• Playwire Ad Area

Oklahoma State 2023-24, 2024-25

nhs67

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I mean... if Plott doesn't redshirt, I don't know that they are any worse off for next season.  If Lewis does go up to 184, like many are speculating, then Plott is right there in the thick of it for a Silver.

I would put 174 like this, insofar as tiers... (this is off the top of my head)...

Tier 1 - Starocci
Tier 2 - Foca, Griffith
Tier 3 - Plott, Kharchla
Tier 4 - Mocco, Brands, O'Malley, Conigliaro, Jordan, Ruth, Washington
* There are other gents in Tier 4, I am sure.  A lot of parity there.  I could also see a few gents separating from the pack and needing to split Tier 4 to Tier 4 and Tier 5.

That puts Plott right in the thick of things, with the right matchup(s).  I could also see him losing to a half dozen other gents.  I think Wittlake at this point was Tier 3 at best, but could have been Tier 4/5 in that scenario.  I am not sure.

How are you putting brands in tier 4 when he is 2-0 against plott?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, hawkguy said:

How are you putting brands in tier 4 when he is 2-0 against plott?

Is Plott losing to guys like O'Reilly, Ruth, and Jordan?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Actually the answer to that question was yes, btw.

Plott lost to a couple gents early in the season.  I think I mentally ignored it due to knowing that he was banged up a bit?

Still... they're my tiers.  You should do your own @hawkguy.

I have explained my method of tiers a few times, not that you should know.

Basically a guy can beat a guy up or down a tier from him without it being a surprise.  They shouldn't jump more than a tier unless there is injury or some other extraordinary circumstance(s) involved.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Actually the answer to that question was yes, btw.

Plott lost to a couple gents early in the season.  I think I mentally ignored it due to knowing that he was banged up a bit?

Still... they're my tiers.  You should do your own @hawkguy.

I have explained my method of tiers a few times, not that you should know.

Basically a guy can beat a guy up or down a tier from him without it being a surprise.  They shouldn't jump more than a tier unless there is injury or some other extraordinary circumstance(s) involved.

I'm not convinced that Griffith will be a tier 2 guy. Foca might be tier 2 alone. 

Personally, I would go

1 - Starrocci

2- Foca

3- Plott, Griffith, Brands, Kharchala

4- Mocco, Devos, O'Malley, Conigliaro, Jordan, Ruth, Washington, Picklo

• Fire 2

On 7/5/2023 at 5:50 PM, Michael Moran said:

So I give them 8 AA, but 4 of the 8 low AA (5th to 8th).  Doesn't get them close to Penn St but better than a ton better than last year.

That's fine with me. I'll be very pleased with a confidence boosting year, getting back in the saddle as it were with a bunch of new faces. We need to worry about fielding a solid lineup and maintaining momentum more than we need to worry about other teams. Never mind the maybe-allowed-maybe-not-hopefully-nobody-looks-into-it-too-deeply methods they use to achieve & maintain success.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:16 AM, bnwtwg said:

That's a shame. He was climbing to high places until he got hurt junior year - after his true frosh and RS frosh performances I thought he was going to leave OSU with a title.

Amen. We all had high hopes for Travis. Really nice guy along with being a mat monster. Not flashy, but stingy. Some flashes of Dean Heil - didn't blow many people away (unless they were just not his caliber) but had many, many, many solid wins and was a reliable dude in the lineup. Also a bummer he didn't get to get cheered on at Senior Night - I think he was considering another year until his latest injury at NCAAs. Maybe if he's still in Stillwater he'll get some cheers at 2024 Senior Night... dude certainly deserves it!

Edited by alex1fly
  • Fire 2

22 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Is Plott losing to guys like O'Reilly, Ruth, and Jordan?

Is brands losing to guys like Olmos, mocco, and devos? I thought it was well known that brands was I believe a car accident at the start of the year. Which kind of explains his early season results

Edited by hawkguy

21 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Is brands losing to guys like Olmos, mocco, and devos? I thought it was well known that brands was I believe a car accident at the start of the year. Which kind of explains his early season results

You are pretty late to the party.  I answered the question myself.

In any case, they are my tiers.  Make your own if you believe you can do better.  I am doubling down.

• Fire 2

On 6/25/2023 at 1:41 PM, Gus said:

Yep, a sure sign on a deep weight class. And the success that Sloan, Elam and Cardenas have had on the world stage shows the overall talent of the weight class. 

Parity doesn’t mean was a great weight class.  Weakest or second weakest weight class there was.  Very limited at the top 

On 6/25/2023 at 12:33 PM, Gus said:

Max Dean was a returning champ that took 7th. Cardenas was a silver at U23’s and took 8th. I’d say there was depth at 197. Trumble, Beard, Braunegel, Allred, Bastida didn’t place 

Dean was far off his status from last year. 

16 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

Parity doesn’t mean was a great weight class.  Weakest or second weakest weight class there was.  Very limited at the top 

16 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

Dean was far off his status from last year. 

Parity with wrestlers (Elam, Sloan, Cardenas, Amos) that have had proven success in age level world events does indicate a strong weight class though. 

Dean had close matches two seasons ago, just found ways to win them. He dropped a couple close matches during the season last year and then Allred was his Achilles heel.  

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Parity with wrestlers (Elam, Sloan, Cardenas, Amos) that have had proven success in age level world events does indicate a strong weight class though. 

Dean had close matches two seasons ago, just found ways to win them. He dropped a couple close matches during the season last year and then Allred was his Achilles heel.  

Age level world events don’t make you a great college wrestler.  Sorry.  Brooks and Hidlay moving up to 197 immediately make this weight class much stronger than LY.  There is now elite talent 

48 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:
2 hours ago, Gus said:

Age level world events don’t make you a great college wrestler.  Sorry.  Brooks and Hidlay moving up to 197 immediately make this weight class much stronger than LY.  There is now elite talent 

Expand  

?

49 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:
2 hours ago, Gus said:

Expand  

2 hours ago, JimmyBT said:
4 hours ago, Gus said:

Age level world medals don't automatically make you an elite college wrestler, but they are very indicative or future success. When you have a bunch of world age level medals in the same weight class it shows the depth and strength of that weight class. 

On 7/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, Gus said:

Age level world medals don't automatically make you an elite college wrestler, but they are very indicative or future success. When you have a bunch of world age level medals in the same weight class it shows the depth and strength of that weight class. 

27 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Thanks for telling us how it is.  That other guy was getting annoying with his facts.

He’s just Trying to justify his guy taking second place. 

47 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Thanks mods for policing the arguments without deleting our thread! Much appreciated.

You are most welcome.  Got a bit fuzzy there.  Thought I was going to have to lace em up to defend my family honour.