get caught. Sorry I thought it was clear but I guess my post was as foggy as a cloud of sour apple flavored smoke.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

No that's the dipshit Focus family. I meant Thompson likes to vape in the bathroom during major in-season wrestling tournaments and then get caught. Sorry I thought it was clear but I guess my post was as foggy as a cloud of sour apple flavored smoke.

It was tongue-in-cheek, lol

MMJ is legal in Oklahoma for 18+

Getting popped for puffing ganja is hardly worth "troublemaker" status IMO but surely others disagree. If that's the worst kind of trouble Thompson gets in during his time at OSU I'll be happy about that. 

• Fire 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:01 AM, alex1fly said:

I haven't seen any or heard any rumblings about Plott redshirting besides forum posters saying "Should he? Could he? Would he?" And the dude just won U23s. What would he do with his redshirt year?

I for one am excited about next year's lineup. Bunch of new dudes on the mat and as coaches. It's been a weird couple years as a Pokes fan with the whole Ferrari vs Mastro feud and subsequent lineup shifts.

They won't come out and say it, but I think Plott may redshirt to get a year away from Starocci and let him graduate then go and try and win a title.  As much as I like Plott nobody is on Starocci's level in college 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

They won't come out and say it, but I think Plott may redshirt to get a year away from Starocci and let him graduate then go and try and win a title.  As much as I like Plott nobody is on Starocci's level in college 

Similar to Ridge Lovett this past year trying to avoid Yianni. One the one hand, I understand the rationale, in the other hand it feels like a year long duck and against the spirit of competition 

On 6/10/2023 at 9:22 AM, Cowboy08 said:

It's risky for sure. Mid-career RS can lose momentum. But can also come back with extra fire. We'll see!

On 6/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, Cowboy08 said:

What if Starocci gets 4 this year then comes back to attempt to be the only 5x D1 champ in NCAA history?

At the end of the day OSU will likely have Fix who will be favored to finish 2nd.  They will then have Plott (or Witlake) and Olejnik who will be favored to finish 4th to 6th.  After those 3, they will have 6 guys in hunt for AA status (every weight class but 157).  Of those 6, only Surber has been around and even though he did not make AA, I give him a shot. He has shown he can improve, was one guy away from AA (197 pounder from Cornell) , and 197 pounds was loaded last year and several AAs are gone.  So I think he has a chance.  Then have 2 true freshman, and maybe 2 or 3 redshirt freshman (depending on Alveraz).

Unless one or more of the 6 in hunt for AA status move up to title contenders, OSU is  very tough dual team and at NCAAs maybe in top 5.  Not great, but a big improvement.

2 hours ago, Michael Moran said:

At the end of the day OSU will likely have Fix who will be favored to finish 2nd.  They will then have Plott (or Witlake) and Olejnik who will be favored to finish 4th to 6th.  After those 3, they will have 6 guys in hunt for AA status (every weight class but 157).  Of those 6, only Surber has been around and even though he did not make AA, I give him a shot. He has shown he can improve, was one guy away from AA (197 pounder from Cornell) , and 197 pounds was loaded last year and several AAs are gone.  So I think he has a chance.  Then have 2 true freshman, and maybe 2 or 3 redshirt freshman (depending on Alveraz).

Unless one or more of the 6 in hunt for AA status move up to title contenders, OSU is  very tough dual team and at NCAAs maybe in top 5.  Not great, but a big improvement.

The problem for Surber is that Aaron Brooks and Trent Hidlay are moving up to 197 and Stephen Buchanon will be back. It was a deep weight class last year and get arguable deep this year. 

I like Olejnik and think he has a shot at AA again but is by no means a lock. You have KOT, Carr, Amine and Hamiti as likely AA's and then a group of about 10 (Olejnik, Caliendo, Ramirez, Olguin, Kennedy, Peyton Hall, Messinbrink, etc)guys fighting for the last 4 spots.

The problem for Surber is that Aaron Brooks and Trent Hidlay are moving up to 197 and Stephen Buchanon will be back. It was a deep weight class last year and get arguable deep this year. 
I like Olejnik and think he has a shot at AA again but is by no means a lock. You have KOT, Carr, Amine and Hamiti as likely AA's and then a group of about 10 (Olejnik, Caliendo, Ramirez, Olguin, Kennedy, Peyton Hall, Messinbrink, etc)guys fighting for the last 4 spots.

I think Mesenbrink is going to smoke a lot of those dudes and will end up in the 3rd place match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard Aaron Brooks may move to 197 but kinda hoses down Bernie Truax.  Would he have transferred to sit on bench? I doubt he could make 184 again.  One would think he was pretty sure Brooks would not go to 197 before he transferred. But who knows.

As for Hidlay, when I saw him in Tulsa he didn't look that big (like he needed to move up).  Books did.

Back to Okie State.  My guess is Voinovich transferred because he was not going to start.  Tells me maybe Alveraz is at 149 and was clearly better than him in practice.  Williams was also likely better than him, so he saw he was going to be 3rd string. 

That fits with Jamison transfer.  Likely was told Young needs redshirt to recover from knee injury and Alveraz was at 149 so at most had to beat out Williams to start.  Also fits with Williams being at lower weight class at U20 as he sees he cannot beat out Alveraz and wants to start.

Jamison in interview saw he was confident he could AA as beat guys ranked in top 10.  Don't know who he beat in top 10 and may be that he felt he was better than Minn's 141 pounder in practice who was  ranked in top 10 and was good.  Jamison beat Iowa State 141 pounder at Fargo and that kid was in blood round.

If I am right, Okie State has is likely to have an AA at 141 and 149.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Moran said:

I have heard Aaron Brooks may move to 197 but kinda hoses down Bernie Truax.  Would he have transferred to sit on bench? I doubt he could make 184 again.  One would think he was pretty sure Brooks would not go to 197 before he transferred. But who knows.

As for Hidlay, when I saw him in Tulsa he didn't look that big (like he needed to move up).  Books did.

Back to Okie State.  My guess is Voinovich transferred because he was not going to start.  Tells me maybe Alveraz is at 149 and was clearly better than him in practice.  Williams was also likely better than him, so he saw he was going to be 3rd string. 

That fits with Jamison transfer.  Likely was told Young needs redshirt to recover from knee injury and Alveraz was at 149 so at most had to beat out Williams to start.  Also fits with Williams being at lower weight class at U20 as he sees he cannot beat out Alveraz and wants to start.

Jamison in interview saw he was confident he could AA as beat guys ranked in top 10.  Don't know who he beat in top 10 and may be that he felt he was better than Minn's 141 pounder in practice who was  ranked in top 10 and was good.  Jamison beat Iowa State 141 pounder at Fargo and that kid was in blood round.

Truax is a natural 184 - he was undersized last season and only bumped up for the sake of the team.  He's happy to be back at his natural weight.

For the Cowboys, I'm exited to see Jamison 

• Fire 1

Truax is super light for the weight, which is common knowledge. Sub-190 at times during the season. Brooks is going up, which is also pretty well known at this point.

5 hours ago, Le duke said:

Truax is super light for the weight, which is common knowledge. Sub-190 at times during the season. Brooks is going up, which is also pretty well known at this point.

Can confirm... actual weight on Day 2 of National Duals.  I believe they had an allowance that day too...

I imagine Brooks weighed more by 5:00 PM that day.

Screenshots_2023-03-23-22-36-17.png.08735825b7e9ee5e9289217f63a647e7.png

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Can confirm... actual weight on Day 2 of National Duals.  I believe they had an allowance that day too...

I imagine Brooks weighed more by 5:00 PM that day.

Screenshots_2023-03-23-22-36-17.png.08735825b7e9ee5e9289217f63a647e7.png

That's freaking impressive, and man, that has to make you question cutting weight if he is showing up 8 pounds light and outplacing all but 3 people in the nation at 197.

• Fire 2

5 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

That's freaking impressive, and man, that has to make you question cutting weight if he is showing up 8 pounds light and outplacing all but 3 people in the nation at 197.

You forgot to mention that he defeated the returning National Champion in the process.

Edited by nhs67